Food Police? - Day 2 of WOE

Get innovations here.
RandomRaff

Food Police? - Day 2 of WOE

Post by RandomRaff »

Would any food police be able to advise if the following was considered ok for the day? This is an experpt from my journal :)

"

B: Half a smoothie ( We were in a hurrry  :poo: )
S: GRAPES / half my chili since I didn't finish my smoothie - still trying to figure out MY porportions on this WOE...
L: Other half of chili! (Mary's chili was taaaaasty, added more chili powder and oh My goodness - tastiest chili I have ever had)
D: 8 Corn thins with some reduced fat philly spread (smoked salmon), with a slice of tomato on top, and 1 corn on the cob...stuffed now

Is this ok food police?

Oh and how is Tomato soup considered? And orange juice? How about refried beans for a lunch? or ok as a breakfast? Sorry for all the questions team  :blush: "
I am sooo happy to have found corn thins here locally - I wonder if there's an unacceptable amount of corn thins to have? Appears that is a NO in the forums - but my concern - is
corn thins + whatever the toppings are... IE what I had for dinner.. philly spread, tomato, and the corn thin - multiply by 8 or 10 - that considered too many cals? Or is my brain still stuck on this calorie counting silliness? hehe

Thank you all very much!

Raffi  *love*
Last edited by RandomRaff on July 16th, 2009, 11:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
greenheron

Re: Food Police? - Day 2 of WOE

Post by greenheron »

Good morning, Raffi!

(Ring ring ring ring ring ring ring...Bananaphone!  :laughing:  Sorry...couldn't help myself!)

First of all, don't be worrying about "portions" at this point.  Well, yes, you should take enough time to eat, and pack enough to stay satisfied, but it's MOST important that eat enough to be FULL!  You've got to convince your body that you're not going to deprive it.  THEN you'll lose your cravings, and your food needs will change naturally, without any concious portioning.

Your food choices for the day were fine, except, perhaps for the RF cream cheese.  Roger Troy considers ALL dairy as fattening, even the FF type (since they replace the fat with sugars, or starches) and they should be very limited.  If you had cream cheese on all 8 corn thins, that was probably more dairy than you should have in a week.  Sorry if that bums you out, but you could have problems if you keep eating that much cream cheese.

(psstt...I'll tell you a secret....the first couple weeks I was doing LDL, I ate 1 oz goat cheese, with pepper and balsamic vinaigrette, split between two corn thins, with a big serving of corn almost every night for supper....and lost weight....of course in the beginning, all the other changes I was making were considerable, so the weight DOES come off.  If you just love that cream cheese, limit yourself to one or two corn thins, a couple times a week.)

You can eat those corn thins with your chili, or make LDL compliant hummus, or refried beans, or salsa....you'll find all kinds of uses for them!

A note about the corn thins...you mentioned elsewhere that you bought the Flax variety....the food police will tell you that seeds aren't allowed, so avoid the flax because of the added fat.  Stick to the Original corn thins, or I think the lemon-pepper is OK, too.  I've tried the flax ones, too, when my store was out of original...I couldn't tell the difference...so buy the Original, if you can.

Tomato soup is on the "grocery list" because it's used in one of the recipes in the book (RM's Made Rights) but canned soup usually has ingredients that aren't LDL friendly.  Don't eat it as "soup."  It's really easy to make excellent tomato soup, especially now when tomatoes actually taste like tomatoes!

Orange juice is fine in small servings, or in your smoothies, as long as you're not buying any with added sugar.  Because juices don't have all the fiber and filling power as whole fruit, they shouldn't replace your fruit servings.  You're getting more calories in a glass of OJ than in an orange or two, so eat the whole fruit when you can, and use juice as an ingredient, or a small serving.

And BEAAANNNSSSSSS can be eaten for any meal...or snack!  Refried beans for breakfast are fine....try a fried or scrambled egg on top, with a slosh of salsa, or a sprinkle of FF cheese, scooped up with a corn thin.  Again, check labels on those cans....get the FF refried beans, or make your own and season them as you like.

You're absolutely right about the corn thins....it would appear that you can eat as many as you want, as long as you're not topping them with less-than-friendly toppings.  It's likely that you'll just WANT fewer and fewer as time goes on.  If you can afford them ;)  eat as many as you want, just put away the cream cheese for a while.

