how often do you weigh?

Feel free to talk about anything and everything re Let’s Do Lunch™.
51_too_young_to_be_old

how often do you weigh?

Post by 51_too_young_to_be_old »

I can get nuts with a scale I mean truly over the edge crazy, specially if I am staying on program. I  expect too much.

so I had my husband hide my scale and I figured I would weigh on the 15th and 30th of each month so I will always see good losses.  I also take measurements and pictures those days. Well that is the plan from yesterday anyhow :)

so how often do you weigh?
{o,o}
|)__)
-"--"-

12/01/2010 - 319
04/09/2011 - 311
04/16/2011 - 306
4/23/2011 - 303
no scale.....
witheraway1
Master Member

Re: how often do you weigh?

Post by witheraway1 »

I weigh everyday.........It helps me to tract myself and find out what tends to make the scale go up or down........Of course if this is going to depress you, you shouldn't do it . I know they say to weigh once a month........I can't wait that long .........I have to know and if the results aren't good it does not bother me at all. There are some LDL foods that stall my weight loss if I eat them......I would have never known had not for weighting everyday. So it's your choice. We are all different....my husband can eat all LDL foods no problem.He weighs every Friday.
51_too_young_to_be_old

It does not so much depress me as make me anxious. It also makes me question and analyze my every move if I do not lose.

Mine is excited about beans, he loves beans, all kinds of beans.  We will go shopping Thursday and stock up.
{o,o}
|)__)
-"--"-

12/01/2010 - 319
04/09/2011 - 311
04/16/2011 - 306
4/23/2011 - 303
no scale.....
wendysgoodnews
Master Member

Post by wendysgoodnews »

When I first began my husband also hid the scales for the first month.  After that I have weighed everyday but I am not bothered if I am up since I figure it is just water gain. 
Did you  measure before you began?  It is best to go by that not a number on the scales.
RB Kayaking
Master Member

Post by RB Kayaking »

I've been doing LDL for more than a year now.  I weighed and had a photo taken of me when I started.  I have not stepped on my scale since.  It's under the bed somewhere where the dust bunnies play.  That said I have been to the doctor but I didn't look when I was being weighed.

I have the next size down pair of shorts and a pair of almost fit shorts that I try on daily.  It is a thrill when the next size down slips over my butt.  The almost fits I'm usually working on the muffin top disappearing before I wear them out in public.

I just did a closet sweep and I have no 12's left period.  I had two dresses that I made and loved--but look terrible in now so they are in the box with the 12's as well.  Also two suit jackets that I made.  OMG, I just made them last year and they are sooo big on me.

I have a walk in closet with almost no clothes!  I have three size 10 pants that fit and three that don't.  I'm thinking by December when it might just be cool enough to wear slacks that none of them will be small enough.  (I live in central Florida.)

I have three pair of size 10 shorts that fit and three that don't.  I have an adorable pair of 8's that I can button--but muffin top keeps them in the chair for daily try on's.

I don't even want to discuss how many tops have gone by by.  Even my incentive outfit has gone by by.  Need to purchase another cute outfit--but what size?

When I put my mind to eating LDL and only LDL the inches just fall away.  I don't ask why.  I just go with the eating plan.  It works, its easy to follow and I can do it.

Long way of answering your question.  I don't weigh myself.  I just try on clothes.

RB Kayaking
witheraway1
Master Member

Post by witheraway1 »

My beans are cooking right now............It does help to like beans, my husband feels the same way about beans, he could eat them everyday and sometimes does..I love them but get tired of them sometimes...Wither
51_too_young_to_be_old

I did measure :) I was truly so excited after reading the book I measured (way worse than I expected) and took pictures front side and back. I got my web page up and running, a blog page on my computer and I am ready to succeed. I love all the foods and can eat this way for life.

don't get me wrong I have always claimed to be a processed carb junkie, but to live, I can give them up.
{o,o}
|)__)
-"--"-

12/01/2010 - 319
04/09/2011 - 311
04/16/2011 - 306
4/23/2011 - 303
no scale.....
51_too_young_to_be_old

RP!  :rose: I stand in awe that is wonderful! :thumbsup:  I cannot wait to see my cloths bag :) 

now you have me thinking... I go to the doctor every three months anyhow, I could just WI there. Then it would be OHHHH yeah

must think on this LOL  :D
{o,o}
|)__)
-"--"-

12/01/2010 - 319
04/09/2011 - 311
04/16/2011 - 306
4/23/2011 - 303
no scale.....
witheraway1
Master Member

Post by witheraway1 »

RB KAYAKING.............Does that muffin top ever go away? Seems like at no matter what weight I have one. I would like to get rid of that....Has anyone else got rid of theirs?  I WOULD LOVE TO SEE THAT GONE FOREVER............WITHER
Kathie

Post by Kathie »

Hi.. I weigh every day.. I have Cardiomyopothy and CHF... so the Dr suggests I weigh every day. If I am up 3 to 5 pounds I have to call Dr.  I know I fluctuate but I always take Monday as the rule weight so far that has been working for me.
Hugs! Kathie in Fl.
[
CodingQueen
Master Member

Post by CodingQueen »

OK, before you people condemned me to the nearest psych ward at least hear me out... ;)

You should only weigh yourself once a month (every 28 days). Believe it or not, the moon's phases actually affect our weight. You have to remember that our bodies are made up primarily of water and, like the tides, the moon does affect us as well. So, in order to get a true picture of how much weight you've actually lost, you need to weigh every 28 days.

