Spillin' the Beans

Get innovations here.
imkay

Spillin' the Beans

Post by imkay »

BEANS HELP FIGHT OBESITY: SCIENTIFIC REVIEW LINKS INCREASED BEAN CONSUMPTION WITH WEIGHT REDUCTION

East Lansing, Mich. (August 25, 2003) - It's not a fad, it's a fact. Eating dry beans can help you lose weight, according to a recent comprehensive scientific review conducted by nutrition experts at Michigan State University (MSU). Dr. Maurice Bennink, professor of nutrition in the food science and human nutrition department at MSU, reviewed more than 25 years of research relating bean consumption and various aspects of health. In addition to establishing the value of beans for weight reduction, MSU's research showed that bean consumption can help reduce the risk and severity of the nation's top chronic diseases: heart disease, diabetes and certain cancers.

"Our report brings together a wealth of scientific evidence proving that beans can help fight the most critical health issues facing Americans," says Bennink. "We found that it takes as little as two to four cups of dry beans per week for people to realize the positive health benefits."

The research identified three key reasons why dry beans can help people lose weight and maintain an appropriate caloric balance: eating beans is directly correlated with increased satiety; beans provide sustained energy; and eating beans can positively affect future food choices. The term "dry beans" refers to both beans that are dry-packaged in sealed bags and those that are pre-cooked in cans. Dry beans include varieties such as Pinto, Navy, Lima and Black beans, but not green beans, string beans or soybeans.

Full … of Beans
Obesity has reached epidemic proportions, with more than 60 percent of American adults considered overweight or obese. While many factors contribute to being overweight and obese, excess consumption of food is a primary cause. Beans can help one eat less because their high-fiber content provides a feeling of satiety.

"Fiber-rich foods provide bulk which makes you feel fuller longer," says registered dietitian Kim Galeaz. "This means you'll register that sense of fullness and satisfaction and will not be inclined to start nibbling too soon after eating."

Low Glycemic Index Foods and Weight Maintenance
Another way beans help curb overeating is because they have a very low glycemic index. Foods with a low glycemic index release glucose slowly into the bloodstream and therefore impart energy over a long period of time. "When you eat beans, your blood sugar stays steady so you maintain energy and are not compelled to refuel as often," explains Galeaz.

The glycemic index is a measure of the effect foods have on blood-glucose levels after they're eaten. In addition to beans, low glycemic index foods include many whole grains, vegetables, fruits and other legumes. High glycemic index foods are rapidly digested and therefore raise the blood sugar levels fairly fast. These include many refined starchy foods (such as white bread, some cereals, white potatoes, instant white rice) and table sugar.

Beans Affect Eating Behavior
Some of the most compelling research uncovered by MSU showed that when people consume low glycemic index foods, they tend to select subsequent low glycemic index foods, setting up a pattern that leads to lower caloric intake and blood glucose and insulin concentrations. Consequently, eating high glycemic index foods causes people to want to eat again sooner than if they ate lower glycemic index foods. And they're more likely to select high glycemic index foods for the next snack or meal.

"Losing weight and keeping it under control is all about choosing nutrient-rich foods that will fill you up, give you energy and not leave you feeling hungry all the time," says Galeaz. "Beans are one of the best choices because they have a low glycemic index. They're also a significant source of protein and essential vitamins and minerals, naturally low in fat and sodium and completely cholesterol-free."
it's nice to be important but it's more important to be nice
myfavoritenurse

Re: Spillin' the Beans

Post by myfavoritenurse »

Thanks for the article.  It was very interesting and encouraging.  I guess now I should buy some stock in the"beano" company.(LOL)
Matthew 28:20b  "lo, I am with you always even until the end of the age."
niki

Post by niki »

GREAT INFO..........i posted bean info, too on the discussion board....there's NOTHING like beans....niki
nyKath

Post by nyKath »

Saw a recipe in a vegan cookbook yesterday that said to make a small, family-size batch of unsweetened applesauce (water, apples, cinnamon) in your microwave or on stove top with a drained can or 2 of small white beans blended into it and use it as a topping or a fruit dip. I'm thinking it would be like a stiff apple smoothie or apple butter. You could dip fruit slices into it or spread it on CornThins or on slices of the pumpkin cakes or breads from these boards. I'm going to try it soon. Would be a good snack for those little ones with apple and pear slices. Mmmmm....The incredible, edible BEAN! :) ....NYKath
niki

Post by niki »

i followed roger's suggestion putting fried eggs over refried beans....i had sauteed some red peppers and onions on the side and ate it all together...it was great........i CAN'T go ONE day without eating beans.....who would have ever thought that could happen?.....except for when i was a kid,i probably ate beans an average of maybe 4-5 times a year.........i've eaten more beans in 9 months than i've eaten in my whole life.....i NEVER would have thought i could eat beans and BE THIN......................it's really amazing
  i used to use pinto beans for chilli....now i only use black beans when i make chilli because i like them SO much better...and a layer of corn on top....love it.....in fact,the ground sirloin is on sale this week....i'm working nights this week until thursday night...maybe i'll make a big pot with about 2 pounds of dried black beans on friday when i wake up....................niki