Thanks EnJae! That is great to know!

Tina
Tina

Jason
Mattie
herestohealth

Re: Tried Truvia today

Post by herestohealth »

Truvia is another form of stevia. A lot of people don't like stevia because of the after taste. My husband has bad reactions to sugar and has done a lot of research about the different "non-sugars" available. The two that seem to be the best for consumption--as in they haven't had bad reactions in lab studies and also don't spike your blood sugar--are xylitol and erythritol (both found at health food stores, unfortunately they are pricey, but worth the health benefits. I really like xylitol. It is sweet, it is good for your teeth and it has been found to keep bad bacteria from forming in the tissues of your mouth, nose and throat. Physicians are even starting to use xylitol to treat middle ear infections in children. My husband hadn't been to the dentist in seven years, but had used xylitol for the past year every night with his mate' (an herbal tea), he went to the dentist and he had almost no tarter build up, his gums were excellent and he had no cavities. The dentist was very surprised until my husband mentioned that he used xylitol then the dentist understood. You can use both of these in place of sugar for baking and cooking. They are both about $24 for 3 lbs. I hope this has helped.
Cindi

Post by Cindi »

Is Truvia the same as Stevia? I tried Stevia in a heated drink and it turned it bitter. Did anyone else have this problem?
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/w8ZhJmH/]
Rhonda in SGF

Post by Rhonda in SGF »

I find if I add too much Stevia it is definitely bitter.  You have to play with it to know just how much to add in.  I start out with a very small amount and keep adding until I have just the right taste.  Hope this helps.  I find the powdered stevia is better than the liquid.

Rhonda
Cindi

Post by Cindi »

Thanks Rhonda! I'll try playing with it.
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/w8ZhJmH/]
isthis4me

Post by isthis4me »

nu naturals to ME is the best stevia, no after taste no bitterness and sweet that if you get a drop on your finger its like sugar  :inlove:
electricj1316
Master Member

Post by electricj1316 »

I do not like stevia! I think it is bitter no matter how much you use and no matter what you put it in. It reminds me of saccharine. I use Truvia which is granulated like sugar, it only comes in packets where I live but to me it tastes almost just like sugar and I can't hardly taste an aftertaste at all. I make the strawberry lemonade with it and can't tell that it is a sweetener even my kids think it is sugar. I some people are what is called a super taster and I am one of those people. I can taste sweetener no matter what it is in and it gives a bitter after taste. But Truvia is the only one that does not do that to me.

Tina
Tina

Jason
Mattie
Tina K

Post by Tina K »

I need to try truvia then, I'm not a fan of stevia and can't stand splenda.
Valiadasilva

Post by Valiadasilva »

Here in Montana we just started getting different forms of Stevia (contains inulin fiber and stevia extract), like Truvia, Stevia in the Raw (Dextrose, stevia extract), can anyone tell me if Stevia in the Raw is acceptable as it contains and "ose"?

Truvia™ natural sweetener is made with rebiana (at least 97 percent rebaudioside A) a fully characterized component of the best tasting part of the stevia leaf.

I can't tell the difference in any of them and only used the Stevia in the Raw before going on LDL, but if it is "unacceptable" maybe we should all know that an actual Stevia product has an added ingredient.
Valia Dasilva
Montana Artist
tprouty
Master Member

Post by tprouty »

Hi Valia.

I would be extremely wary of anything with dextrose in the ingredients. It's still a sugar, even though it might not be as dangerous as some of the other forms. Still, anything that invites cravings isn't my friend!

An earlier post mentioned xylitol and erythritol. While both of these are good for your teeth, and do not react like sugar in the bloodstream, many people have found them to cause cravings on LDL. Proceed with caution! If you decide to try them at some point, watch your cravings, and make sure they do not cause your weight loss to stall -- or worse yet -- reverse!

Personally, I like both xylitol and erythritol, BUT am not using them AT ALL right now while I am in the process of losing weight. Once I have reached my goal, I may experiment with them a little bit and see if they are friendly for me. But as each day goes by, I am less and less attracted to sweet things. I don't crave sugar at all any more, and sometimes only want something sugary because of habit or emotional stress. In these instances, natural fruit sweetness is wonderfully capable of doing the job. Sweetened things just aren't nearly as attractive as they once were. Hooray! And this is from a serious sugar-holic!

If you can find a form of stevia that you like, I think it is the safest sweetener on LDL.

Enjoy the journey!
Terri