smoothie trick

Get innovations here.
julybug

smoothie trick

Post by julybug »

Whenever I use canned fruit I save the juice in small snack sized ziplock bags in the freezer.  Make sure you are using canned fruit that is canned in juice not sugar syrup.  Pineapple, pear, and mixed fruit are the most common juice I have on hand like this.  Then when I make a smoothie I use this frozen juice instead of ice cubes.  I do not even bother to label what kind of juice it is in each bag but can tell a little from the colors at this point.  Hope this helps a little,  July bug
......Image

Am I the only one hearing the Rocky theme "Getting strong now" all day?
leisuregranny

Re: smoothie trick

Post by leisuregranny »

Hi Julybug,

I do this all the time.  It's a great way to add flavor and keep things from gretting watered down with ice.  Besides, the frozen juice blends better than ice.  Ice sometimes doesn't always break down all the way, making the smoothie have the texture of an icee rather than creamy.

Blessings,

Sylvia
IF WE MEET AND YOU FORGET ME, YOU HAVE LOST NOTHING. 
BUT, IF YOU MEET JESUS AND FORGET HIM, YOU HAVE LOST EVERYTHING!

godstemple

Post by godstemple »

Great idea. Here is another, if you use frozen fruit you do not need ice. I never use ice with my smoothies. Also, you can freeze sliced bananas and use them like ice cubes. Blessing to you on your weight loss. 
leisuregranny

Post by leisuregranny »

That's what I did this morning, since it's always a rush to get ready for church.  I put a frozen banana, 1 cup of fresh frozen pineapple chunks, 3/4 cup. orange juice, Stevia and a few drops of coconut extract in the blender until creamy.  Yummy!  I drank it on the way to church.

Blessings to you.

stephyanders

Post by stephyanders »

I also never use ice, as I buy bags of frozen fruit at the store or use the fruit I froze last summer. I found a really good deal at Costco on a 6lb bag of frozen mixed fruits (peaches, strawberries,  melons, blueberries) for $8.35, so I've been using that.
I usually add a little OJ in the blender though, because it needs some liquids.
rodie

Post by rodie »

I also don't use ice and I get  the frozen triple berry at Sams club. I found a 0 sugar added cranberry juice that has on 30 calories,per 8 fl oz,verses the 110 calories that the simple orange juice has.I do put a yogurt in mine so I'm really not sure if I'm saving anything then,but it's sure good.
Hugzzzzz
Rodie :)
leisuregranny

Post by leisuregranny »

Rodie,

Where do you find the 0 sugar added cranberry juice, and which brand is it?  I have had bladder cancer (cancer free for 10 years now), and my doctor suggested I drink cranberry juice, but I never found one without sugar.

Blessings,
Sylvia

niki
Administrator

Post by niki »

leisuregranny wrote: I have had bladder cancer (cancer free for 10 years now), and my doctor suggested I drink cranberry juice, but I never found one without sugar.

if you've been cancer free for 10 years, i really wouldn't worry about it...they say cranberry juice is good because it lowers the bacteria somehow by flushing the bladder wall and if someone has a tendency to have bladder infections, it reduces them....but, it's never been ANYTHING that's been proven and most important is getting your eating habits in control and the weight loss which will reduce SO MANY health risks and have SO MUCH more of an impact on your overall good health....
life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...it's about learning to dance in the rain..
Bethann
Master Member

Post by Bethann »

At our health store and also at one of our drugstores in town (that carries some health food items and supplements) we can buy bottled concentrated Cranberry Juice with no sugar. Of course it is very strong but juice or water can be added to it. I buy it for my Mother on a regular basis to prevent bladder infections.

I was putting frozen cranberries in my smoothies for awhile. I think I got the idea from Beth B. (or it could have been someone else) on here.  :wrong:
Beth(ann)