Roger's Story part 1

LINDA RN
Master Member

Roger's Story part 1

Post by LINDA RN »

MY STORY
It Might Be Your Story Too!

"No way! "The man standing across the table from me at a book signing refused to believe both photos on the cover of this book are of me.

I replied simply: "Yes ... guilty as charged."

The BEFORE photo of the guy on the left was taken when I was in my late forties. I topped out at 430 pounds. I literally spent the first half of my adult life gaining weight. Sure, there were a few times through the years when I lost some weight, but I could have been the poster boy for the rebound effect that is often experienced by most dieters-I gained back all I had lost and added more pounds.

The AFTER photo on the right was taken in my early fifties.

The difference between the two photographs-well, you are holding in your hands what brought about the transformation. I learned a new WAY OF

EATING-a way that was very satisfying, and very effective. And I have kept the excess weight off.

Even more importantly to me-I hear regularly from people who have learned and applied the information in this book and they routinely tell me that they have
• lost weight and kept it off
• recovered from many of the ailments they had as a result of their obesity
• and regained their zest for living!

I love reading their very honest and HAPPY stories!

I Was a Boy Who Loved Food

My favorite thing to do as a boy was to go to Smitty's restaurant in La Porte, Indiana, and order a mouth-watering hamburger, deliciously greasy French fries, and an extra-thick chocolate "frosty malt." At every opportunity I ended up in a booth at Smitty's with one of my friends. I felt a little mesmerized in anticipation of the food to come.

My parents knew about my fixation for this food, of course, and almost every Saturday night after Dad's gig (he had a band) they would awaken me by waving one of Smitty's burgers under my nose. I will remember as long as I live how terrific it was to wake up to that aroma. This act of love endeared me to my mother and father forever.

Then came my downfall. To reward me for having brought home a good report card, my parents asked if there was anything special I would like. Sure-­ take me to Smitty's for "all I could eat."

A tradition started that night. Every time I did something good-such as make the basketball team, not miss any school, get up in the morning without being called a second time-I would ask my parents to take me to Smitty's to "pig out." It was what I wanted, and they consented. Food became a reward for me.
This was the beginning of my addiction to food. Food brought pleasure. And, if a little food brought a little pleasure, then more food brought more pleasure.

I ate like a horse and the only thing that kept my weight somewhat stable was my participation in sports. After I married my wife, Anita, I stopped working out every day and became the proverbial couch potato. Unfortunately, my eating habits did not slow down. I gained weight by the week.

The fact that I was depressed because we were very poor didn't curb my appetite. At my lowest moment, I remember Anita trying to cheer me up with the only thing that seemed to give me pleasure-besides her. She surprised me with two family-size pizzas she had purchased with the last money we had to our names-six valuable silver dollars that had been handed down to her, generation after generation. I cried, and she hugged me and stroked my hair and told me how much she loved me.

I rationalized my food addiction. I only ate when I was happy, sad, satisfied, frustrated, focused, confused, anxious, contented, encouraged, depressed, confident, afraid, or loving. The truth is I never ran out of reasons for eating.
Within two years I had gained one hundred pounds.

I ate almost nonstop, from the time I got home from work until I went to bed. I ate everything you can imagine: hamburgers, hot dogs, tacos, nachos with cheese, French fries, milk shakes, sub sandwiches, fried chicken, fried fish, cheesecake, ice cream, chocolate bars, cashews-name any food that sounds good to the average person and I was a consumer of it!

I also ate throughout my workdays. I remember innumerable business luncheons when I actually told the waitress to serve me two full meals, one right after the other. I don't have to tell you how often my expense account was questioned.

You may not be able to relate to all this ... or maybe you can

Even Embarrassing Moments Didn't Keep Me from Stuffing My Face

Over the years, I paid a painful price for my compulsive overeating. Eating was fun, but being fat was not. I remember going to the "big and tall" clothing store and praying they had something in my size. I had a five-foot waist and a twenty­
two-inch neck, and many times the shop simply didn't have anything in its inventory to fit me. I felt like a freak. When I flew first class and the stewardess had to bring me a seat belt extension, I was so embarrassed that I put my face in a magazine for the whole trip.

