pineapples

Get innovations here.
RB Kayaking
Master Member

pineapples

Post by RB Kayaking »

For all of you that have never tackled a pineapple, don't be put off by its tough look.  If the pineapple is ripe the top will just twist off.  If it doesn't just take a sharp knife and wack it off and the same with the bottom.  Then slice down the sides just catching the yellow part of the fruit and don't worry about all the eyes that you are leaving behind.

Toss the stuff you just cut off and then go back over the pineapple slicing thick enough to eliminate the eyes.  Then cut the pineapple in half then in half again.  Cut the core out and put core and the freshly sliced eyes into a container and add water to it.  Let this water set for half hour or over night and you have the best pineapple water that I use as a refreshing drink or in my smoothies.

Enjoy the fruit and the water.

RB Kayaking
heretotheend

Re: pineapples

Post by heretotheend »

I have never bought a fresh pineapple. The only time I had a fresh one was when we were in Hawaii. They really are delicious so I guess I need to step up and buy one. Thanks for the tip on how to prepare.

Martha
RandomRaff

Post by RandomRaff »

*love*

Oh my! I, nor my family have ever purchased a pinnaple before in our entire lives... I have always stared at them in a grocery store and turned the other cheek since I didn't know how to handle this wonderful fruit! Thank you soo much for this, you have much of my (and I am sure - the lurkers) gratitude!!  :rose:

Raffi
greenheron

Post by greenheron »

Pineapples will not ripen after picking (neither will strawberries, by the way) so make sure you choose one that's ripe already.

Ripe pineapples will have a mostly golden/brown exterior with a green top.  If you see brown "leaves" in the spike, or soft spots, don't buy it.  The bottom (stem end) of the pineapple should smell sweet, but not overly so, and you don't want any fermented smell....that's a pineapple that has passed its prime.

I'm REALLY not trying to make this more complicated....you just won't be happy if you buy a green pineapple...and neither will your tongue....green pineapple makes my mouth hurt!

Ripe, fresh pineapple is SUCH a treat....don't be afraid to buy one.....the worst thing that could happen is that you get one too green or overripe and waste $3.....but since you used to spend that much on a single Starbucks drink, it's SO worth it!!
Sunny Girl
New, but learning

Post by Sunny Girl »

Helpful instructions on cutting the pineapple....BUT, if you can spring $9.00 for a great tool, Safeway Stores sell a FANTASTIC tool to cut pineapples for $8.99.  It's a white plastic tube looking thing with a turn handle.  You cut off the top of the pineapple, place this tool on the freshly cut area and twist.  The tool works it way down the inside of the pineapple.  when you reach the bottom of the pineapple, you pull the tool out.  The fruit comes out in rings, and the core of the pineapple stays inside.  I looked at these tools for a couple of years (and hated every minute of cutting the pineapple) until I finally bought one a few years back.  I DO NOT HESITATE TO BUY FRESH PINEAPPLES NOW, CAUSE OF MY TOOL!  It is so easy to use!    :D
CodingQueen
Master Member

Post by CodingQueen »

Sunny Girl,

I'm going to have to check that out. I love fresh pineapple. I don't even waste my money buying the canned stuff...nasty.

greenheron, I've never been able to buy a drink at Starbucks for $3.00...what do you get? Now I try to stay out of there because I always had to have a blueberry scone to go with my coffee.

CQ
RB Kayaking
Master Member

Post by RB Kayaking »

I have purchased green pineapples because of the great price and I've always had them ripen for me.  I always felt that the pineapple tool cut off too much of the fruit  and remember I put that second layer (the eyes and core) into a container and add water to it.

Once you try fresh you'll never go back to canned.  DO TRY WITH A KNIFE OR A TOOL.

Kinda like tuna, once you've had fresh that canned stuff is just that.

RB Kayaking
CodingQueen
Master Member

Post by CodingQueen »

I agree with you, RB. In fact, my husband gets angry with me because I only want the sushi grade tuna. Our neighbor is half Japanese and I had the pleasure of tasting it while she was making sushi for a party...awesome!

If the tool takes off too much of the fruit then I don't want it. I don't mind working for my dinner... :laughing:

CQ
greenheron

Post by greenheron »

I would agree about the tool....it's only going to make one diameter cut...and pineapples are going to vary.

I had to chuckle...this afternoon's Iron Chef America was battle Pineapple...never saw so many pineapples being cut, sliced, fried, grillled....with plenty of sharp knives.

That's the key...a good sharp knife.  A well-sharpened knife is safer than a dull one because it takes less effort and you're less likely to lose control.  If you can slice off the top and bottom, then the outer shell in about 8 pieces, there will be just a little trimming to do, and then you can cut out most of the remaining little eyes in wedge shaped pieces.  If you happen to have a tomato shark, it's great for that, too.  Slice down along the core in three cuts...each piece will be smaller...and then don't forget to gnaw on the core. :)  Kind of like eating sweetcorn...good stuff to eat off a hard middle.
massageangel

Post by massageangel »

I bought a ripe fresh one from a produce store last week for $1.99.  It was so juicy and sweet.  Most of the time they are 3.99 or 4.99 so this was a deal.
RB Kayaking
Master Member

Post by RB Kayaking »

OOOH, I only watch Iron Chef once in awhile.  The secret food was pineapple?  What was the best sounding use of pineapple?

If I get one that isn't real sweet I put basil pesto grapeseed oil on it and grill it.  Talk about--yummo!

RB Kayaking