Exercise, the dreaded subject....

Get innovations here.
Sarah
New, but learning

Exercise, the dreaded subject....

Post by Sarah »

Hi All!  Thought I might bring up that dreaded subject....  It is wonderful we can lose weight without it on this plan....  but our goal is to GET HEALTHY as well, and I believe incorporating exercise in our lives is going to really enhance this plan tremendously.

What type of exercise do you do? Although I've always been a serious "exercise-hater" I am walking and jogging now for my health!

I am a 51 year old female and I need to lose about 30 pounds.  (currently size 14, my goal is a size 10)  I just know that if I don't incorporate exercise into my life, my body is just going to slowly wear out!  I have taken up using the treadmill walking and jogging for 3 to 5 miles a day.  Me!  An exercise-hater!  Woo-hoo!  ;D  God is good~  helping me change my habits to eat right (yay, LDL!) and exercise.

Do you exercise?  Eating this way AND exercise~  I feel wonderful.  Hope you are experiencing the same thing.  Want to share your experience with exercise?

Sarah
jeandolleen

Re: Exercise, the dreaded subject....

Post by jeandolleen »

Hi Sarah, I also am using the treadmill at least 30 mins. - 3 times a week, & I do some taebo a couple of times a week also. I do like to walk but I have pain in my foot so I limit my walking to the treadmill.  I just turned 60 in June, & I want to lose about 30-35 lbs more (so far 8lbs). I remember when 60 sounded old but now it isn't so bad.  Oh well , yes God is sooooo goood.  take care and keep up the good work.  Jean  8)
TNangela

Post by TNangela »

Sarah,
I personally like Pilates...I do the Winsor Pilates as well as others here on the board.  The reason I enjoy them is they sculpt your body using your abs or powerhouse as the center of your workout, and these are done on a mat and not jumping around sweating all over the place.  I had knee surgery several years ago so the above mentioned exercise does not work well for me.  Walking as a favorite exercise of mine also.  I am too hyper to do a treadmill though... I need scenery :-)
ANG
niki

Post by niki »

hi sarah....i on the other hand LOVE to exercise...i worked for bally's for about 10 yrs as an aerobic instructor and when i had a problem with fatigue related to my thyroid,i hated not having the energy to work out....i just started back working out last month...i like to do a workout with weights doing squats and lunges with deltoids and biceps....some floor work,crunches and pushups to get a full body workout....and i like to power walk...............niki      
Last edited by niki on August 13th, 2006, 8:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sarah
New, but learning

Post by Sarah »

LOL....  Roger, there IS no "exercise" that God created that I "like"....  but I'm trying to get used to it!    Once I do it, I feel wonderful....  for some reason I just have a "bad starter" or something!  ;)

Great suggestions and ideas, Guys.  I have a hill near my house~  I think I am going to start walking up and down it a few times a week!

Sarah
Bobbi

Post by Bobbi »

We have a treadmill that is also good for storing boxes on.  ;)

I used to pick a good show on TV & walk the entire show, then go take a nice shower. I actually did this for quite awhile, but I did not change my eating habits so nothing ultimately changed.
I have been doing LDL for almost a full month & I think that I will begin to incorporate the walking back into it next week. I know I personally would feel better if I knew I was excercising as well. Plus, it should help speed up the weight loss some.
niki

Post by niki »

that's a great idea bobbi...take those boxes off that treadmill.............niki
Gammamel
New, but learning

Post by Gammamel »

I joined Curves a couple of months ago and I love it.  It's an all women program with a rotation of machines.  I go three times a week.  I hadn't lost any weight on it, however, so that's why I started LDL.  I'm sure the combo is going to work.  Like you, I'd like to lose about 40 pounds.
niki

Post by niki »

sarah..what you need is an exercise buddy to go up and down that hill with you..........
mel...going to a gym is a good idea...when you first start exercising,you get more of a benefit to your metabolism from it than when your body adjusts to it...my body became accustomed to the 3 classes a week that i taught...i took other people's classes..i weight trained 2-4 times a week depending on wether i worked the whole body or devided the muscle groups...i used to go to the gym to walk the track or use a stairclimber on a free day...i almost lived at the gym...i used to drop my kids off at school and keep going............
   so try to find stuff that you LIKE to do,because that is what makes you stick to something...once i got divorced and i was working full time plus overtime,i stopped teaching aerobics....then i started power walking anywhere from 3 1/2 - 7 miles a number of times a week...i used to walk down by the water(tara grace  will know i mean john burns park)and i used to talk to the geese as i walked with worship music for walking in my ears(i need some new music as i start doing that again...i wonder if anyone knows where i can get some from)..i don't think i can walk with my dog anymore around the neighborhood....katie has hip dysplasia and i think it's too much for her...she loves to do it...she get's excited if i put on my sneakers.......but,i think it's too much for her...so i might have to start doing it at the park again...............take care you guys as you continue to improve the quality of your lives......of COURSE,the best improvement is the presence of the living God.....niki   
Last edited by niki on August 2nd, 2006, 7:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gammamel
New, but learning

Post by Gammamel »

I agree, Nikki, that you must do something you enjoy or you'll get burned out.  I do like to walk, and I work at a campus that has beautiful walking paths, so I do that also.  Lately it's just been too hot, or when it's not hot it's raining.  Thanks for the encouragement.
niki

Post by niki »

hi mel..you can't help that...thank God that let's do lunch does not rely on exercise............niki
rhernan216

Post by rhernan216 »

me either...i walk a little faster to the table when it's time to eat, walk a little faster to the office from the parking garage and back to the car after work and mow my lawn at quicker pace than normal. I sweep out my garage at home once a week and the sidewalk. That is the only excercise i get and my wieght is dropping off of me. Now if i actually used that treadmill i have instead of hanging clothes on it i could probably do much better,right?
Richard Hernandez
Sarah
New, but learning

Post by Sarah »

LOL!  You guys are TOO funny!  ;D

I can't get exercise alone to work for me, I can't get diet alone to work for me (anything in the past anyway...)  so I conclude I've just gotta do both?!  But it's SOOO good to hear you guys say you CAN lose without exercise on LDL!!  That's good news!  (but I'm not going to chance it YET...  I'm too impatient!!)

