Thanksgiving

Get innovations here.
borntolose

Thanksgiving

Post by borntolose »

Hi, I have been doing LDL for about 1 1/2 months and have lost 14 pounds. Thanksgiving is coming up and although I would like to eat a traditional Thanksgiving dinner, I want to stay on my diet more. Do you have any suggestions of things we can eat that will give us the illution of having a traditional dinner but without all the fat and sweets? Any help is extremely appreciated as I still have 50+ pounds to lose and I want to keep the weight coming off. 
t-rock
Master Member

Re: Thanksgiving

Post by t-rock »

Hi Borntolose (although for some reason a Springsteen song immediately pops in to my head):

For Thanksgiving, it's just me and my husband this year, and I have been thinking about how to "make it work", without either of us feeling deprived.

-Turkey breast, brined, with herbs and olive oil under the skin.
-Butter bean/cauliflower "mashed potatoes"...made with chicken stock, a little ff sour cream, and olive oil or earth balance spread
-homemade cranberry sauce made with cooking splenda
-gravy made with chicken stock, some pureed beans, and spices of choice
-caramelized onions made with onions and chicken stock (takes a long time on the stove)
-and lots of vegetables of choice...broccoli, carrots with dill, brussel sprouts
-maybe make those gingerbread brownies on the site as a substitute for pumpkin pie, and add a little ff cool whip as a treat ?
-stuffing will probably be the hardest part, but maybe you could do something with some dark brown rice, celery, sage, onion, and  dried cherries ?

Emjoy! I know I will be thankful for LDL....
VickiLynn
Master Member

Post by VickiLynn »

Welcome Borntolose!

This topic seems to come up close to all of the holidays where food is the main focus of our celebration -- Thanksgiving, Christmas, Easter, etc.  I am giving you a link to a Thanksgiving menu that our our Little Mary created a while back.  I love the fact that it starts out with a soup course and ends with dessert.  Hope you can take some of her suggetions and put them into your own Thanksgiving menu.

http://www.letsdolunch.com/boards/index ... pic=1875.0

Vicki
borntolose

Post by borntolose »

Thanks to all of you for your suggestions. I am now able to put together a Thanksgiving dinner that I feel will be healthy and won't damage my efforts so far. I'm not much for pumpkin pie but my husband is and I'm sure he will enjoy the crustless pumpkin pie version. As for me, if I can find it, I will probably have some sugar free/fat free frozen yogurt. Happy Thanksgiving everyone.