Exercise, the dreaded subject....

Get innovations here.
niki

Re: Exercise, the dreaded subject....

Post by niki »

that's great,mary...love to hear it..as we get older,i think our bodies really need it...i've ALWAYS loved it....now i do crunches every day(and some facial exercises)and every other day i do stretching,crunches,pushups,weights for lats,deltoids,triceps and biceps...and squats and lunges with weights.......i put worship music on and i feel so free..........niki 
BigBen

Post by BigBen »

Maybe i'll see if theres somewhere near me where I can swim, it sounds like a great idea.  Till now my major exersize has been changing the channels with my remote control.  ha ha.  But after a couple a months on LDL I M definitely feeling less like a couch potato and I wanna start doing something without making my body go into shock or something.  My goal is to one day be able to play some kinda sports but that is definitely when i have lost some more weight.  We're all getting there, right?  BigBen
niki

Post by niki »

if you're starting out,ben,my recomendation to you is that you start walking...i'm going to assume you don't have any restrictions to your activity....you know wether you need to see your dr first...start out moderately.....walk a certain distance...i always stretch before i walk because i get shin splints really easily...start out gradually and work up to a point where you're exerting yourself more and more....set goals for yourself,increasing the length of your walk and the intensity.....you could start this while you look for a place that offers aqua aerobics......if you do this,keep me posted as to your success..............niki
nyKath

Post by nyKath »

Ben, if there are no local YMCAs or YWCAs, you might see if a local high school or college with a swimming pool offers open swims to the public. One that hosts a local swim team here in NY has a few lanes open on certain days of the week for the public to swim for free, sometimes at night and sometimes on the weekends at certain hours. Definitely worth checking out in your area, too! Just get moving, even in some small way. Good luck to ya! :) ....NYKath
BigBen

Post by BigBen »

You ladies are so nice to me.  I M gonna start walking more and like 1 of youse said holding maybe a can of beans in my hands which will make Miss Nikki happy and also make me exersize well.  When i've got the hang of that I M gonna go to the halloween party and then i'll swim and then i'll play tennis at the 'Ranch. 

Seeing I'll be so busy, PLEEEEZe will 1 of U come to my place and cook my food tomorrow.  Thx,  Ben
EnJae
Master Member

Post by EnJae »

Hahahaha!

Nope Ben;
No one coming to cook for you, so head to bed so you'll have energy to cook tomorrow!
Ha!

NJ
niki

Post by niki »

hi ben....so an energetic walk will be what you'll need to have the energy to get busy in the kitchen...but don't carry anything in your hands(not even beans)..it puts too much stress on your shoulders and studies show it doesn't really have that much of an effect on calories burned.....................niki
nyKath

Post by nyKath »

One can go to www.walking.about.com or other sites out there to find out about adding weights to walking. Some pros will say yes, some will say no. The different exercise videos are also yes and no about this. It's up to each to do your own research and find your own comfort level as far as this goes. :) NYKath
Queenie
Administrator

Post by Queenie »

Kathy,

I've not been to that site, but I once read about a weight vest.  Adding the weight to your torso, rather to your shoulders as Niki pointed out.  Some people even add how much they've lost to the vest (the one that I looked at a long time ago would let you add one pound at a time), to get an idea of how hard it was for them to do this exercise before they lost. 

I may look into this again.

Carolyn
My Weight Loss ProgressImage

John's Weight Loss ProgressImage

[b][i]"The journey of a thousand miles begins with the first step."
niki

Post by niki »

hi guys..that is my opinion...when i was still working at bally's we were introduced to the reebok program of power walking...from all the studies they did,using additional weights did not really help anything and just increased the risk of injury...you want to stretch before you start...start slowly,gradually increasing in intensity......in this particular instance,i wouldn't tell anyone to look for info online...there are times that you can find every opinion on the planet online and in this one particular case, i would like you to consider my opinion as a rehab certified RN and a fitness instructor(former)..start walking ad gradually increase the intensity of your workout.......your bodyweight is MORE than sufficient to challenge you........and you don't need to add weight as you lose weight....you will still be MORE than sufficiently challenged...i used to power walk anywhere from 3 1/2 miles to 7 miles a number of times a week and was in GREAT shape....i highly recommend it.........    
  kathy,if you prefer to use weights,go right ahead...
                                               sincerely,niki
Last edited by niki on October 8th, 2006, 2:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
EnJae
Master Member

Post by EnJae »

I figure I am carrying enough extra weight... HaHa
NJ
niki

Post by niki »

me too....there's this guy that has a whole program that uses NO weights....your body weight is your resistance...WHY risk injuring yourself?...the rotator cuff in your shoulder is very easily injured and not easily repaired.....when injured,there is often irreparable damage...we'll stay in GREAT shape when we power walk on the trails we'll have on the ranch.......niki
niki

Post by niki »

very funny,miss mary.....haha....i'll get you yet...... 8)
BigBen

Post by BigBen »

if U R sure no one will call the cops on me, I will do it Miss Mary.  U will probably see the story in all the newspapers.  Ben
DEBBIEWEBE

Post by DEBBIEWEBE »

PSST forget the newspapers....just post the picture next to your name on the message boards!!!!
DEBBIE
Queenie
Administrator

Post by Queenie »

Debbie - I just went to your homepage - why don't you put your picture on the LDL board? 

Carolyn
My Weight Loss ProgressImage

John's Weight Loss ProgressImage

[b][i]"The journey of a thousand miles begins with the first step."
nyKath

Post by nyKath »

I agree with Carolyn! Wow, Deb, you're so pretty! :) ....NYKath
DEBBIEWEBE

Post by DEBBIEWEBE »

Carolyn,
I wish I could. I tried like five times and all I get is this stupid red X so I compromised and just put the link in.  Im not computer smart enough to figure out how to correct it.  I read the links you put out a few days ago regarding how to fix the red x but its over my head!!!! I even had a friend whos pretty good on the computer take a look at it but he couldnt figure it out either.
: (
Sorry
Debbie