Hi Everyone (first post)

If you are new to our boards, please read this first to learn how to register and begin using our boards!
AmyJ

Hi Everyone (first post)

Post by AmyJ »

I just registered after lurking for a long while. I bought the red book a few years ago and really enjoyed reading Mr. Wilson's story. Love the recipes as well.

See ya 'round the message boards :)

-AmyJ
MsHeirloom
Master Member

Re: Hi Everyone (first post)

Post by MsHeirloom »

Welcome, Amy! Glad you've decided to be a part of our message boards. This is a wonderful eating plan and very doable as a life-style. In May I will have been a member for 6 years. This plan has saved my health and possibly my life!
Do not hesitate to ask questions. We are here to help you.
Pam
Last edited by MsHeirloom on March 18th, 2015, 4:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AmyJ

Post by AmyJ »

Pam,
Thanks so much, that is so nice of you.
MsHeirloom
Master Member

Post by MsHeirloom »

Amy- Have you been following the LDL plan? We are always excited to hear from newbies and hear all about their successes on and off the scales!
Pam
AmyJ

Post by AmyJ »

Pam-
No, I haven't started the plan, but have made some of the recipes, which have all been good.

No success...yet
Since November of last year, I have become the full time caregiver to my 89 year old MIL, who is in the later stage of dementia, so it's difficult to do a lot of cooking from scratch. I was making 3 different meals, 3 times a day for her, my husband and myself. It is so tiring to do with getting little sleep and attending to all her other needs, I end up getting carry out, deliveries and convenience foods and am paying the price with my health.

One of the things I wanted to find is a lot of quicker recipes and slow cooker meals for myself and 2 very picky eaters.

I have the LDL book on my bedside table and just re-read it for the 5th or 6th time. The pantry stocked with healthy food and a fridge full of fresh fruit and veg. So I am ready to go. Hopefully I will have some success to report soon :)
LINDA RN
Master Member

Post by LINDA RN »

Welcome AmyJ.
Do read Crickadoodle's posts.
She was able to bring her own mother back from dementia with LDL and a few supplements.
LDL brings many unexpected health benefits besides weight loss.
The more you cook and eat LDL the healthier everyone else will get and the cravings for fast food will subside.
Cook ahead and freeze when you can and when you have to do carry-out make it salads.
Keep us posted on every little success.
Linda
"And ye shall eat in plenty, and be satisfied, and praise the name of the LORD your God, that hath dealt wondrously with you: and my people shall never be ashamed. Joel 2:26

Taste and see that the Lord is good...
MsHeirloom
Master Member

Post by MsHeirloom »

Amy- In addition to what Linda said, I have found the soups to be a very large part of my success. Make large batches of soups and freeze some for "emergencies." The soups are nourishing and satisfying. They can be eaten with meats for your main meal, and without for your other meal. Breakfast can be fruits, a smoothie, or eggs. I love the pumpkin smoothie which can be made ahead in large batches and heated in the morning. Eat plenty of vegetables both raw and cooked. Snack on fruits, vegetables, and popcorn. Once you get "in the groove," cooking is actually simplified. This way of eating is so healthy for everyone. If your husband and MIL don't come around to this way of eating, buy the fast food for them and eat LDL yourself. My guess is that your husband will see how great you are doing and will want to try some of the foods. Crickadoodle did a great job in bringing her mother back to health with tasty and healthy LDL foods. With LDL you will have more energy to take care of yourself and your family. We are here to help you, Amy.
MsHeirloom
Master Member

Post by MsHeirloom »

This is my go to breakfast recipe as the weather cools and cold fruit for breakfast doesn't hold the appeal it does in the heat of the summer. This can be made ahead and lasts for about a week's worth of breakfasts. Fabulous and can be partially frozen for a pumpkin "ice cream" treat!

PAT’S FAVORITE “HOT PUMPKIN SMOOTHIE” for cold weather eating

2-3 cans Cannellini or Great Northern beans, drained and rinsed (I also use Navy Beans, too).
1 can sliced carrots, drained
1 20 oz. can pineapple chunks, undrained
3 cans no sugar added pear halves, undrained
2 cans lite or no sugar added peach slices or halves, undrained
1 15 oz. can 100% pure pumpkin
Stevia to taste (Patsy Faye used Splenda)
1 large Tablespoon Pumpkin Pie Spice

Using the VitaMix or blender, process as many cans of whatever will fit in at one time. I usually put in one can of beans, and two cans of fruit. (Using the large container.) Less than that in the small container. Add spice and Splenda to one of the batches. Purée until very smooth and pour into large plastic container. Mix well with a whisk. Refrigerate. When ready to serve, ladle some into a microwave safe bowl and heat up. Makes 6-7 hearty servings.
AmyJ

Post by AmyJ »

Thanks Linda, I will definitely locate her posts and read them, I pray everyday she will wake up and be the way she was, maybe this is the answer. I love the cook ahead ideas.

