watermelon

Get innovations here.
intune878

watermelon

Post by intune878 »

watermelon is okay, right?  I have been told in the past that even though it is mostly water it still had a lot of sugar in it.  ??? diane

greenheron

Re: watermelon

Post by greenheron »

Hi, Intune,

You MUST be a newbie ;)  You can eat your weight, in watermelon, Honey! :) :)  There are VERY few fruits and vegetables we can't eat, and if you want watermelon, dig in!  In the beginning, you should be eating all the fruit you want, anytime, any kind.  So many of us who have previously been on "no fruit, no corn, no beans" diets are LOVING being able to eat watermelon, strawberries, cherries, apple, oranges, bananas, corn on the cob, chili, etc etc.

Later on, when your cravings are under control and your body has settled into a routine (it WILL happen, naturally) you'll probably want fruit for breakfast, and some for supper, but not the rest of the day.  Let that happen in its own time, but for the time being, enjoy all the watermelon and other fruits you want!
Last edited by greenheron on June 24th, 2009, 12:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
LittlePrincess
Master Member

Post by LittlePrincess »

Hi intune,

I just wanted to chime in.  YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!  :thumbsup:  ;D  ;D  ;D

I LURVE watermelon!!!!!  Had some for breakfast this morning actually!  WOOT! 

(In Faith)  LP
All you will ever be is you.  Learn to love it.

Post by heretotheend »

Watermelon is the fruit that I eat the most.  LOVE  LOVE  LOVE watermelon
intune878

Post by intune878 »

Thanks, ya'll!  I will continue to eat the watermelon.  I love it!  ;p

powder99

Post by powder99 »

I love watermelon. My last diet suggested I could never really eat it again. Yeah right.
MsHeirloom
Master Member

Post by MsHeirloom »

I was on a diet a couple of years ago that allowed green apples, citrus fruit, and berries as the only fruits allowed.  Boring, boring, boring.  This is great, great, great!!!!  Summer is a wonderful time to indulge in all of nature's bounty of fruit (and vegetables).
MaryB

Post by MaryB »

Remember to freeze some too! That's my favorite to eat it. I put it in the blender with a few frozen grapes and apple juice and itcomes out soooo creamy!  :kissed:
Mary Ann

All things are difficult before they are easy.
Dr. Thomas Fuller
sval59

Post by sval59 »

I eat almost half a watermelon some days - ha!  And, I'm losing weight so it's got to be OK.

Cheryl
julie409
Master Member

Post by julie409 »

Hi In tune,

I love your photo and your ticker!  Given your screen name, can we assume you have a connection to music?

For everyone: I saw this great recipe on the Food Network. I still tune and from time to time there is a recipe we can adjust for LDL. Well Claire on 5 Ingredient Fix, did this crazy salad with watermelon and she grilled it! I was thinking you might like to try it and perhaps just change the goat cheese for blue cheese crumbles- Mary, do you think that would make a difference in the flavor?  Anyone brave enough to try it?  If it's good, I will post in the recipe section. (I cannot try it myself yet!)  It was interesting to me bc I like having a hot meal at dinner --- hot fruit --- perfect! *hug* *hug* Julie :rose:

Grilled Watermelon Salad
Ingredients
1/2 (5-pound) seedless watermelon
1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
Extra-virgin olive oil
Kosher salt (specialty salt is great here, if on hand)
2 cups fresh baby arugula, washed and dried
1 cup goat cheese, crumbled, preferably a French Chevre
Fresh finely cracked black pepper
Directions
Stand the watermelon half cut side down on a cutting board and slice away the rind, leaving a solid block of melon. Turn the block on its side and cut it into 8 squares, roughly 3 by 3 inches and 1-inch thick.

Pour the vinegar into a small saucepan and bring to a simmer over medium-high heat. Cook until reduced to a thick syrup consistency. Set aside.

Heat a nonstick grill pan over medium-high heat. Drizzle just enough olive oil over watermelon slices to thinly coat and place on hot grill pan. Grill each side about 2 minutes until grill marks appear; transfer to a plate and season with salt.

To assemble the salads, put about 1/4 cup of baby arugula on a serving plate, followed by a grilled slice of watermelon in the center, and top with a tablespoon of crumbled cheese and another 1/4 cup arugula. Add another watermelon slice and another tablespoon of cheese. Repeat with remaining ingredients. Finish each salad with a very light drizzle of olive oil and balsamic syrup. Dust with black pepper and serve immediately.
turkkm
Master Member

Post by turkkm »

Hi Diane (intune) and welcome to LDL.  :cool:  I love watermelon!  Each time I buy one, I cut some in small cubes and freeze if for smoothies, yummers!  The smoothies are also the most lovely pink color.  I usually freeze mine on a cookie sheet and when frozen bag it up.  That way I can take out the amount I want easily.  I saw in prevention magazine (posted elsewhere on the board) that watermelon has a lot of arginine (sp) in it, which helps you lose weight....cool huh!
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageFor we walk by faith, not by sight.
Deeh
New, but learning

Post by Deeh »

Watermelon is one of the best things about summer! I am going to so miss it this fall and winter! I eat watermelon everyday for breakfast!
preachwife

Post by preachwife »

WOW! Never thought about freezing it...I freeze so much stuff that I think I need to buy another freezer just for my LDL foods...

God Bless You
Preachwife
CodingQueen
Master Member

Post by CodingQueen »

Watermelon doesn't even last long enough around here to freeze. Between my two sons and me, a large is gone is a day or two at the most.

It must be because I ate so much of it while I pregnant with them. :laughing: It was nothing for me to eat half of one a day until it was out of season. My husband was just glad that he wasn't having to run to the store in the middle of the night for pickles and ice cream. :laughing:

CQ
greenheron

Post by greenheron »

I don't know...I think running to the store in the middle of the night for a watermelon might be more work.  :sideways:  :laughing:
CodingQueen
Master Member

Post by CodingQueen »

greenheron, you are too funny :laughing:

Actually, he'd stop and get a couple of them. Cut one and put it in the fridge. The next day, buy a couple more. I always had one in the fridge and a couple in the bottom of the pantry. It's a wonder than I didn't deliver a watermelon.

The only time he ever ran to the store in the middle of the night was when BJ threw his pacifier across the bedroom from his crib and we couldn't find it. We knew he'd never stop crying and go to sleep until he had his "nu nu." Kids come up with the strangest names for things. After that he kept an extra in the drawer of his nightstand. :thumbsup:

CQ
rodie

Post by rodie »

Powder,Thats why I LOVE this ldl woe,now we can have fruit and I love that I can have corn and peas too :thumbsup:
hugzzz
Rodie :)
julie409
Master Member

Post by julie409 »

I started buying 2 at a time now as well. After last week, when I couldn't get my hands on a good one, I 'm not taking any chances!  Love Watermelon!

Did anyone try the grilled watermelon?  I don;t know if I would like it.

Julie :rose: