La Tortilla Factory low fat / high fiber tortillas

Get innovations here.
G0Dallas
New, but learning

La Tortilla Factory low fat / high fiber tortillas

Post by G0Dallas »

I accidentally came across the La Tortilla Factory low carb high fiber tortillas at a local condo grocery store, so with just 50 calories a piece, I tried the Garlic and Herb tortillas and loved them.  They also have Green Onion and Original:

http://www.latortillafactory.com/products-3.aspx

Original Tortillas
Ingredients: water, oat fiber, whole wheat flour, soy flour, vital wheat gluten, expeller pressed canola oil, contains less than 2% of each of the following: baking powder (sodium acid pyrophosphate, sodium bicarbonate, corn starch, monocalcium phosphate), sea salt, guar gum, citric acid, yeast, xanthan gum, l-cysteine, to maintain freshness (sorbic acid, calcium propionate).

Low Carb Green Onion Tortillas
Ingredients: water, oat fiber, whole wheat flour, soy flour, vital wheat gluten, expeller pressed canola oil, contains less than 2% of each of the following: green onion, onion powder, baking powder (sodium acid pyrophosphate, sodium bicarbonate, corn starch, monocalcium phosphate), sea salt, yeast, xanthan gum, guar gum, citric acid, l-cysteine, to maintain freshness (sorbic acid, calcium propionate).

Low Carb Garlic Herb Tortillas
Ingredients: water, oat fiber, whole wheat flour, soy flour, vital wheat gluten, expeller pressed canola oil, contains less than 2% of each of the following: spice, baking powder (sodium acid pyrophosphate, sodium bicarbonate, corn starch, monocalcium phosphate), sea salt, guar gum, citric acid, natural garlic flavor, yeast, xanthan gum; l-cysteine, to maintain freshness (sorbic acid, calcium propionate).
CodingQueen
Master Member

Re: La Tortilla Factory low fat / high fiber tortillas

Post by CodingQueen »

A note to the newbies....Please don't eat these....they will definitely cause you to have a major food craving.

CQ
G0Dallas
New, but learning

Post by G0Dallas »

Thanks...I guess I need to figure out the key words to look for indicating "processed".  It's not always clear from the ingredients verbiage...
bludaffodil

Post by bludaffodil »

GODallas.......a simple way to figure it out is this:

If it is not the way God made it.........or anything has been added
to it to "change" it.......then it is processed.  ;)
G0Dallas
New, but learning

Post by G0Dallas »

Nice.  Very funny.  Too bad they don't put that on the labels.  (I'm sure most likely due to limited space :) )
bludaffodil

Post by bludaffodil »

:D

You are so right!  :thumbsup:
LINDA RN
Master Member

Post by LINDA RN »

If the ingredients say wheat, rice or oats in any form, stay away from it.
Linda
"And ye shall eat in plenty, and be satisfied, and praise the name of the LORD your God, that hath dealt wondrously with you: and my people shall never be ashamed. Joel 2:26

Taste and see that the Lord is good...
tprouty
Master Member

Post by tprouty »

Hi Dallas! Welcome to Let's Do Lunch! I'm really glad to see you are exploring and trying to find the healthiest products you can find. That's a good thing!

Whole grains are nutritious, healthy foods -- BUT they are NOT your friend from a weight loss standpoint. Grains of almost any kind tend to spike your blood sugar to one degree or another, and that is what causes cravings and can lead to real trouble. My theory is that while some people have obvious allergies and sensitivities to grains (like celiacs can't tolerate gluten), there is a whole, hidden segment of the population that has a lesser degree of sensitivity to grains. This shows up as cravings for the bad stuff, and in destabilized blood sugar (even if we don't have diabetes), which leads to being overweight.

So my plan is to stay away from all grains on a permanent basis, as much as possible. Really -- once you get into exploring all the GREAT foods that are allowed on LDL, and try new recipes and new foods, you won't miss the grains at all. I promise.

For wraps -- lettuce is a bit messy, but really delicious. If I'm out and need to buy a quick lunch, I can get lettuce wraps at many fast food places instead of the standard burger bun. I love the taste of the sandwich without all the interference from the bread!  :D

Enjoy your journey -- and keep exploring!
Terri
MsHeirloom
Master Member

Post by MsHeirloom »

Terri- Are you saying that McDs and Burger King will make a lettuce wrap if requested?  I sometimes have Whopper Jrs. without the mayo.  I squeeze any grease into the bun, then place the de-greased beef patty, lettuce, and tomato onto corn thins.  I eat two of them for a "meal on the run," maybe once a month.  It's kinda messy but works for me.  Pam
tprouty
Master Member

Post by tprouty »

I haven't been to McD's or Burger King for a while -- my favorite sandwich is Carl's Jr, Santa Fe chicken (without the cheese). Or I occasionally substitute a burger instead of the chicken breast. They serve any sandwich as lettuce wrap on request. I have been to a couple of other places (I don't remember) and asked for lettuce wrap instead of the bun, with no problem. You can ask!

When the Atkins and zero-carb diets were so popular, many fast food restaurants got on board with serving sandwiches as lettuce wraps on request. For Atkins, the fat in the cheese, burger, bacon and sauces didn't matter -- just the carbs in the bun!  :blink:  It's still nice, though, to reap some small benefit from that fad.

If you have success at McD's or BK, let us know!

Lookin' good, Mrs. H!

Terri
MsHeirloom
Master Member

Post by MsHeirloom »

Thanks, Terri- I'll keep you posted.  We don't have Carls Jr. in the midwest.  Pam