Pam,
Soup is a great idea for me. I really enjoyed the LDL soups I have made: bean, taco, pizza, chicken corn chowder, and chili.

That smoothie sounds great and I know my MIL will love it too. I can get away with a fruit smoothie and an egg dish for her, so that will help a lot.

You are both so kind to help me. All great ideas... Thanks!! :)
Allie58

Post by Allie58 »

I am new to LDL. I love it. I was wondering if anyone was still posting. I seldom see any dates from the posts.
God is faithful!
LINDA RN
Master Member

Post by LINDA RN »

Welcome Allie. Roger has removed the dates from the post. He felt older posts were not being read because of the dates on them. Some recently have been putting a date on the top of their posts to help in their own efforts to stay on track. Not many are posting right now. Many of us have "fallen off the train" but are struggling to get back on track. A new member with new insights and inspiration might help us all.
Linda
"And ye shall eat in plenty, and be satisfied, and praise the name of the LORD your God, that hath dealt wondrously with you: and my people shall never be ashamed. Joel 2:26

Allie58

Post by Allie58 »

I am so excited. LOL has been amazing for my husband and I. I'm getting on the wagon and need support!!
God is faithful!
LINDA RN
Master Member

Post by LINDA RN »

You can start your own members journal and tell us about yourself and how you are fitting LDL into your own lifestyle.
Linda

MsHeirloom
Master Member

Post by MsHeirloom »

3-23-18

Congratulations, Allie, on making the decision to change your health. LDL is such a wonderful way to eat healthy and enjoy all the benefits of great-tasting, health-promoting nutrition. I am saddened how slow these boards have become, but there is so much great advice already written, and a few of us still here to help you with any questions or challenges you may have.

We look forward to following your journey!
Last edited by MsHeirloom on March 23rd, 2018, 10:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
MsHeirloom
Master Member

Post by MsHeirloom »

Congratulations, Allie, on making the decision to change your health. LDL is such a wonderful way to eat healthy and enjoy all the benefits of great-tasting, health-promoting nutrition. I am saddened how slow these boards have become, but there is so much great advice already written, and a few of us still here to help you with any questions or challenges you may have.

We look forward to following your journey!
omalani
Master Member

Post by omalani »

MsHeirloom wrote:Amy- In addition to what Linda said, I have found the soups to be a very large part of my success. Make large batches of soups and freeze some for "emergencies." The soups are nourishing and satisfying. They can be eaten with meats for your main meal, and without for your other meal. Breakfast can be fruits, a smoothie, or eggs. I love the pumpkin smoothie which can be made ahead in large batches and heated in the morning. Eat plenty of vegetables both raw and cooked. Snack on fruits, vegetables, and popcorn. Once you get "in the groove," cooking is actually simplified. This way of eating is so healthy for everyone. If your husband and MIL don't come around to this way of eating, buy the fast food for them and eat LDL yourself. My guess is that your husband will see how great you are doing and will want to try some of the foods. Crickadoodle did a great job in bringing her mother back to health with tasty and healthy LDL foods. With LDL you will have more energy to take care of yourself and your family. We are here to help you, Amy.
Want to save this on my site, I hope this works
Aloha,
Leilani

I know what I'm doing, says the Lord.
I have it all planned out - plans to take care of you, not abandon you, plans to give you the future you hope for.
Jeremiah 29:11

omalani
Master Member

Post by omalani »

7/25/18
I have been off the boards for a long time, my computer crashed. I have been so busy with my family and traveling. My 4 great grands live in Des Moines and I love watching them grow. Mylah will be 7 in September and is a wonderful artistic child with a great imagination. The 3 babies are 18mo,19mo and 2 yrs. They are so cute and I love hearing them laugh and squeal with delight. I am hanging in there with a 45 to 50 lb. loss but still have 50 more to lose. I find myself craving sweets a lot!! Sugar has been creeping back into my diet. I have been having some heart problems this year and am coming to grip with my mortality. This is a wonderful eating plan!! Life is good :D
Aloha,
Leilani

I have it all planned out - plans to take care of you, not abandon you, plans to give you the future you hope for.

omalani
Master Member

Post by omalani »

7/26/18
I don't have to force myself to eat fruit but to cut down the portions. I could eat 1/4 of a watermelon at one setting.
My menu today:
B. Cottage cheese with diced tomato and lemon pepper. Bowl of cherries
L. Taco salad with black beans and corn, a hand full of tortilla chips crushed into small pieces,
straw berries and 3 large pieces of cantaloupe, 4 small veggie burger meatballs
D. Tomato soup and salad

I actually went to the bank and had no candy from the candy bowl! I haven't been snacking in between or eating after 7 pm (one day in a row). When I went to the ER and they asked me all the standard questions. "Do you ever have thoughts of harming your self" I thought, yes when I'm out in the kitchen or go to a buffet. I willfully eat things that are not good for me."

Life is good and I am eating the things I like, but no sugar or bread.
Aloha,
Leilani