REQUEST YOUR TIPS for BEST BRANDS of EACH FOOD!

Get innovations here.
LINDA RN
Master Member

Re: REQUEST YOUR TIPS for BEST BRANDS of EACH FOOD!

Post by LINDA RN »

I have found Bush's canned beans to be the best.
Wal-Mart's generic brand of canned tomatoes, brans, veggies etc have the least number of additives.
Rachel Ray's chicken broth did not have MSG. I can't remember if there was a problem with her beef broth though.
I think one kind of Progresso beef broth was OK. Wal-Mart stopped carrying Rachel Ray and now all the Progresso broth has MSG.
There is one kind of Swanson's broth now (smaller containers, that they took the MSG out of.
Of course there is the God brand of fresh fruits and veggies!
Last edited by LINDA RN on August 29th, 2010, 8:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Linda
"And ye shall eat in plenty, and be satisfied, and praise the name of the LORD your God, that hath dealt wondrously with you: and my people shall never be ashamed. Joel 2:26

Taste and see that the Lord is good...
jaydensmommy

Post by jaydensmommy »

question, what is the date of the newest version of your book
Debbie B
VickiLynn
Master Member

Post by VickiLynn »

Roger, are they any specific foods that you have in mind? 

For canned beans, I use Bush beans -- all except the kidney beans which have sugar in them.  For kidney beans I recommend Goya. 

Canned tomatoes: I use mostly Hunts but I use Del Monte too

Frozen Veggies: Birdseye are the best by far (more costly but worth the price)

Canned Veggies: Libby's or Del Monte

I don't buy many canned fruits but when I do it is usually the Dole pineapple (in it's own juice) or any other fruit packed in pear concentrate.
jaydensmommy

Post by jaydensmommy »

I bought the 2009 version in October on Amazon before finding this site.  What updates have been made since this version if I may ask?
Debbie B
Joyful Friend
Master Member

Post by Joyful Friend »

I am a bargain shopper, so I usually use many different brands.  The best thing is to read the ingredients.  Aldi, Kroger, and Walmart brands are great.  Sometimes they are better than brand names, and a whole lot less expensive.  I usually buy in bulk-24 cans.  I make sure the date is for over a year.  I cook from scratch most of my beans, but always keep cans for Taco and Pizza soups.  I made Bill's mashed potatoes from limas that I cooked, and I thought they were much better than the canned ones.  I buy mushrooms, and corn also in bulk.  I use a lot of frozen corn and peas.  Reading ingredients doesn't take that long. I love this WOE, and I plan to be cooking and eating this way the rest of my life, so I want to get the best kick for my bucks.  :laughing:  Thanks Roger, for the lists in the book.  They helped me a whole lot at the beginning.  Then Country Girl and I set out to find the lesser expensive ones that met the criteria of no sugar or last on the list of ingredients.  At the workshops, I showed the cans, and talked about ingredients.  I just love pickled beets, so I buy Kroger's whole small beets, (Beets, water, salt) I add vinegar and splenda, and enjoy them.  They keep in refrigerator a long time.  :thumbsup: JF
vleller

Post by vleller »

I buy mostly Bush's beans, reduced sodium, but then I rinse them before cooking.
I buy frozen corn, green beans & peas. Usually Birds Eye or Green Giant.  I don't like the Publix generic frozen veggies.
I like the Rotel canned tomatoes as they have no sugar added and I like a little kick in my dishes.  I just have to hold back on the Cajun spice when I use the Rotels. ;)  I sometimes do buy the Del Monte tomatoes in bulk.
I think it's Swanson stock/broth that doesn't have the MSG; I'll buy them when on sale or make my own stock.
I like the Bumblebee brand of tuna fish in water.
My fruits are mostly fresh or frozen, but I occasionally buy the Dole gold pineapple in bulk from CostCo.
I make my own soups so I don't buy the canned ones anymore.

That's all I can think of right now.  If I think of more, I'll add them.
[glow=red,2,300]Lynn[/glow]
Lynn
Ginny M.
Master Member

Post by Ginny M. »

As I have one group of grocery stores in Michigan and another in Florida, I have started keeping the labels and a list of the brands I prefer and which stores sell it.  In Michigan I found Treasure Cave Reduced Fat Crumbled Blue Cheese at Meijer's.  Prego 100% Natural Marinara sauce is found at Walmarts in Michigan (I hope they have it at my Florida Walmart).  I buy Bush's Navy Beans (no sugar added) by the case at Walmarts in Michigan and Florida (It's my favoriet bean  ;D ).  When I need red kidney beans, I find Meijer Organics Dark Red Kidney beans in Michigan.  In Florida I can get kidney beans with no sugar at Winn Dixie or Walmarts.  I love Winn Dixie Italian Style Crushed Tomatoes for my Gazpacho-Tomato Soup.  Can't get it in Michigan.  The Italian Style gives it a good mix of spices to the soup.  Goya brand has sugar free can butter beans (why do they have to put sugar in beans??).  It's the only one I have found that is sugar free.  It's easier to find in Walmart or Winn Dixie in Florida than it is to find in Michigan.  I live in a 5th Wheel trailer so I have a small refridgerator, even smaller freezer, and some can storage.I buy my beans in a can because of space.  I like frozen veggies (taste) over canned ones.  I try to keep my fruit fresh and some of my salad-type veggies.

What brand of mayo, milk or yogurt is best for LDL?  I know it's an occasional item but these have been the hardest to find a "low sugar" or "sugar free" and also Fat free.

I also use Hunts low-sugar katsup when I use katsup. 

*hug*
Ginny