Sub for Bannas

Get innovations here.
Janel

Sub for Bannas

Post by Janel »

I have been reading the rec for all kinds of stuff with bannas in them and I'm allergic to bannas is there any thing to use that is like it in place of it.
janel
Janel

Re: Sub for Bannas

Post by Janel »

Thank you Roger Troy,
I will see if I can find a bean that I can not taste in the smoothies.  The Recipes that i was looking at are some on this site.  Beans it is
janel
Joyful Friend
Master Member

Post by Joyful Friend »

Janel, I'm sorry you can't enjoy bananas because the blueberry pie and peach cobbler recipes off the board are so good.  Try heating the blueberries and put a dollop of cool whip.  Others will probably give you other ideas.  Joyful Friend
RB Kayaking
Master Member

Post by RB Kayaking »

Good ole mashed up white beans are a great substitute for a banana.  You can still put blueberries on them and heat them up for a sweet treat.

They go great in smoothies.  My bean haters have no clue that I add them to smoothies or soups or the tamale pie or many other things that I make.  As long as there is no whole bean in sight, they munch happily.

Hope this helps.

RB Kayaking
Gwennaford
Master Member

Post by Gwennaford »

Definitely, try the beans in your smoothies.  Mango also provides a thick silkiness like you get with bananas and can be found frozen in the grocery store.

I know it sounds totally weird, but PatsyFay started us using canned pumpkin in a hot smoothie that a lot of people enjoy.  That got me to thinking that unseasoned roasted winter squash of other varieties might also be good as a smoothie additive.  Squash is naturally sweet and LOADED with nutrition.  

I have eaten sliced roasted Kabocha Squash as a treat for breakfast and dessert.  Seriously, don't knock it 'til you've tried it.  It tastes like it's coverd with honey!  Try searching the boards for discussion about it & Google "winter squash" to learn more.

Gwen
Last edited by Gwennaford on September 27th, 2009, 3:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
• Join me in the Let’s Do Lunch message boards!
ImageImage
Joyful Friend
Master Member

Post by Joyful Friend »

Gwin, How does Kabocha Squash look?  I've never heard of it.  Sounds great!!! Forever Friend
Gwennaford
Master Member

Post by Gwennaford »

It's about the size & shape of a pie pumpkin, dark green, mottled & warty with sometimes some yellow areas on the skin.  Totally charming - like a big toad or a little troll.  Inside is the darkest, richest deep rusty orange flesh that is SO sweet I couldn't believe it.  Ten times richer than raw pumpkin.  When it's roasted . . .  :drool:

I suggest you Google it and click on "images" to see some pics & get the full effect.  There are also pics posted here on the boards if you want to search General Discussion messages for keyword "kabocha".
• Join me in the Let’s Do Lunch message boards!
ImageImage
crickadoodle
Master Member

Post by crickadoodle »

I think I've seen those in the store, but had no idea what they were or how to cook them.  They look more decorative than anything.  So, you tell me that they taste great.  I'm always ready to try something new.  Thanks, Gwen!
tprouty
Master Member

Post by tprouty »

Hey Janel!

Great ideas here for substituting beans for bananas. If you use white beans in your smoothie, just use a little -- like maybe 1/3 cup or so. Otherwise you can taste them.

The blueberry pie (it's in the Breakfast recipe section, I think) would probably be great with some well mashed white beans substituted for the banana, and add a little stevia or Splenda to replace the banana's sweetness. A dash of cinnamon -- and you're all set! We also like apple added cooked with almost any other fruit. Or try mashing up a canned pear -- I know you can do those.  ;)

Winter squash -- sooooo good!

Love, Mom