watermelon

Get innovations here.
crickadoodle
Master Member

Re: watermelon

Post by crickadoodle »

It's so good just like it is, I don't want to do anything to it.  Some like salt on it, but I just eat it like it is.  So cool and crisp and sweet.  I just love it.
CodingQueen
Master Member

Post by CodingQueen »

crickadoodle,

I'm with you. My father-in-law puts salt on his...and sugar on his grapefruit. Yuk!

CQ
Last edited by CodingQueen on September 26th, 2009, 7:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
coryell
New, but learning

Post by coryell »

Frozen watermelon juice in pint containers, thaw some, poke in a straw and enjoy,
i have an cruisanart egg cooker, so egg  omelet mix is easy for lunch, too. do just as you would in an container.
kristen

Post by kristen »

One of the main health benefits of watermelon is its status as a powerful antioxidant,found in vitamins A and C,which helps to neutralize free radicals than can lead to inflammation,general sickness and chronic illnesses such as stroke and heart attack.The beautiful pink color of watermelon,due to beta-carotene,is a powerful ally against many types of cancer,particularly colon cancer.Lycopene,a carotenoid found in abundance in watermelon provides additional cancer fighting health benefits of watermelon.
crickadoodle
Master Member

Post by crickadoodle »

Thanks for sharing this, Kristen.  I love reading about how healthy my good choices are!!  :x I eat lots of watermelon -- especially the seedless variety lately.  A year ago I only like the ones with seeds because the seedless I got were always a bit mushy.  They are crisp now and so easy to eat.  I make fruit salads anytime we have get togethers and I have an easy time preparing them -- seedless watermelon, pineapple, canteloupe and red grapes are what I usually put in it.  I vary it some, but I think this is my favorite combination!!
Last edited by crickadoodle on June 10th, 2013, 5:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gootham

Post by gootham »

I love to eat healthy stuff like vegetables,fruits and beans which makes me happy,active and fit.There are VERY few fruits and vegetables we can't eat, and if you want watermelon, dig in!  In the beginning, you should be eating all the fruit you want, anytime, any kind.  So many of us who have previously been on "no fruit, no corn, no beans" diets are LOVING being able to eat watermelon, strawberries, cherries, apple, oranges, bananas, corn on the cob, chili, etc etc.
crickadoodle
Master Member

Post by crickadoodle »

gootham -- I remember back when I first discovered this way of eating, I had that same experience after having found some success on the South Beach Diet.  I was even feeling a little guilty at first for eating the fruit.  Now, no problem at all.  I love fruit and I love that I can stay slim eating all I want.  So much better than processed sweets!  When I am honest with myself, this is really the truth.  I've occasionally eaten processed sweets since finding the LDL way, and they really aren't satisfying -- I love fruit and I'm sticking with eating this way!
Gayal

Post by Gayal »

Watermelon is one of the most refreshing, thirst quenching fruit available year round. Watermelon is not only delicious but also very nutritious. It is rich foods with multiple nutrition e,g vitamin A, C, Vitamin B6, Magnesium etc.
Zesti
Master Member

Post by Zesti »

Watermellon is FANTASTIC on the grille. All fruit is fantasic on the grille to me. I do my veggies the same way. ANYTIME that BBQ comes out. I have a basket of veggies and basket of fruit on it. My DH puts his potato for ONE on too.
He does all the cooking....YEAH!...At Walmart, Target even my local grocery store sells the baskets for the BBQ. All shapes and sizes, even BBQ bowls. I oil the grille. put basket on. Spray with a little evoo with water, to make it FLAME!! that's the best part. Even cold left over grilled is one of my favorites. Pineapple on the grille? Ahhhhhhhh, like is sweet..I evne grille iceberg lettuce. One one word of advice here...When you are grilling peas. Keep them in the pods.. =)) I haven't found a basket with that small of holes....YET!
Zesti
crickadoodle
Master Member

Post by crickadoodle »

Zesti, I have never grilled my fruit before, but I might have eaten some fruit grilled somewhere. The best oil for heating is extra virgin coconut oil. Have you ever tried it? It would be excellent on the fruit you grill. I've done lots of research on it, and from what I've found when cooking with oil, the coconut it the best and handles high temperatures without damage, like other oils. Olive oil is very healthy, but doesn't handle heat well. It is what I use on my salads in dressings.

Stick with Let's Do Lunch. It is the best for losing weight. I call it a livet instead of a diet. You can really live eating this way and you don't feel deprived, like diets do. Let's Do Lunch was an answer to prayer for me 4 years ago.

I still love watermelon, but the last one I got wasn't very good, so I have 1/2 of it still in the fridge. I need to just throw it out and forget that bad experience.
omalani
Master Member

Post by omalani »

If you get a melon that is not sweet, you can cut it up and freeze it for smoothies. watermelon/strawberry is very good. I did the same with a cantaloupe and added mango. Cooked carrots, squashes, and white mild flavored beans can also be added to smoothies. The warmer weather is a good time for frozen smoothies.
crickadoodle
Master Member

Post by crickadoodle »

That's good to know. Mine was starting to rot at the stem before I cut into it. I cut away that part, but inside it was a bit mushy! Ugh. Don't like mushy watermelons.

