TURKEY DRESSING

Get innovations here.
EnJae
Master Member

Re: TURKEY DRESSING

Post by EnJae »

Mary;

If you are able to come up with a recipe I have a suggestion for it's use.

When I was a child my mother did the normal "stuff the bird" type Thanksgiving meal. But in later years  she stuffed  the turkey into the stuffing.
Prepare Mary's future stuffing recipe according to directions. Then stir in chopped, cooked turkey breast. Cook according to directions and serve.

NJ
Queenie
Administrator

Post by Queenie »

Mary - I will anxiously be waiting for this one!!  Even though I don't crave bread, I'm not sure that stuffing wouldn't lure me away... :P

Carolyn
My Weight Loss ProgressImage

John's Weight Loss ProgressImage

[b][i]"The journey of a thousand miles begins with the first step."
nyKath

Post by nyKath »

Hi Mary. Been away for a  while....I'm thinking that if you make a kind of chunky veggie base using lots of sauteed celery and onions, maybe eggplant, and some yellow squash, add a tiny bit of low-fat turkey sausage (if you can find one without sugar), and season the whole mess with turkey or chicken broth and poultry seasoning that maybe it wouldn't be a bad substitute.  Hard to think of duplicating the mouth feel of the bread or cornbread w/o actually having it in there, tho'. Just a thought.... nyK
nyKath

Post by nyKath »

...and there could always be oysters or mushrooms or sage or whatever other traditional foods and flavors added in that each family does as part of their heritage, too. Getting hungry thinking about it! :) nyK
nyKath

Post by nyKath »

Hi again...I know in the past it's been said that eating too much corn bread made with the wrong kind of corn meal (or even the right kind) would be bad (I think), but maybe if made with the good corn meal or even half and half with soy flour and used as part of the base for the stuffing wouldn't be bad as it would only be eaten for that one meal? (And if it did turn out very good, I'm sure I'd toss it after that holiday meal so I wouldn't be tempted to eat any more of it!) What do you think, Mary? Another thought running thru my head was using roasted cauliflower chunks as the stuffing base, maybe dry roasting them like when making the flavored soy nuts/chick peas....hmmmm..... still thinking! nyKath
PattyCakes

Post by PattyCakes »

Shows how much I know! I always thought Shepherd's Pie was beef! Of course I've never had lamb...lol.

BTW...I cooked your Shepherd's Pie this week Mary for the first time. MAJOR hit around here.

Patty
joecaracappa
Master Member

Post by joecaracappa »

Mary:

As long as you're at it and with Thanksgiving coming up in a couple of months, could you pick out or design recipes of dishes for the holiday that would include pumpkin, other squashes, a mash of some kind........whatever inspires you.

Joe
CHI MANGIA BENE, VIVE BENE.
Who eats well, lives well.
joecaracappa
Master Member

Post by joecaracappa »

Mary:

Speaking of which, our friends gave us a home grown zucchini squash over the weekend. It must weigh about four pounds and I was thinking of splitting it in two, baking it cut sides down, digging a troth and smothering it with one of our chilies.................any ideas?

Joe
nyKath

Post by nyKath »

Hey Joe...you could try that as a variation. On the other hand, in my experience, you usually gut the zucchini (uncooked) and saute the guts with a bunch of other stuff (mushies, onions, tomatoes, black olives, basil, white beans, spinach or escarole, etc.), then restuff the halves and bake them cut side up with some cheese on top. The shredded veggie parmesan should be real nice on top of these! Mmmm.....love zucchini boats! I think I will give the chili idea a tryout, too! Thanks for that.....:)  nyKath
joecaracappa
Master Member

Post by joecaracappa »

Mmmmmmmmmmmmm your boat sounds good! This thing is big enough that I could do half of it your way.

Thanks
Joe