Then there were the times we went out to eat and everyone wanted to sit in a booth, but I just couldn't fit. I could see the looks on the faces of the people around us as they snickered and whispered about my weight. I can't begin to tell you how bad I hurt when this happened. But I just couldn't help myself, I still sat down at a table and stuffed my big fat face.

It seems like yesterday that, after I drove a golf cart, everyone in the clubhouse stared at the long black mark on my shirt caused by the steering wheel rubbing against my enormous belly. After I noticed the stares, I sat with my arms crossed over the mark and then sneaked out the back door. I went home feeling totally lost as to what to do about my problem.

I also remember my embarrassment at an amusement park, when everyone watched as I could not lock myself into the roller coaster and had to get up and leave. I went off by myself, unable to hold back the tears.

There was a day when I had to sit on one side of a friend's boat while everyone else sat on the other side. I didn't say a word as I anxiously awaited the end of the ride, and I never accepted an invitation like that again.

At a University of Minnesota wine-tasting party for the benefit of the Williams Scholarship Fund, I won the drawing for "your weight in wine." The master of ceremonies was stunned when he saw how much I weighed, but I was the one who was stunned when he announced to everyone, "The winner weighs 360 pounds!" I wanted to crawl under a table. I know my face turned beet red as I walked to the podium. That was the first time I had heard my weight broadcast to a roomful of people. The obvious now had a number attached to it, but that didn't keep the number from climbing higher.

Even when I least expected it, my weight caused me humiliation. My doctor-Neil Hoffman of Minneapolis, Minnesota-put me in the hospital for three days to give me a thorough physical. The very first evening as I was lying on my bed, I heard a loud, squeaky noise coming down the hall. Closer and closer it came to my room. Finally, the door swung open as two nurses, both soaked in perspiration, wheeled in the hospital freight scale and asked me to please step onto it. I felt like a steer going to market. At that moment, I actually hated myself.
Linda
"And ye shall eat in plenty, and be satisfied, and praise the name of the LORD your God, that hath dealt wondrously with you: and my people shall never be ashamed. Joel 2:26

Taste and see that the Lord is good...
SweetRose7

Re: Roger's Story part 1

Post by SweetRose7 »

This is SweetRose7. I want so much to be back on LDL again! I keep coming back to the website and no one is ever here but me. I do see that there is a new yellow book in the making . Linda RN are you still here? I would love to know when the new book will be coming out. Also, I would love to know that others are still doing LDL. This programme was very successful for me years ago and I really desire to start again. Lets get the boards up and running again with all of the people who used to post and hopefully new ones, too!

SweetRose7 @};-
SweetRose7
Beth B.

Post by Beth B. »

Hi SweetRose7,
It has been over a year since you posted this message, but I am just now seeing it. I, too, would like to start LDL again. Back in the day when the message boards were so busy it was so encouraging and I met so many wonderful people. With Roger and Linda RN getting it ramped up again, I hope more people will jump on board. I was reading some of my journal entries and it brought back a lot of memories.

I hope you see this message SweetRose7 and anyone else who wants to give it a go, Let's do Lunch!

Meanwhile, I'm headed back to my journal to begin a new day!

Beth B.
SweetRose7

Post by SweetRose7 »

Hi Beth B.

I just saw your post. Thanks so much for your reply. :) I see they have a new Facebook up but these boards are what I'm interested in, and everything is old. Do you know anything about the new yellow book? I live in England, but I would pay extra postage to get it when it becomes available. I would first check Amazon.UK where I purchased the red book many years ago. Anyway, if you have any info I would appreciate it. :)

SweetRose7 @};-
SweetRose7
LINDA RN
Master Member

Post by LINDA RN »

So it really is not a new Facebook page.
It is an LDL group page that members can coverse like we have not been able to do on the regular FB page.
Maybe the best way to get the boards up and going again is to post a picture of your LDL meal and provide a link to the recipe on the boards. When I have a chance to do one I will post so I will know how to give instructions on pasting the link in the post.
I am still not getting notifications when someone posts on the message boards so I need to see how I can get a notification on my phone. I get email noifications of messages in my Gmail, but not the LDL email. :-(
Linda
"And ye shall eat in plenty, and be satisfied, and praise the name of the LORD your God, that hath dealt wondrously with you: and my people shall never be ashamed. Joel 2:26

Taste and see that the Lord is good...