CQ
LINDA RN
Master Member

Post by LINDA RN »

Which pase of the moon will give you the lowest weight??? Surely not the full moon!
Linda
"And ye shall eat in plenty, and be satisfied, and praise the name of the LORD your God, that hath dealt wondrously with you: and my people shall never be ashamed. Joel 2:26

Taste and see that the Lord is good...
JEM

Post by JEM »

51, I never weigh myself or step on a scale, unless it's at a doctor's office.  Even at my skinniest, years ago, size 4, the numbers would read 130 - 135 and that's just not possible with size 4. Back then I went to the gym 4x/wk and did cardio and much strength training, not to mention I am naturally big boned, so as you can see, when I would see the "wrong" numbers on  the scale I would be devastated and think I'm wasting my time at the gym, etc. and sabotage my diet/exercise routine.  So I stopped believing in the scale.   4 sizes larger later, I'm still not sold on the scale.  I refuse to  let the numbers affect me anymore, as I know it will sub-consciously depress me and make me get off my new eating or exercise plan. I now just go by the way my clothes fit me.
Never let 'em see you sweat!
CodingQueen
Master Member

Post by CodingQueen »

LINDA RN,

That will be your assignment.. :laughing:

CQ
CodingQueen
Master Member

Post by CodingQueen »

JEM,

Most doctors' offices adjust the weights on their scales to read higher....usually about five pounds or so.

Also, remember, muscle tissue weighs more than fat...my youngest son went to the doctor a few years ago and the doctor automatically decided that he needed to go on diet before he even entered the room...he was looking at his weight. When he saw him he couldn't believe the nurse wrote down the correct number so he weighed him again....he has the six-pack abs going on...is almost six feet and has a 29 inch waist....he's solid as rock....that's probably why you able to fit into those size 4 jeans even though you weighed more than you thought you should.

CQ
LINDA RN
Master Member

Post by LINDA RN »

LINDA RN,
That will be your assignment..
CQ

Dang, CQ I wasn't ready to go back to school and have assignments! You sound like a Prof.
You sure you are not moonlighting? :D

And doctors adjusting scales??? Most can't even use the computer let alone mess with digital scales, LOL
I know for sure ours (all digital) have not been adjusted anyway, LOL, and we always zero them out before getting patients on them.

When I weigh it is not because I have some magic number in mind, I just mostly want to seen if I gained but more important how much I am loosing.
Last edited by LINDA RN on July 27th, 2010, 6:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Linda
"And ye shall eat in plenty, and be satisfied, and praise the name of the LORD your God, that hath dealt wondrously with you: and my people shall never be ashamed. Joel 2:26

Taste and see that the Lord is good...
CodingQueen
Master Member

Post by CodingQueen »

No, I'm not moonlighting... :laughing: Who has the time for that? I just don't have a clue as to when we weigh the least...I really wasn't paying that close attention...it was during one of my son's school field trips to MOSI (Museum of Science and Industry) in Tampa.

I hear you...most of the docs act like the computer is going to explode if they touch it...much less use it. But, I do know that some of the offices adjust their scales....and some of the hospitals as well.

CQ
JEM

Post by JEM »

CQ, that is exactly what I came to realize so many years ago, that muscle weigh more than fat, so I decided no more scales for me. 
Never let 'em see you sweat!
CodingQueen
Master Member

Post by CodingQueen »

JEM,

There's nothing wrong with using a scale as a tool to see how much you have lost as long as you remember that you're probably not going to fit within the guidelines for your height and bone structure.

CQ
crickadoodle
Master Member

Post by crickadoodle »

CQ -- I don't usually disagree with you, but this time I do.  :D  I think that when you weigh yourself should be determined by many factors and people need to decide for themselves what is best for them.  Personally, I think weighing daily keeps me honest.  I can easily get deluded into thinking that since I reached my goal, I will just stay slim no matter what I eat.  I have something in me that might not want to get on the scale, because I don't really want to know what I weigh. 

I've read several things about weighing.  One thing I read is that people who weigh daily seem to get to their goals quicker and they maintain better.  The other day I read that weighing twice a week is best -- once on Monday and once on Friday.  On Monday helps you start the week off right and might keep you doing right over the weekend, because you know you are going to weigh on Monday morning.  Then on Friday, because it might also help you enter the weekend with some encouragement that keeps you eating better.  Roger feels that once a month is best, because some people get discouraged if they don't see the number moving.  In my case, the number kept moving down, down, down -- and I'd have missed out on all that encouragement from my scale.  It was so much fun seeing the progress.

Oh, and the moon thing is that you weigh less when the moon is directly overhead.  It is minimal, though, so not such an important consideration.

51 -- I want to welcome you to Let's Do Lunch.  I am 51 also, and before I was on LDL I was feeling so old.  I now feel like I'm in my twenties or thirties.  Seriously!  I feel better than I can remember feeling.  I no longer have aches and pains like I was having.  Eating the LDL way is so healthy and will give you results beyond what you are thinking right now.  It is nothing short of amazing.  At least that has been my experience.  Now I'm building strength with some free weights.  I am stronger than I've ever been and getting nice, toned muscles.  This really is a first for me.  It is true about muscle weighing more than fat -- it is 5 times as dense.  That is really telling, when you think that a pound of muscle is 5 times smaller than a pound of fat.  I always tell my classes to imagine a pound of feathers and a pound of lead.  The feathers take up lots more space than the lead.  You are bigger in size when you have more fat.  Don't go totally by the scale of course, but it is a good tool of measurement.  I started as a size 14 (but probably a 16 in denial!)  and now all my clothes are 4s and 6s -- except for my favorite pair of jeans that is an 8.  I'm just not giving them up because I like them so much!  I have long legs and they are long enough.  For some reason, they fit nicely when freshly washed and dried.