Coumadin(Warfarin) - Blood Thinners-Vitamin K-& LDL

The place to go if you have a question that needs answered!
Mary E

Coumadin(Warfarin) - Blood Thinners-Vitamin K-& LDL

Post by Mary E »

Hi! I'm Mary E and I'm new.  My friend tried the program and it's working for her.  She bought xtra copies of the book to share.  I recently had a blood clot lodge in my lung.  I'm now on coumadin and can't eat most leafy green stuff.  Anyone else have experience with keeping vitamin k levels consistent while on LDL?
TNangela

Re: Coumadin(Warfarin) - Blood Thinners-Vitamin K-& LDL

Post by TNangela »

Hi Mary E...welcome to LDL...I know you are going to love it!!! I wish you the best of luck...I dont have any experience with vitamin k levels but I will pray for you and hopefully someone can help you better!
ANG
niki

Post by niki »

hi mary......you CAN eat leafy green vegetables...and you can confirm with your doctor what i'm going to tell you....your pt/inr is influenced by vitamin k foods because of vitamin k's involvement in the clotting process in your body......as long as you eat a certain amount of vitamin k rich foods every day without fluctuating,you'll be fine.....you don't want to eat 2 salads one day and none the next......you would want to eat a salad a day most days...as long as you eat around the same amount of vitamin k rich foods,you'll be fine....they'll take that into consideration with your dosing and there's nothing bad about that for you.....but PLEASE confirm this with your doctor........
    AND, welcome to our boards..........niki   
Mary E

Post by Mary E »

Thank you.  They're just starting to work with me.  Guess we'll take it one blood test at a time, huh?
Queenie
Administrator

Post by Queenie »

Mary E wrote:Hi! I'm Mary E and I'm new.  My friend tried the program and it's working for her.  She bought xtra copies of the book to share.  I recently had a blood clot lodge in my lung.  I'm now on coumadin and can't eat most leafy green stuff.  Anyone else have experience with keeping vitamin k levels consistent while on LDL?

Mary, Mary, Mary!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'M MARY'S FRIEND!!!!!  I'm SO glad to see you here!!! 

There are a number of nurses here and they know a lot - but yes, talk to the doc (IF you can get him on the phone!!) first.  I want you to succeed my friend, but most of all I want you SAFE.  I don't want to come that close to losing you again...

Love,
Carolyn
My Weight Loss ProgressImage

John's Weight Loss ProgressImage

[b][i]"The journey of a thousand miles begins with the first step."
DEBBIEWEBE

Post by DEBBIEWEBE »

Welcome Mary, Youve come to the right place!!!! Now pull up  chair and get cozy cause we are all friendly here and we like to talk about Lets Do Lunch!!!!  We are happy to help with any questions you might have and we will be your biggest cheerleaders!!!!!  Its time to relax  no stress cause this is gonna be as easy as falling off a log!!!!
If you like to eat you have finally found a place where eating is the thing we do best!!!!
Best of luck on your new life journey and welcome to the Family.
GOd bless
Debbie
rollingpat
New, but learning

Post by rollingpat »

Hi Mary,
I've been on Coumadin for about 4 months now...have been doing LDL about 1 month, my levels are still going up and down just as they were before LDL.  I have a weekly blood test and it seems like I'm finally getting to  between 2-3 level they want me at.  Hopefully it will be at least 2 weeks to a month for blood draws as my arms are starting to look like pincushions!! 
Make sure you talk to your Dr. or the nurse who set you up for the test results to get their opinion.  They don't seem to mind that we're eating healthy, so don't be surprised when they say you go girl!!
Best of luck to you..
God bless,
Pat
Mary E

Post by Mary E »

Thank you, Pat.  Since my first visit to the Coumadin Clinic was yesterday, I figured I could try LDL and see what happens.  My INR had dropped to 2.01, and I REALLY REALLY don't want to have to do any more injections.  The counselor said even though fruit doesn't generally contain high levels of Vitamin K, there's another chemical the med responds to in the fruit.  Worst case scenario, cut back a little on the fruit.  I know several individuals who both want and need LDL.  I'm already recommending it to friends!
Have a blessed day.
Mary E
Queenie
Administrator

Post by Queenie »

Mary E wrote:I know several individuals who both want and need LDL.  I'm already recommending it to friends!
Have a blessed day.
Mary E

Mary - that reminds me of an old commercial - I don't even remember what it was for - "you tell two friends, and they tell two friends, and they tell two friends...."  Maybe one of our local trivia buffs remember...

Carolyn

nyKath

Post by nyKath »

Hey Carolyn...a net search shows this was a line from an old Jhirmack shampoo ad..which I remember! Don't know the era, but probablyl in the 70s sometime?? Ugh...date myself by remembering ads, products, etc. like this! :) Just keeping you informed. Bye! ....NYKath
Queenie
Administrator

Post by Queenie »

Thanks, Kathy!

We must be about the same age, because I remember it too!!

Carolyn

robnveronica
Master Member

Post by robnveronica »

Carolyn and Kathy I seem to remember that commercial as being a PRELL commercial?? What do you think? I remember many commercials and TV shows from the 70's cause I was just a kid, but I was a walking TV guide back then from 7am to 8am and from 230pm to 8 pm (BEDTIME set by MOM unless I wanted to Rub her back! :P)
Queenie
Administrator

Post by Queenie »

You may be right - I really don't know - all I remember is that line...

Let's see - the 70's............  definitely a flower child/hippie... Long straight hair parted down the middle, my guitar never far... long haired boyfriends.  Must've driven my parents crazy!  I spent the early part of my teens in Colorado.  During that time that "Rocky Mountain High" became a hit.  I remember we used to sing it a lot.

And by comparison, I am so dull now - which is not to lead you down the path that I am a dull person!!!!  All my teenage vises have been given up (well, except that long-haired boyfriend!!) - My guitar is still never far either.  Gee, maybe all I really gave up were those BAD vices!!  haha - sometimes I even crack myself up!

Carolyn

niki

Post by niki »

where is tom casola when we need him?...our trivia king.....HE'LL settle this...i'm going to ask my brother about that commercial(he might know too)....i'm inclined to think it WAS a prell commercial only because prell was a popular shampoo back then.......i don't remember.....although i WASN'T doing acid in the 70s,i often ACT like i did.........niki
Last edited by niki on October 20th, 2006, 8:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
nyKath

Post by nyKath »

I don't know for sure, Niki, but when I Googled Carolyn's phrase + commercials, it's the Jhirmack shampoo ad that came up several times. Maybe it was used for something else, too, maybe even something more recently, but that's what I found. And I do remember using those products, too. Who knows..... :) NYKath
Ms Dee
New, but learning

Post by Ms Dee »

Hello Mary....welcome to LDL...I'm also new about a week ago....and I am also on Coumadin so was very interested in what was said in the message board....I've been trying everyday to stick to this new way of eating ....I had one bad day cause I was put in the hospital this week...came home and got right back on it....oh by the way my INR level was 2.71 ....before this new way of eating my levels went up and down for the past 6 months....hopefully they will get me off by next month....if you keep consistent  eating of green veggies with vitamin K you will be ok...have a great day....a great week....take one day at a time....huggsssssss Dee