June 5, 2017 New user

If you are new to our boards, please read this first to learn how to register and begin using our boards!
LisaJ
New, but learning

June 5, 2017 New user

Post by LisaJ »

Hi, I am new to LDL. I saw the book when I was shopping for new Kindle Ebola on Amazon and I decided to take a look at the plan. I went to the website and found this message board. I read through many of the posts made by previous participants and I got excited. I think this may be the plan for me. I bought the book, read through it a couple of times, and yesterday I did a little food shopping. I started last night. I know most people usually start new diets on Monday morning, but I don't care about that. I think "right now" is always the best time to start making positive changes. So I started "right now" at dinner time B-)

Reading through the posts here, I figured out that many members have moved on quite some time ago. I like to believe that they met their health goals and are too busy living healthy and active lives to be online. I also noticed that it is not very easy to figure out how old some posts are. So I decided to put a date on mine. It is possible that no one will answer my posts and that's ok. My plan is to keep coming back and documenting my journey. It will help me, and maybe it will help someone else later on. Right now, I need to lose 60 pounds but I will determine exactly what my goal weight is when I get closer.
I have to get back to work now but I will check in later to do a better job of introducing myself and write about how my day went.
Bye for now!
Lisa J
"Optimist: Someone who figured out that taking a step backward after taking a step forward isn't a disaster, it's more like a cha-cha."
omalani
Master Member

Re: June 5, 2017 New user

Post by omalani »

6/8/17
Welcome to this wonderful way of eating Lisa. I recently made big changes in my life to live closer to my children. I am more active now and enjoying my great grandchildren. I am introducing them to this W.O.E. My mantra is Life is good, as God said it in Genesis chapter 1. I find things improving daily. Summer is a good time to start as there are so many fresh fruits and veggies. I have been so busy that I haven't been journaling as much. I need to get some fresh fruits to take along to the YMCA today because the time has gone so quickly. Life is good even in the fast lanes!
Aloha,
Leilani

I know what I'm doing, says the Lord.
I have it all planned out - plans to take care of you, not abandon you, plans to give you the future you hope for.
Jeremiah 29:11

LisaJ
New, but learning

Post by LisaJ »

June 8, 2017

Omalani,

Thank you for the warm welcome. I have read many of your posts and I can see that you are a busy woman! So far, I have had no trouble sticking to this plan. I love not having to count calories or measure portions as long as I stay within the guidelines on choices. I have no doubt that this way of eating will lead to improved health, not just weight loss.

Lisa J
"Optimist: Someone who figured out that taking a step backward after taking a step forward isn't a disaster, it's more like a cha-cha."
omalani
Master Member

Post by omalani »

6/8/17
You have inspired me to get back to strict LDL. I will have more opportunities now. I have only been here 2 months and I will be flying to Alaska on the 18th. We are having a family reunion. My daughter Gina is in the US Public Health Corp in Anchorage and works at a Native Alaskan hospital. I retired from the Lawton Indian Hosp, where we worked together for a short time. I miss nursing sometimes. I was an RN at age 20. Life goes on.
Aloha,
Leilani

I have it all planned out - plans to take care of you, not abandon you, plans to give you the future you hope for.

LINDA RN
Master Member

Post by LINDA RN »

6/11/17
Welcome Lisa, good to have you.
Many have found that this WOE (way of eating) will stabilized your weight where it needs to be. It is a very healthy lifestyle. When my husband decided to go off plan, I kinda lost my motivation. He is slowly becoming disgusted with the weight he has gained so is more willing to cut back on the junk food. My job was very stressful until just recently so it is now a little better controlling the desire to snack. Thanks for the inspiration.
Linda
"And ye shall eat in plenty, and be satisfied, and praise the name of the LORD your God, that hath dealt wondrously with you: and my people shall never be ashamed. Joel 2:26

Taste and see that the Lord is good...
LisaJ
New, but learning

Post by LisaJ »

June 12, 2017
Hi Linda,

It's nice to meet you! I'm glad to hear you are experiencing less stress in your life and that you (and maybe your husband too) are getting ready to focus on healthy eating.