Keep on losing!
Sarah
preachwife

Post by preachwife »

Hi! I have been reading this website for about 5 weeks when I started ldl.  I get up every morning to see if there is anything new to read.  I am like Mary Simmons. I do not like to exercise and I finally admit it to people. I used to act like I did before, because it was the IN thing. Kind of like breast feeding. I finally told all the grils at church it was their choice and not to worry about everyone elses opinions.  It was like I set them free from the guilt and they always thanked me. Soooo I was glad Mary spoke up and had the nerve to say She doesn't exercise. Amen to that from my corner. We pastor a large church and I stay very busy physically with all the responsibilties that it involves.  I have intoduced this way of eating to our church secretary and she has already lost 10 pounds and I have lost 2, but I am not overweight so My weight will be slower. Our choir at church has caught on to LDL and I am helping them with the program. One  lady has lost 10 pounds in one week and her mother and father told me Sunday that they feel great on it. I am starting a class for Lets Do Lunchers on Wednasday nights.  I lost 60 pounds on weight watchers 30 years ago and have kept it off except for a 10 to 15 pound up and down.  I am down now to 135lbs 5'71/2" The people at church know I diet all the time and I try to be an example of discipline.  My husband even jokes in his semons about my diets. There will be 700 people hearing about Let's Do Lunch in the next few weeks. We might have to sell the books in our book store. Ha! Now he is telling the church our kitchen  home smells like India.  When we were there he couldn't stand the smell of the food.  I loved it. I made Marys Isrelli Chick Pea Soup.
niki

Post by niki »

that's wonderful that let's do lunch is being made known to so many people...and for you yourself,a way of eating that is SO much easier to maintain...God bless you,preacher's wife,in ALL that you do.......niki 
nyKath

Post by nyKath »

Hi all! Those of you who don't need exercise are VERY lucky, indeed! But on the flip side here, there are those like me who need to exercise no matter what kind of food intake we have or the fat will just be stuck with us forever. Been on all the plans, with and without exercise, including LDL. Nothing happens to the shape of my curves or the flatness of my belly unless I'm doing aerobics and lifting some weights. (I don't hit the gym; I do my exercises from home on videos and DVDs.) For some of us, it's a harsh reality. While I don't like to exercise, it's just something that I have to do having been an on and off dieter most of my life. My metabolism is such that it's a necessity in order to burn fat. I slap the snooze button, ignore my creaking tendons, and just get up and do it, and thank God that I have the ability to move and do my exercises, after all. :) Some people are not so lucky.... and I will definitely agree with Tress on moving around once an hour at a sedentary job, if only to hit the bathroom, get some water, or do some deep knee bends or fanny tucks by a window. Keeps your blood moving and will prevent clots and swelling in your legs. Good luck all! ...:) NYKath
niki

Post by niki »

ok..this is where i stand up and say "my name is niki and i LOVE to exercise"......i do it for the sheer pleasure i get....i started exercising when my son who is 26 now,was 3.......i started doing jazzercize....then i moved and joined lucille roberts....i didn't feel the instructors were giving me a lengthy enough workout,so i started bringing my own taped music and using an empty room...someone there asked me to fill in teaching one of the classes and then they started giving me regular classes to teach...when they started building a bally's(at that time it was called "jack lalane's")and i heard they were hiring instructors,i went,tried out and they hired me...i worked in a number of small gyms besides...
  i was working out hours a day and when my thyroid function decreased,i STILL gained weight....i went 3 months where i ate next to nothing WHILE i was exercising and didn't lose an ounce...
  that's why i totally agree with roger about the effectiveness of exercise on weight loss....i do believe that you can shape your body with weights and different types of exercises...but i very honestly don't really believe your metabolism is as affected as some people would like to believe....ALSO,when people think they're gaining muscle and therefore not showing a loss,they don't understand that it takes long term intensive exercise to build that kind of muscle.....
  you DO accomplish tremendous cardiovascular benefits...you do help your metabolism a little...but not as much as people think....it does release endorphins which make you feel good...it does increase your energy levels...before i had a problem with my thyroid the second time,i was power walking anywhere from 3 1/2 to 7 miles a number of times a week and i felt great...if it was really exercise that makes you lose weight,i should have lost weight at that time without much dieting....i cut down my eating BIG TIME and i lost some weight....
  c'mon everyone...it's so wonderful to challenge your body...i resented the fact that my body betrayed me when i got too tired to power walk.....it's not because it's cool....it's because it's a wonderful thing to do for yourself.........
  mary only says that she hates to exercise...she's waiting until we get to the ranch so she can be my first success story...............................niki 
mary mary
New, but learning

Post by mary mary »

Hi everybody. Just wanted to add my 2 cents about exercising.  The only way that I can exercise is in the water.  I go to the YMCA 3 times a week and do 2 hours of water aerobics.  No impact on the joints and the water also massages you at the same time.  Give it a try, but I will warn you that it is very addictive.  :D

mary mary