Oma, your new picture is great. Your hair and complexion are so pretty!! You are a pretty lady. I'll bet eating the LDL way is making you feel prettier too. My picture went away with the new changes of the boards. I guess I'll have to get Linda to help me too!!
Zesti
Master Member

Post by Zesti »

Crick, EVOO is about the only oil I do use. I fell in love with the stuff years ago. I have a store close by that sells it from cask ( along with 50 cask of vinegar) and has over 50 flavors from all over the world. EVOO is like wine. It's all in the soil. Where ever it is grown takes up the flavors in the soil. I love it!..I have been doing a lot of reading on coconut oil. I just haven't bought any yet. I am putting it on my grocery list now, as I am writing..pause..ok done! :-* Before I stared LDL I was buying coconut milk and really enjoying that. I don't know how that goes over on the LDL program. I will have to ask the Food Police, since it's not a "real milk", just the milk of the fruit and the fruit is a coconut...
I grille everything! We had orange and lemon trees as a kid. While BBQing my Dad would poke holes in them and put them all over the grille. We always had so many, and they were free. The more you pick, the more you get.
We loved the smokey flavor from the bbq in the juice. We would just stand there and suck all the juice out. I think it was a way for my Dad to keep us busy and out of his way.. =))
When eating veggie salads. I love just EVOO and lemon juice. I never really was a dressing person. I just ordered my salads with extra tomatoes and added salt and pepper. I am now really enjoying the EVOO on my popcorn..
I put the watermelon on the grille, drip a little evoo just to make the flame come up and then turn the watermelon. We do this just after we eat when grilling. It's dessert! along with pineapple and any other fruit in the house. I can easily wait for all the fruit and just eat that for my dinner. Also, when we have friends over I put lots of extra veggie on for me. Since their dinner is my no meat meal. I am stacking my plate with the veggies and no one's even notices that I am not eating meat. I save my meat for the next day's protein meal.
Zesti
crickadoodle
Master Member

Post by crickadoodle »

Zesti, you are doing so well. I love the way you think and plan. Saving that bbq for the next day is very wise. I like too that you don't even make it obvious to your friends. Can I ask how much you have lost so far?
Zesti
Master Member

Post by Zesti »

Total of 19.5 so far...I started April 23. I weighed May 23 and down 17 pounds. I have to weigh on June 23, but have been tempted to step on the scale, so I did. I was down another 2.5 pounds. Most importantly for me, I feel bones I haven't felt in a long time!! I moved my scale down in the washroom so I am not tempted to let that darn thing tell me whether or not I am a good girl or not!!!!
Never thought the words " I missed my hip bones" would ever cross my lips" that's for sure..But there they are :-o Shirts way to tight are fitting me now, and my jeans. OH MY JEANS!!!!! so comfy and they aren't the stretch jeans either..YEAH!
I am a compulsive binge eater and am getting closer and closer to saying "I WAS a compulsive over eater". Don't know about the binge part because so far bingeing on LDL foods like grilled corn and bowls of beans is working for me...when I am doing that, I have the time to think thru things. Some days, I think I am frustrated..REALLY? when really, my body just wants to get up and take a walk on a beautiful day. So I do it now or just a few rounds in my living room does it..
I hurt my back about a year ago. And, any kind of exercise is miserable. So, I left the DIVA-DVD's behind. And, that's ok. Walking is better now, riding my stationary bike is better every day. I go further and further... When I win the lottery. I am going to buy me the biggest TV EVER and get one of those Tour De France video's and do France or Ireland =)) all from the low cost and comfort of my living room!! Until I can once again, fit in an airplane seat comfortably, well I don't know if one get comfortable in one of those things to begin with. But at least I will be taking only my seat space and not half of my DH's! He has no weight problem at all :ymsigh:
Cooking one day and eating the next is just so easy for me to do. Even with quests over. I don't have to eat my protein for dinner. I save it for my lunch. A mere "oh I am not in the mood" for meat" keeps all my well intended friends comments of "oh you on a nother diet" at bay. They don't notice even then, because my plate is so full of fresh veggies. I make the LDL potato =p~ o cakes as "just another side dish". I tell them what is in it if they ask. And to be honest here...I hope they don't like them because that means there is more for me the next day for BK..Those that do, get them and ask me how to make them. I say nothing about "diet food" I eat what I cooked so it's LDL anyway. Fresh veggies, dressings on the side. What ever. Cooking for a family doesn't have to be extra work. I am a big believer in "cook it once, eat it twice" method. With this program. I am really getting the "eating the right foods" makes you WANT to NOT eat other foods" part.
So temptation isn't a big problem anymore. Oh, I am very VERY normal when it comes to that. but, I just find that if I have things already prepared when I am "hearing" someone else "crunch on chips" I can go get "my" crunches too and not feel deprived of anything. I have also noticed when I get a huge bowl of grapes for movie night out. My DH munches on them too and doesn't eat so many chips..So that's a good thing. Diet Food is ugly and doesn't taste good. I live by that now. Real food is God's bounty and he always makes me feel like I can help myself to as much as I want, when I want and to love every minute of it..I love to eat. Eating is good. Eating good for you, well, that was my problem..
Grilling to me is just another stove, only it's outside. Just like the American Indians before us and in some countries now, that is still the only stove they use..
Thanks for asking Crick. I love to share.
crickadoodle
Master Member

Post by crickadoodle »

That is awesome, zesti! I remember how when I was losing, it really was so easy. I wasn't deprived at all. It was real food. I hated going to restaurants and seeing their foods for those watching their weight -- boring!! The world's idea of "diet" is torture. I love LDL -- no torture, only delicious, healthy food and lots of it. I can tell you, eating the LDL way breaks the food addictions that cause you to binge eat. You eat until satisfied and you don't need more than that. I think making sure you are satisfied is a big part of losing the weight and keeping it off.
Zesti
Master Member

Post by Zesti »

I am LIVNIT! I don't feel deprived of anything. In the past, by now. I would have gone off the diet and never get back on the wagon. Now, it's been over a month and I am still excited for every meal... I will be getting the coconut oil. I am looking at the webb site now, before I go to the store..I used EVOO the other day to make "fried" chicken with corn thins.
I was wishing I had the coconut oil then. I think it would have come out even crunchier, but it was really good anyway...
Zesti