[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4786: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3915)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4788: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3915)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4789: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3915)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4790: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3915)
Let's Do Lunch Community • View topic - butter beans - FYI

Let's Do Lunch Community

See your doctor for approval before starting any new eating program.
The Key to Let's Do Lunch is to "Add a Little Something Fattening" to something nonfattening, to make it Taste Great! Read the New Red Book to find out how this is done!

Author believes we are put on this earth to have a chance to love The Lord. Other than that, we are here to help God bless as many other people as possible.

It is currently

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: butter beans - FYI

Hello

I went to the grocery store today and I searched for butter beans. I saw lots of kinds of beans but dind't find the butter beans.

So I did a little research on the net to find out that there is another name for the butter beans. They are called also lima beans.

There are two common varieties of lima bean — the baby lima bean and the Fordhook — but don't confuse them as the same bean in different stages of development. The Fordhook is larger, lighter in color, and has a stronger taste than the baby lima, but it is not a grown-up baby — it is a separate variety.

In the south of the United States, Fordhook lima beans are commonly called butter beans.

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: butter beans - FYI

I finally found them here is southern Utah as well. I kept looking in the bean section of the store (black, kidney, garbanzo, etc.) but where I found them was in the canned vegetable section. I think they were next to the corn. Anyway, all they had is the Bush brand and there is sugar in the ingredient list. I read where I can rinse them well and use them anyway. I also bought dried lima beans (I assume that these are butter beans) and will try soaking and cooking them myself without the added stuff. I am going to make the butter bean patties today. They sound great.

Last edited by Anonymous on , edited 1 time in total.

Hi sibelclair. Be VERY careful, because Lima Beans are Not exactly the same as Butter Beans. Lima Beans are green in color and are a tougher texture of bean. Butter Beans are tan in color and are very light in texture, almost falling apart when cooked. Butter Beans are a staple of Let's Do Lunch, whereas Lima Beans are not...although that said, I LOVE Lima Beans too!

God bless and enjoy,

Roger Troy

Roger Troy, author of Let's do Lunch (amazing reviews at amazon.com, made The 700 Club's "Top Highlights of the Last 50 Years!", called an "International Sensation", a "Smash Hit" and the "Most Buzzed-about Weight-loss Book of the Year!" by FIRST Magazine (for women)

Well, if lima beans are not butter beans like they mentioned on the net, well, there is no butter bean in my area. I did two grocery stores and there wasn't any.  :'(

Thank you for your input.

thanks grambonnie5, I haven't checked in that section of the grocery store. I will.

Last edited by sibelclair on , edited 1 time in total.

I am from the South and butter beans are actually just dried lima beans. My daddy grew lima beans and let some dry on the vines for dried beans. Hope this helps! :thumbsup:

Butter Beans are very large and light colored.  They are not the same as the smaller green lima beans.  I'm from Texas and you can find butter beans everywhere.  Thank heavens!  Do a google search for butter beans and you will see the difference between the two.  Good luck finding them.  You can always order them online if you can't find them in the stores.  Also, most stores will order and stock products for you if you ask the manager. :thumbsup:

There are 2 distinct varieties---the baby lima and the big Fordhook.Both are pale green, plump bodied and have a slight kidney shaped curve. The Fordhook is just larger and plumper than the baby lima. Fordhook lima's aren't the lighter color until they are dried, thus, especially in the south, you then have butter beans.  I have never seen any fresh picked Fordhook's that were not green in color.  Just as long as you can find what you need for this  WOE it doesn't really matter what we call them.  I plan to cook dried beans as that is the cheapest way to go and not have the added fat that is in a lot of canned vegetables.

This is good to know.  I've always thought of butter beans as big Lima beans, or Lima beans as young butter beans.  Thanks!

Roger Troy, author of Let's do Lunch (amazing reviews at amazon.com, made The 700 Club's "Top Highlights of the Last 50 Years!", called an "International Sensation", a "Smash Hit" and the "Most Buzzed-about Weight-loss Book of the Year!" by FIRST Magazine (for women)

I tried bean cakes last night made the way the recipe in Lets Do Lunch suggests and they were excellent! Thanks Roger Troy. I really  think you  could also fool people and tell them they were crab cakes or something if you add Old Bay seasoning to it too! :rose:

Kristine

Ooohh, now kristine, you have given me a challenge.  I'm going to have to make "crab cakes."  What a great idea!

Little Mary

I tried the patties, but they seemed too muchy, and weren't easy to flip.  I still ate them,  but they didn't stick together as a pattie.

Last edited by Gwennaford on , edited 1 time in total.