SomerSweet for sweetening

Get innovations here.
BTDT

SomerSweet for sweetening

Post by BTDT »

I'm brand spanking new here! This is my first post. I was wondering if Suzanne Somer's SomerSweet could be used as a sweetener. It contains Oligofructose (I know...fructose, but apparently according to her, it's different), Inulin, Sprouted Mung Bean Extract and Acesulfame K.
isthis4me

Re: SomerSweet for sweetening

Post by isthis4me »

jes' some edumication  :tongue:

Oligofructose is a subgroup of inulin, consisting of polymers with a degree of polymerization (DP) 10. Inulin and oligofructose are not digested in the upper gastrointestinal tract; therefore, they have a reduced caloric value. They stimulate the growth of intestinal bifidobacteria. They do not lead to a rise in serum glucose or stimulate insulin secretion. Several commercial grades of inulin are available that have a neutral, clean flavor and are used to improve the mouthfeel, stability and acceptability of low fat foods. Oligofructose has a sweet, pleasant flavor and is highly soluble. It can be used to fortify foods with fiber without contributing any deleterious organoleptic effects, to improve the flavor and sweetness of low calorie foods and to improve the texture of fat-reduced foods. Inulin and oligofructose possess several functional and nutritional properties, which may be used to formulate innovative healthy foods for today's consumer.

Inulin and oligofructose are natural food ingredients commonly found in varying percentages in dietary foods. They are present in >36,000 plant species (Carpita et al. 1989 ). In fact, it has been estimated that Americans consume on average 1–4 g of inulin and oligofructose per day and Europeans average 3–10 g/d (Van Loo et al. 1995 ). Inulin and oligofructose are present as plant storage carbohydrates in a number of vegetables and plants including wheat, onion, bananas, garlic and chicory.
there is much more here

http://jn.nutrition.org/cgi/content/full/129/7/1402S
~*~Angel of God, my guardian dear to whom God's love commits me here. Ever this day/night be at my side to light, to guard, to rule and guide.
Amen. ~*~Image
greenheron

Re: SomerSweet for sweetening

Post by greenheron »

If you've been using SomerSweet and like it, you've got RT's thumb's up.  I tried it a few years ago and I didn't care for the aftertaste...I think it's the Ace K, which can be bitter when heated. 

And, like any sugar substitute, you just don't WANT to use too much.  Overdo, and it tastes nasty.  If you like it, enjoy!  And rest assured you'll really love your food choices on LDL :)