Alpha Lipoic Acid

Get innovations here.
CodingQueen
Master Member

Alpha Lipoic Acid

Post by CodingQueen »

Alpha Lipoic Acid (also known as ALA) has been used to treat patients suffering from neuropathy (nerve damage) related to diabetes, alcoholism, HIV and other diseases but it also helps with weight loss by controlling blood sugar spikes and other issues. The following website is just a few of the problems that it's been known to help. I wish I could find a website that listed all of the issues I've been told that it helps. If you get a chance, do a Google search to find out more on the subject.....CQ

http://www.alpha-lipoic-acid.com/herbal ... d-benefits
barrypaxton
Master Member

Re: Alpha Lipoic Acid

Post by barrypaxton »

Phyllis & I both take ALA. Her cancer doctor recommended it.

Ollie
LDL since 10/13/2009.....Reached Goal Weight 2/14/2011.....88 lbs lost

Make everyday an LDL day!!!        

Life without God is like an unsharpened pencil - it has no point.
LINDA RN
Master Member

Post by LINDA RN »

I was not suffering form any of those conditions, then I found it!
ALA helps wrinkles!
Linda
"And ye shall eat in plenty, and be satisfied, and praise the name of the LORD your God, that hath dealt wondrously with you: and my people shall never be ashamed. Joel 2:26

Taste and see that the Lord is good...
barrypaxton
Master Member

Post by barrypaxton »

Phyllis's Dr says it is very good for the skin. Just an added benefit!!!

Ollie
LDL since 10/13/2009.....Reached Goal Weight 2/14/2011.....88 lbs lost

Make everyday an LDL day!!!        

Life without God is like an unsharpened pencil - it has no point.
vickiann

Post by vickiann »

Those of you that are taking the ALA, how much do you take?  Thanks!

Vicki
crickadoodle
Master Member

Post by crickadoodle »

Vicki -- The link CQ gave tells you of a study where the ones who got the greatest benefits took 600 mg.  Here is the excerpt I found that info in:

---- "ALA demonstrated positive results for the treatment of diabetic neuropathy in two major studies. The first Alpha-Lipoic Acid in Diabetic Neuropathy (ALADIN) study evaluated three intravenous doses of alpha-lipoic acid and involved 328 type 2 diabetics with neuropathy. These patients were treated with 1,200 mg, 600 mg, or 100 mg of the antioxidant or a placebo for a period of three weeks. Improvements of 30% or more in symptom scores were seen in 71% of the 1,200-mg group, in 82% of the 600-mg group, in 65% of the 100-mg group, and in 58% of the placebo group. The second study, called the "ALADIN II Study," analyzed results from the study of 65 patients receiving two oral dosages of alpha-lipoic acid (600 mg/day or 1,200 mg/day) or placebo over a 2-year period. Initially, patients with type 1 or type 2 diabetes. Although the trial "was not sufficiently rigorous" to assess overall efficacy, the investigators did note evidence of clinically meaningful improvement in neuropathic function.[4] In other clinical trials, Alpha Lipoic Acid and vitamin E were found to reduce neuropathic symptoms or to correct nerve conduction velocity."
CodingQueen
Master Member

Post by CodingQueen »

It depends on what you're taking it for.

Like Crick said, 600 mg is best for diabetic neuropathy divided between breakfast and lunch (300 mg each).

For wrinkle prevention then you only need 200 mg divided as above.

For weight loss then you need 250-500 mg divided as above.

For everything else, I don't know but I can find out on Monday.

CQ
vickiann

Post by vickiann »

Thank you for the information; I ordered the 600mg to use for diabetic neuropathy. Unfortunately I ordered before reading to take 300mg twice a day. I'll do that on the next bottle.

Vicki
Joyful Friend
Master Member

Post by Joyful Friend »

Use a pill cutter.  :thumbsup:  JF
LINDA RN
Master Member

Post by LINDA RN »

The ALA I got is a capsule
Linda
"And ye shall eat in plenty, and be satisfied, and praise the name of the LORD your God, that hath dealt wondrously with you: and my people shall never be ashamed. Joel 2:26

Taste and see that the Lord is good...
CodingQueen
Master Member

Post by CodingQueen »

I got a chance to to talk with one of the Docs and he said that 30-50 mg. a day was recommended for every day use unless you were using it to treat things like alcoholic/diabetic neuropathy, AIDS/HIV, chronic hepatitis B/C, cirrhosis, glaucoma, etc. If that's the case, then not to go over 600 mg. a day but to talk to your PCP before taking it.

CQ