I understand your stress, I am an ER nurse and I am also in school full time. It takes a lot of effort for me to take the time to focus on my diet. My usual habit is to eat nothing all day because I'm not hungry in the morning and I'm too busy in the afternoon. I end up being so hungry in the evening that I would eat the front door on my way in if it had ketchup on it! :-ss

I am working hard to change that old habit. I am not hungry in the morning but I try to eat something, if only a banana, and I don't skip lunch anymore. It has been easier to avoid eating things that I shouldn't because I don't let myself get so hungry. Good luck!

Lisa J
omalani
Master Member

Post by omalani »

I usually like to eat fruit instead of making a smoothie because the solid foods satisfies me more than drinking my breakfast. Yesterday I took time to make the smoothie, drank 1/2 and froze the other 1/2. Now I have something to eat at night - a fruit sorbet! fe is so busy that it makes taking time for me difficult. I think I will make a pot of beans today and get over this bread craving. Lord give me spiritual bread today. Life is good today.
Aloha,
Leilani

LisaJ
New, but learning

Post by LisaJ »

June 18, 2017

What a great idea for your fruit smoothie! I love fruit and veggie smoothies, especially in the summer time. I fill my icecube trays with pumpkin or pineapple- whatever I want for my smoothies- that way I can get them really icy without so much water. I like to use vegetable juice for the base too. Sometimes I will use storebought but I have a juicer to make my own. It is a mess to use though.
LINDA RN
Master Member

Post by LINDA RN »

I always froze ripe bananas then use frozen fruit and no ice cubes. Just need a little juice or yogut to get it going. Usually ate them frozen like ice cream rather than as a drink
Linda
"And ye shall eat in plenty, and be satisfied, and praise the name of the LORD your God, that hath dealt wondrously with you: and my people shall never be ashamed. Joel 2:26

Taste and see that the Lord is good...
crickadoodle
Master Member

Post by crickadoodle »

Welcome, Lisa. I found Let's Do Lunch the summer of 2009. I had just stopped teaching after 24 years to take care of my mom who had developed dementia. At the time I was just taking 1 year off, but here it is 2017 and I'm still caring for my mom and now my 3 yr old grandson who was born on her 88th birthday. I was under great stress that last year of teaching and my weight was at the highest ever. Stress in itself affects your body and promotes obesity. It also gets everything out of whack -- emotions, physical health, decision making ability (especially food choices).

Anyway, I knew that I needed a way of eating I could live with. I prayed for a livet instead of a diet. I wanted something I could live with and not feel deprived. I lost 50 lbs in about 6 months and got down to my high school weight. Now, I was 50 at the time, and that just never happened from my prior to LDL experience. Also, the weight came off evenly and looked great. My skin looked great and I had energy. It was a pleasant experience and I was not hungry, because Roger figured out that sometimes you crave sweet and sometimes you crave starchy and you can have both on LDL.

Now, real life and situations got me off plan some and I did gain some back, but never all. It took a long time too. I have never had that appetite again that is not satisfied. Even though I did gain some back, LDL cured me of that. I don't eat lots of sweets and breads for the most part and truly like eating the LDL way most of all. Sometimes I just gave in when people pushed cake or something I wouldn't normally eat, because I wouldn't want to offend. Then that makes it easier to do so the next time, though, and you can start bad habits. I've redoubled my efforts to make sure I have good bean soup on hand every week. The weight is coming off -- not as fast as before, but I don't do my daily hour walk anymore. I do exercise with weights. I'm looking to lose 10 more lbs about. I've been having some plantar faciitis problems, so I decided the long walks aren't such a good idea for me.
crickadoodle
Master Member

Post by crickadoodle »

Btw, I was reading old posts yesterday and it reminded me how beneficial these boards were to me in my weight loss journey. The boards were very active and it was very special to be a part of that time here. Some very precious ldlers have passed away from that time period. Gwennaford and Joyful Friend were two that I know about. Both contributed so much. I'm sure there are more I don't know about.

Anyway, I will try to be better about checking in and offering you and others encouragement and any help I can give. It was so fun to have people to share my victories and struggles with. God bless your efforts!!
omalani
Master Member

Post by omalani »

9/3/17
Good to have you back Crick. I felt so lonely on the boards, but am getting back to it. I think I will start again with the menus. Thanks to all for reminding me of the delicious recipes. My gumbo soup is like knock your socks off soup with okra.lol I also add whatever veggie I have. Love this WOE. Life is good.
Aloha,
Leilani