Washing Produce

Get innovations here.
patsyfay
Master Member

Washing Produce

Post by patsyfay »

A food scientist at Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University, developed an effective disinfecting procedure using white vinegar (or cider vinegar) and 3 percent hydrogen peroxide (the same as found at the drugstore). These ingredients are completely nontoxic and inexpensive and work not only on fruit and vegetables but can be used to sanitize counters and preparation surfaces, including wooden cutting boards, as well.
Here are the very simple directions for using these ingredients effectively:
After you put the vinegar and hydrogen peroxide into individual spray bottles:
1. Spray your produce or work surface thoroughly first with vinegar and then with hydrogen peroxide.
2. Then rinse the produce under running water or wipe the surface with a clean wet sponge.

I thought this was interesting and more frugal than buying the washes.  Hope it helps someone.

Pat
We are not human beings having a spiritual experience; we are spiritual beings having a human experience.

Forever Young
Master Member

Re: Washing Produce

Post by Forever Young »

Pat,

Thanks for the information.  This does sound much less expensive than that store bought stuff!  Appreciate all your help!

Jeanne
Keep on...keeping on...on LDL..eating all the carbs and calories you want until full...and still lose weight.  Stay on board the train headed for...SKINNYTOWN!!!   Let's Do Lunch really works!!!
Cindi

Post by Cindi »

Thank you Pat! I'm going to try this. You wouldn't believe it but I bought 2 gallons of ACV to put on my horses feed but they wouldn't touch it. Now you've given me a use for it.  ;D
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/w8ZhJmH/]
Mynx

Post by Mynx »

thank you! Do you know if you should let it sit much after spraying? Grapes are the ones that bother me the most even after washing.
patsyfay
Master Member

Post by patsyfay »

I make sure my sink has been scrubbed well, then I fill it with grapes I've removed from the vines, pour 1/2 cup each of vinegar and HP on it and run some water in.  Then I put my hands in and roll the grapes around, drain the water and run more water in to rinse again. And again, if you like.  I put them in a big towel, roll them around and dry them and put them in freezer bags.  I dip in my bowl and enjoy.  I usually buy 8-10 pounds at at time and get 2-3 gallon sized freezer bags full.

Pat
We are not human beings having a spiritual experience; we are spiritual beings having a human experience.

LittlePrincess
Master Member

Post by LittlePrincess »

Hey Pat,

This is a great idea!  *HUGS*  Thank you for sharing it.

(In Faith)  LP
All you will ever be is you.  Learn to love it.

Post by laurawhite1026 »

:thumbsup:  AWESOME tip.....I feel so good about the way I am eating now but worry about how clean my fruits and veggies are.....so thanks for the tip....easy and cheap.

Laura
julybug

Post by julybug »

:D :Great tip that I am going to try.  Thank you for posting it.
......Image

Am I the only one hearing the Rocky theme "Getting strong now" all day?
CodingQueen
Master Member

Post by CodingQueen »

patsyfay,

You can also just fill your sink with water and then pour in 1/4 cup of hydrogen peroxide to soak your vegetable for about 30 minutes. Then rinse and dry. This will not only clean them but also keep them fresh longer.

Another thing we do is marinate meats with equal parts water and hydrogen peroxide to help eliminate parasites in the meat for a 1/2 hour. I know that sounds gross but it's true. Meat has parasites and I don't want to eat them...yuk!

CQ
cjs0557

Post by cjs0557 »

Hi patsyfay! That formula was a great find! :thumbsup:  I was just going to look on the internet for a "make at home" vegetable spray.  Thanks so much for sharing this info.

God Bless!
turkkm
Master Member

Post by turkkm »

I try to buy a lot of organic veggies and fruits, but geeze the stuff is so expensive that I can't always afford it.  So, I use the store bought wash to be sure to get all the pesticide off.  Oh my, I wish I would have seen this idea here a few hours ago.  I just bought the refill bottle of the kind of veggie wash I buy.  I will do the homemade version when this stuff runs out.  Thanks Patsyfay for the great idea!
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageFor we walk by faith, not by sight.
razzle

Post by razzle »

I have been washing produce like this for about five years. It is amazing how much stuff comes off that the sprays seem to miss.  I put apple cider vinegar and water into a bowl and soak my lettuce (I cut this up before hand) and salad vegetables. Let soak for 5 minutes and remove vegetables and dry. Use a salad spinner to dry the lettuce. Thanks for the addition of Hydrogen peroxide
Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Diet Plans
turkkm
Master Member

Post by turkkm »

I found this on line and was wondering if the hydrogen peroxide is really necessary.  What is its role?
For Hard-skinned Fruits and Vegetables:

1. Fill a spray bottle with equal parts white vinegar and water.

2. Then, spray the solution onto your fruits and vegetables; rub it in; and rinse.

For Soft-skinned Fruits and Vegetables:

1. Fill a bowl with equal parts white vinegar and water.

2. Then, soak your fruits and vegetables in the solution for a minute or two, and rinse.

Why This Works
The acetic acid in vinegar kills bacteria and helps to dissolve the wax and pesticide residues found on the skins of many fruits and vegetables.

Benefits of Making Your Own Fruit and Vegetable Wash
cheaper than store-bought washes
cleans more effectively than water alone
all-natural

Tips and Warnings
1) Use a scrub brush to work the solution into the skin

2) Store your fruit and vegetable wash out of the reach of children
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageFor we walk by faith, not by sight.
Joyful Friend
Master Member

Post by Joyful Friend »

Thanks, Pat, for the washing method-S0 much less expensive than the store bought wash.  I am so careful with my fruits and vegetables because so many local farmers use cow and horse wastes for fertilizer-they grow organically.  The same with fresh mushrooms. If the fruits and veggies are imports, we need to be more careful.  Clorox and vinegar would probably be fine as well or is hp different?  Forever Friend
rodie

Post by rodie »

Pat and CQ thanks for the info,it is very helpful,even though I could have waited to know about the meat,YUK! thanks CQ,lol!!!! ;)
Hugzzz
Rodie :)
CodingQueen
Master Member

Post by CodingQueen »

CodingQueen wrote:Another thing we do is marinate meats with equal parts water and hydrogen peroxide to help eliminate parasites in the meat for a 1/2 hour. I know that sounds gross but it's true. Meat has parasites and I don't want to eat them...yuk!

rodie, I'm sorry! I didn't mean to make you sick. :sick:

My husband and I use to raise cattle. He would feed them grapefruit every week to eliminate the parasites so we didn't have to inject them with drugs.

After we moved to Tampa we could no longer raise our own beef and organic meats were not popular then, therefore, you didn't see them in your grocery stores. One of the docs that I was working with at the time told me about the marinade.

I also posted some information on hydrogen peroxide.

http://www.letsdolunch.com/boards/index ... pic=7593.0

CQ
Last edited by CodingQueen on September 26th, 2009, 7:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
malmq

Post by malmq »

Excellent! I sure didn't like spending $ on the wash they sell in the stores so this is great!  Thanks!
I filled my sink w/ the vinegar/peroxide then washed my lettuce.  Once I removed my lettuce and put it into my salad spinner, I rinsed it once again w/ fresh water.    I kept the mixture in my sink and began washing my other veges & fruits.    Sure saved time & ingredients too :-)