I found Corn Thins at my grocery store...

Get innovations here.
ready4achange

I found Corn Thins at my grocery store...

Post by ready4achange »

I ordered 2 sleeves of corn thins from Vitacost.com.  I hadn't been able to find them in any of my stores, and didn't want to order a case, just in case I didn't like them. I finally found them in the store!  (Sorry I am a little excited about it!)  If you live on the east coast from VA up to NY, you can find the Real Foods Original Corn Thins at Wegman's grocery store.  I got the ones I ordered today, and I love  *love*  them, much tastier than rice cakes.
ImageImage
t-rock
Master Member

Re: I found Corn Thins at my grocery store...

Post by t-rock »

Wegmans....I sure do miss Wegmans out here on the west coast.
ready4achange

Post by ready4achange »

I do too!  Ours just opened on the 21st of June, and I am loving it!
ImageImage
turkkm
Master Member

Post by turkkm »

I ordered a case of corn thins and was worried that I might not like them either.  But, I love them and actually had to hide them for a day because I was eating way too many of them, lol.  Anyway, I have since found them locally too, so I won't need to order them by the case any more.  I am taking them to the 4th picnic tomorrow with homemade salsa....and tortilla chips for everyone else.  But, I bet a few will try and like my corn thins too!  I got mine at a local healthy foods grocery store called The Mustart Seed. 
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageFor we walk by faith, not by sight.
RandomRaff

Post by RandomRaff »

Congratulations on finding some!

I have to say - OH MY GOODNESS I absolutely ADORE these things.. I was VERY skeptical of them but imagine they're like rice cakes, better tasting and thinner - but as big as a pattie! Very strong too, i was able to spread something onto one and it not break..very impressed!!! I bought the flaxseed one - VERY surprised... How come I never found these before??? They were WAAAAY up on an extremely difficult to reach shelf...  :'(

Made a believer out of me - such tasty stuff!

Raffi  *love*
CodingQueen
Master Member

Post by CodingQueen »

Yes, I think I'm going to ask my local grocery store if they can carry them. I don't want to have to buy an entire case. Besides, I'm sure other people would purchase them as well.

CQ
turkkm
Master Member

Post by turkkm »

I agree that other people would buy them.  I took them to my 4th picnic for something legal me to eat and I also took tostitos chips for everyone else.  I had refried bean dip and home made salsa to serve with them.  And guess what?  Everyone was eating up MY corn thins and NOT the chips.....Good thing I brought plenty!
mom
Master Member

Post by mom »

just buy the plain corn thins, not the ones with flax seeds, you have to look at the ingredient list, the original corn thins have the corn and only one other ingredient, the others all had some kind of wheat in them.
turkkm
Master Member

Post by turkkm »

You do have to watch ingredient lists.  However, I also buy the lemon pepper corn thins.  They have the exact ingredient list as the regular ones accept for the natural lemon extract and black pepper.  I eat them topped with tuna or salmon salad.  I hope these are ok.
CodingQueen
Master Member

Post by CodingQueen »

turkkm,

you have guts. I'm impressed

CQ
RB Kayaking
Master Member

Post by RB Kayaking »

I can understand why everyone was eating your corn thins--they hold all sorts of dips so much better than chips and the crunch sound is so wonderful.  Love them.

RB Kayaking
LizzyClem

Post by LizzyClem »

Hello everyone I am a newbie to LDL and have a question. Can I eat cornmeal grits? If not I found a recipe online for Grits that is LDL friendly.

Grits

3 cups of water
1 cup popcorn flour
salt to taste
cant believe its not butter to taste

Bring water to a boil then slowly add popcorn flour until desired thickness. Add salt and CBINB for taste. Enjoy

Haven't yet tried this recipe but was anxious to share it with others.
Last edited by LizzyClem on July 22nd, 2009, 1:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
greenheron

Post by greenheron »

Hi, LizzyClem,

I'm afraid traditional grits are out, because grinding the corn into meal makes it too easy to digest and slows weight loss, or even causes weight gain.  You want your body to work harder, and cornmeal is too processed.

Your popcorn flour grits looks a little like the popcorn flour porridge recipe I posted a couple months ago. I didn't really have a recipe, and I don't know if anyone actually tried it...sometimes recipes are a little scary ;)  I think it's pretty funny that you found that on the internet.  Have you tried it?  I can't imagine that one cup of popcorn flour is enough for three cups of water, but since I haven't tried it, I don't know.  I think you should have more flour on hand just in case. 

