How to choose from seven easy-to-find types of squash

Get innovations here.
CodingQueen
Master Member

How to choose from seven easy-to-find types of squash

Post by CodingQueen »

I recently found this at eatingwell.com....CQ

Although available all year, winter squash is best enjoyed during harvest season—late summer through early winter. Choose very hard squash: press firmly all over to make sure the rind isn’t soft (a sign of immaturity or improper storage.) During harvest season, look for vivid colors—the skin color should not look washed out. Later in the year, after the squash has been stored, the skin color may fade as the flesh becomes sweeter. Regardless of the season, the skin should not look shiny—a sign that it’s either underripe or that it’s waxed, possibly masking bad quality. Choose squash with a remnant of the dried-out stem still attached, like a small knob at one end. A missing stem can be a sign of mold and bacteria growth inside. Store in a cool spot with good air circulation (not the refrigerator, but a cool pantry or cellar) for up to a month. If you buy precubed squash at your market, make sure the pieces are dry, firm and vivid in color. Avoid those that look wet or desiccated with sunken striations in the flesh.

Acorn

A moderately sized variety almost always available in supermarket bins even in the summer. The flesh can be watery; prolonged cooking concentrates the flavor.

Buttercup

An old-fashioned squash with a characteristic little cap at the stem; full of natural sugars and fiber, a delectable treat in midwinter.

Butternut

Perhaps the most versatile winter squash, sweet and light when cooked but also substantial—thus able to stand up to both long cooking and quick sautés.

Hubbard

Available in blue or gold varieties with somewhat warty skins. Ranges in size from 5 to 40 pounds; perfect cubed and roasted or for purées.

Kabocha

Actually a name for a set of squash varietals from Japan with consistently deep, honey-scented flavors.

Red Kuri

Now sometimes called “red curry,” a relative of the kabocha with many seeds, less meat and with a deep, pear-scented taste.

Spaghetti Squash

Oblong and mild in flavor, when cooked its flesh yields myriad threads, sort of like little spaghetti strands, best removed with a fork.
LINDA RN
Master Member

Re: How to choose from seven easy-to-find types of squash

Post by LINDA RN »

Thanks, CQ
Linda
"And ye shall eat in plenty, and be satisfied, and praise the name of the LORD your God, that hath dealt wondrously with you: and my people shall never be ashamed. Joel 2:26

Taste and see that the Lord is good...
VickiLynn
Master Member

Post by VickiLynn »

CQ..  Will you please research why one should not store squash in the refrig?  I have always kept mine in the refrig.  My supermarket sells all of the squash mentioned in your topic except for the Kobacha and Red Kuri and the only one I have never bought is the Hubbard.  My favorite is still the Butternut.
CodingQueen
Master Member

Post by CodingQueen »

VickiLynn,

According to the North Carolina State University, the ideal temperature to store pumpkin and winter squash is 50 degrees. The ideal temperature for a refrigerator is between 35 and 38 degrees.

Neither one of my grandmothers stored their winter squash in the fridge and they taught me how to cook so I've always done what they did.

CQ
Last edited by CodingQueen on November 14th, 2011, 2:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BMorg

Post by BMorg »

I recently visited my daughter in Gallatin, and she was having a dinner party for some friends, who happened to eat gluten-free. So she found a recipe she wanted to try: pork tenderloin roasted with butternut squash and sliced apples. It was delicious. But I have to admit, I had NEVER fixed a butternut squash before in my life. And I had a TERRIBLE time trying to peel that thing. Finally had to get her big strong husband to finish peeling it. Is there a trick? And do they HAVE to be peeled or could I have left the peel on?
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/w0n7Qks/]

Beth M.
RESTART 10/14/11
10/14/11 Wheat Belly: 49 inches :/   11/4/11 Wheat Belly: 46 inches :)
Psalm 27:13
I would have lost heart, unless I had believed that I would see the goodness of the LORD In the land of the living.
MsHeirloom
Master Member

Post by MsHeirloom »

Beth- I peel mine with a high quality vegetable peeler.  The little cheap ones don't work.

http://www.amazon.com/OXO-Good-Grips-Pr ... 610&sr=8-2
It's $12 but worth every penny when you're conquering a butternut squash.  How much is it worth to save a finger  :shock: ?
lulu65

Post by lulu65 »

that is the same type of peeler I use Pam.. Works very well.
I keep my squash in an unheated garage and cover with blankets etc if necessary and I have squash well into January..If too cold like mid 30's I bring inside...  I have kept them in fridge too Mary...
LINDA RN
Master Member

Post by LINDA RN »

I was told farmers around here would store their pumpkins in the barn covered with hay and they would last most of the winter for cow feed. So before you toss that pumpkin rind see if there are any cows or horses in your area who might love the treat!
Last edited by LINDA RN on November 14th, 2011, 10:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Linda
"And ye shall eat in plenty, and be satisfied, and praise the name of the LORD your God, that hath dealt wondrously with you: and my people shall never be ashamed. Joel 2:26

Taste and see that the Lord is good...