Sweet Potatoes with Pumpkin?

Get innovations here.
LINDA RN
Master Member

Re: Sweet Potatoes with Pumpkin?

Post by LINDA RN »

When I did it, I baked a whole sweet potato in my turbo before work, but you could also "Nuke" it.
Then in a medium-sized Pyrex bowl I put in one large can of pumpkin puree and one 20oz can of crushed pineapple. I mixed them together with a spoon and added perhaps a TBSP Pumpkin Pie spice. I eyeballed it and kept adding until I felt like I had enough. Then I spooned some out and added the warmed sweet potato and gave it a good stir. I actually ate the whole potato along with sufficient pumpkin/pineapple to make it creamy for my lunch and did well. The next day I ate the leftovers for a midmorning snack without the potato and my sugar bottomed out and I ate corn thins to compensate and just continued to feel awful all day. The potato really kept me satisfied. I am doing my best not to go to work unprepared like that again.
Last edited by LINDA RN on February 28th, 2011, 2:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Linda
"And ye shall eat in plenty, and be satisfied, and praise the name of the LORD your God, that hath dealt wondrously with you: and my people shall never be ashamed. Joel 2:26

Taste and see that the Lord is good...
LINDA RN
Master Member

Post by LINDA RN »

Guess you could call it a Crustless Sweet Potato/Pumpkin Pie LDL Style
Linda
"And ye shall eat in plenty, and be satisfied, and praise the name of the LORD your God, that hath dealt wondrously with you: and my people shall never be ashamed. Joel 2:26

yoyodieter
New, but learning

Post by yoyodieter »

Sweet potato/Pumpkin cakes for dessert. Mash cooked sweet potato and some pumpkin. Add 2 tbs chick pea flour, some cinnamon and nutmeg. 2 tbsp fat free yogurt to bind it. Mix and form into patties. In a non stick pan put a tbsp EVO and cook patties until browed and crisp.Can add a tbsp fat free Cool Whip and it makes a scrumptious dessert. Feels like you are cheating on your diet.
These can be made savoury as well by adding cumin, cilantro, garam masala, pepper flakes S&P.
LINDA RN
Master Member

Post by LINDA RN »

I would bet they would taste even sweeter if sauteed in EVCO.
Linda

yoyodieter
New, but learning

Post by yoyodieter »

Yes Linda, they are definitely sweeter that way. I like the crispy outside. I see you add pineapple to your " pie". I have roasted fresh pineapple slices in the oven and grilled it on BBQ. The grilled pineapple would go well the the sweet potato cakes topped with cool whip.
LINDA RN
Master Member

Post by LINDA RN »

Oh yeah, a mini upsidedown cake?? Right side up....without the fattening goo.
OK I am hungry!
Linda

yayatrudy

Post by yayatrudy »

I must be doing something wrong,,I tried it both ways cold and fried and nope I didn't like it.. I added a bit more flour(garbonso) and put them on a baking sheet that I sprayed with Pam and then sprayed the top..Baked at 350 for twenty minutes and while it was a bit better it is not something I will make again.  I think it needs more sweetner and spices I have a big dish leftover I will doctor it up and try again tomorrow.
LINDA RN
Master Member

Post by LINDA RN »

Never got around to trying these.
Don't have any garbanzo flour. I do have some coconut flour but have never got it out to try anything.
I have been happy without the foods made with flour so long, no desire to try.
Now if I had grandkids around I would try more things as a healthier alternative
Linda

irisann

Post by irisann »

I didn't know sweet potaoes were allowed! How about shiratake noodle? They are made from tofu. Thank you and have a blessed day!
LINDA RN
Master Member

Post by LINDA RN »

Sweey potatoes are allowed because they are unprocessed.
The noodles are processed. You will just have to see how they affect you.
But for general purposes they are not recommended.
I personally prefer spaghetti squash in place of noodles.
Linda