In general, you're doing great...just plan ahead a little better for breakfast/lunch so you don't leave yourself short at lunchtime, and keep asking questions! :)
RandomRaff

Post by RandomRaff »

Greenheron,

You're not the only one to bring up the bananaphone, or the baby baluga, or the... hehe it's quite alright!   :tongue:

I was not too concerned about portions, I am just trying to get used to what amounts of food actually make me feel totally FULL - all a learning! Sometime's I have eaten until 'full' ...at least so I had thought then, and was hungry a few hours later - time to incorporate more beans!!!

Ah yes the cream cheese...I had spread enough so that it hardly covered the thin but add those up and that can spell danger! I figured it'd have been better than using old cheese but I think no matter what way I swing it, laying off the cheese and issueing it an allowance of a couple tmies a week is a necessity lol!

As for the the corn thins - I will go out today and pick up the appropriate ones! Thank you, I figured 'flax' content would be better but aparantly I was wrong - no problem, thank you thank you for letting me know!!! I also has sneaky suspicions about the orange juice and had decided to only use it when making smoothies ,but within appropriate amounts!

Refried beans are good news - I may stay away from adding the egg in the morning since I really want to limit my eggs to only lunch time, I spent a good few minutes reading the ingredients in addition to the nut. label for all of the refriend beans at my local store... Bought two cans to try them out - I am sure they will taste good haha. Same could be said about tomato soup... I might start taking tomatos, garlic and misc ingredients and make myself a real soup with none of that added stuff from the cans!

I brought a HUGE lunch today - a tuna spread, corn thins, and chili! - But since the tuna spread has protein (obviously), I should leave it if at all possible for lunch right?

Thank you very much greenheron and team!! Thank you all for the continued patience and most excellent guidance!  

*love* Raffi
Last edited by RandomRaff on July 17th, 2009, 10:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
turkkm
Master Member

Post by turkkm »

Little Mary's tomato soup in the recipe secion totally rocks!  I love it and make it all the time.  You can put popcorn on top of it in place of crackers or use corn thins for crackers.  It is so filling that its hard to believe you don't gain weight! 

Personally I have to stay away from cream cheese of any kind....if I have a little, I can't say no.  Don't let the cream cheese keep you from being successful. If you find you are not losing, stop eating it because there are so many other delicious foods on this plan you won't miss it.  Roger suggests making substitutions so you still answer the need for craving a certain food.  I love that salmon cream cheese too!  If you are looking for an LDL friendly substitute for salmon cream cheese....I make salmon salad with a can of salmon drained, low fat mayo (mine is 15 cal. per tablespoon) a little liquid smoke (by the bbq sauce in the grocery) or smokey mustard (makes it taste like smoked salmon) and a little minced onion and celery.  This is creamy and good on corn thins, yummers.  I think it is fun to keep tweaking things I like to eat and making them more LDL friendly...kind of like a challenge!  So, have some fun with this eating plan!  :cool:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageFor we walk by faith, not by sight.
cjs0557

Post by cjs0557 »

HI Raffi!  I am just like you with a TON of questions and questionable food intake.  There is so much to learn and everyone is right in saying that you must read the book at least 3 times.  I learn something new everytime I read it.  And I would love to take this journey with you.  I can hardly wait until the weight loss begins, but I feel tons better eating this way!  I have 70 lbs to lose  :thumbdown: but everyone tells me that NO ONE FAILS
cjs0557

Post by cjs0557 »

HI Raffi!  Sorry about the way the previous post ended...my laptop has a mind of its' own.  :sad: I know we can make this work for us!  Hang in there!  ;D

Later Gator,
Cyndy
greenheron

Post by greenheron »

Cyndy wrote:HI Raffi!  Sorry about the way the previous post ended...my laptop has a mind of its' own.  :sad: I know we can make this work for us!  Hang in there!   ;D

Later Gator,
Cyndy

Hey, Cyndy :)

If you go to your own posts, you'll see a "modify" button in the upper right corner...you can edit your own posts as often as you wish.  Many people do this to add onto the foods they've eaten that day for their journal.  I just do it to fix my typos!  :laughing:
turkkm
Master Member

Post by turkkm »

I am the typo queen so the modify button is my friend too greenheron!  ;)
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageFor we walk by faith, not by sight.