Let us know how you like it!  And if it works out, please post it separately in the side dish or breakfast section of the board.
preachwife

Post by preachwife »

I know corn thins taste great...BUT please pay attention to how many you are eating...Whan I was losing my weight I had to stop eating them...It was stalling my loss and wasn't worth it...I would rather have a big bowl of air popped popcorn to fill me up then a few little pressed corn thins...Everyone has to do what works for them and this is my story...we are all working towards the same goal...Same team...Go team Go!!!

God Bless You All
Preachwife
CodingQueen
Master Member

Post by CodingQueen »

preachwife is correct. They do stall weight loss in some individuals and I, too, would much rather have the popcorn. Not only for the taste but also for the health benefits.

CQ
crickadoodle
Master Member

Post by crickadoodle »

I just have a question about popcorn flour.  How is this not as processed as grits, or whole grain corn meal?  I would think the fact that it has been totally ground up would make it just as processed and not so hard for your body to break down.  ??????
niki
Administrator

Post by niki »

crickadoodle wrote:I just have a question about popcorn flour.  How is this not as processed as grits, or whole grain corn meal? 

it's not as bad as grits but i personally wouldn't advise someone to use it unless they're having GREAT results with let's do lunch and lose weight REALLY easily...you're right that the more processed something is the easier it is to digest and the faster it gets into your blood stream causing your blood sugars to fluctuate making you HUNGRY....
some people think that let's do lunch is like a "magic" diet and as long as you eat the things that the book says you can eat the fat will just slide off your body...the concept is that when you eat a certain way, you eat less and less and THEREFORE you lose weight....if this isn't happening to you, you're not going to have optimal success on let's do lunch...
so, if you're just starting out , i, personally, would recommend the very basic plan without any extras.........
life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...it's about learning to dance in the rain..
crickadoodle
Master Member

Post by crickadoodle »

Thanks, Niki!  I haven't tried it, or even want to, actually.  It seems like a lot of work to make it.  I just wasn't following the thinking behind it and how it was better than any flour.  I am very happy with the weight I've lost so far, and not looking for any ways to push the limit. 

So, the main thinking behind all this is that we want to eat foods that cause our digestive systems to work to break them down.  That way, our blood sugar levels stay right and don't spike, causing us to want to eat a lot.  As we get more free from cravings, we do eat less on this plan and that is why we lose weight.

I see first hand what blood sugar spikes do.  I care for my mom and she is diabetic.  She is always complaining about being hungry.  She was just asking me if she could eat something again.  I just had her check her blood sugar and it was too high.  I told her to fix a big glass of water and drink it all.  This really works well to get her blood sugar straight.  I'm sure it is somewhat the same for all of us -- whether diabetic or not.
niki
Administrator

Post by niki »

crickadoodle wrote:So, the main thinking behind all this is that we want to eat foods that cause our digestive systems to work to break them down.  That way, our blood sugar levels stay right and don't spike, causing us to want to eat a lot.  As we get more free from cravings, we do eat less on this plan and that is why we lose weight.

EXACTLY.....in fact, the first book didn't state this...i surmised this once i followed it for a period of time.....and started responding to posts on these boards explaining it....
if you get your mother eating this way, it will deal with her constant hunger and control her blood sugars like nothing else....
and for anyone who doesn't lose easily, i wouldn't drink ANY juice or eat dried fruit...and, i wouldn't eat ANY dairy...
life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...it's about learning to dance in the rain..
crickadoodle
Master Member

Post by crickadoodle »

Well, I've been getting Mom to drink more water and have fed her some of my soups and all.  Her blood sugar was 90 this morning.  It has been so high lately.  It has gone down at night too -- was averaging in the upper 200s and now mid 100s.  I found that yesterday and today, she was thinking so much more clearly too.  I feel like this is a breakthrough. 

It's funny.  I started LDL for me and for losing weight.  Now, it is helping my mom with her diabetes and me with taking care of her.  My husband is starting to do it too, and is losing weight.  I'll bet it'll help him with his high blood pressure too.  It seems to have been a blessing to more than just me.  Of course, I'm sharing it with others too.  It's like that proverbial pebble thrown into the pond with the rings travelling outward.