Homemade v8 juice

Get innovations here.
pmilburn

Homemade v8 juice

Post by pmilburn »

I wasn't going to share this cause I figured no one else was as old fashioned as me and still canned things from the garden,but it sounds like there are quite a few gardeners out there - who knew!!  This year my hubby planted about 35 tomato plants and there are just the two of us at home- needless to say it was more than we could eat.  I have dehydrated them in the past which worked fine but I had a bit of trouble using them that way.  It didn't seem worth it to just can them as I can get canned tomatoes on sale that seem just as good..  I decided to try making my own fresh v8 juice especially since the store bought is made from concentrate and can get expensive when you use alot for soup.... so I went to the web and found a few recipes and ended up canning about 40 quarts of v8 juice.  I am loving it just drink or add to recipes, especially vegetable soup- I also add a can of beef broth and viola = great soup broth that you can then add anything you want to for veggies - I have found some canned w/o potatoes "called fresh like" that are really good, then I add black eyed peas. 

Anyway, the v8 juice has depth of flavor you would not believe...  it contains tomatoes, carrots, celery, onion (just a bit), peppers of any color, garlic, worchester sauce, parsley, apple, horseradish (important), salt and pepper and splenda to taste.  You can also add a bit of heat - but be careful it seems to get hotter after canning...  :rolleyes:You need a juicer to make it so that might be a bit radical, but I plan to make it every year from now on.  I hope what I made will last the winter - my daughter "discovered" it and keeps coming over and helping herself, which I invited her to do - what was I thinking?????  :wrong:
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wxEjaUt/]
coryell
New, but learning

Re: Homemade v8 juice

Post by coryell »

Remember your mother uses lots of v8 in her venison all veggie soups, too.  This is my noon protein meal most days. So save some for me.  Breakfast fruit a chore, but grapefrut my morning desert,
Joyful Friend
Master Member

Post by Joyful Friend »

The v-8 juice (home canned) sounds sooo delicious.  :thumbsup: JF
LINDA RN
Master Member

Post by LINDA RN »

Home made V-8 sounds yummy. I have steered clear of the store-bought kind because some has corn syrup and MSG.
BTW today I found Lea&Perrines Reduced Sodium Worcestershire Sauce with sugar instead of corn syrup.
May still have MSG but it is listed at the end as natural flavoring.
Compared to the regular sauce it had half the ingredients (same good stuff, less additives).
Yah, I bought it!
Linda
"And ye shall eat in plenty, and be satisfied, and praise the name of the LORD your God, that hath dealt wondrously with you: and my people shall never be ashamed. Joel 2:26

Taste and see that the Lord is good...