New Member Introduction

Get innovations here.
Bamboo
New, but learning

New Member Introduction

Post by Bamboo »

Just wanted to say hello to everyone here, and a special thanks to Ms.Heirloom; who introduced me to LDL.
Im a 62 year old woman in California, grandmother of 2 with #3 on the way, and I have a wide variety of interests. Currently I am exploring and learning a new camera, and finding digital photography to be a wonderful way to document how I see the world.

LDL looks like a wonderful, supportive community, and I look forward to getting to know folks here. I started my day this morning with a banana/blackberry take on the hot blueberry pie breakfast idea. Delicious !!!

Greetings to you all;

Bamboo (Stephanie)
omalani
Master Member

Re: New Member Introduction

Post by omalani »

Welcome to the boards, :ymhug: I wondered what I would eat for breakfast when I had to give up cereal and toast, but my smoothies, banana pancakes, and hot fruit pie in the morning are like getting up to start the day with dessert. :D It really gets me going in the morning. With beans in my smoothies, it holds me till lunch time too. I also love the soups especially this winter. I started in Oct., mainly going to the boards for recipes that Linda RN suggested. Summer will be salad time I'm sure. I traded veggie sticks and dip for chips and dip. I also find I am using less salt too. Go to my Diabetes type 2 thread, my physical health has improved so much!! :ymparty: I went to a lunch presentation about diabetes and your mood and learned that your sugar level fluctuation greatly affect your mood. Venting on the boards has given me an outlet to find alternative to my emotions beside "comfort food" I hardly watch the food network any more. In fact i watch less TV and the mindless eating in front of the boob tube is dwindling and now it is LDL foods. They should call it the belly tube because that's what increases when you watch it, otherwise breast implants would be a thing of the past. =))
I have 10 grand kids and 1 great grand. What part of Calif. do you live in? I grew up in Southern Cal. I was born in the deep south, the Hawiian Islands being the most southern state, so these southerners have nothing on me. Have fun while your weight dwindles and enjoy the journey.
Aloha,
Leilani

I know what I'm doing, says the Lord.
I have it all planned out - plans to take care of you, not abandon you, plans to give you the future you hope for.
Jeremiah 29:11

MsHeirloom
Master Member

Post by MsHeirloom »

Bamboo- I am thrilled that you have taken this step to regain control of your eating and your health. We are here to help you achieve your weight goal. You are doing so well in such a short time and will soon find this way of eating to be second nature. You go girl!!!!!
Pam
Bamboo
New, but learning

Post by Bamboo »

Omalani wrote:

I went to a lunch presentation about diabetes and your mood and learned that your sugar level fluctuation greatly affect your mood.

Oma , ( by the way, I am Oma too as this is both the german and dutch word for Grandmother-- by heritage I am German, Dutch and British--- my granddaughter Nicole has always called me Oma, from the time she was just a wee thing-- she will be 8 in May),

ANYWAY,

You touched upon a subject that is quite near and dear to my heart; and I would love to hear more, or read more about what you found about sugar levels and mood fluctuations. I remember that mid 70's, William Duffy's "Sugar Blues" was published. It was the first hugely commercial successful book that revealed the toxic nature of sugar on the body, and within the book he cited 1957 work by Dr. William Coda which defined sugar as a poison, and commented specifically on it's affects on the brain.

I pretty much ignore most of this information for the majority of my life; although intuitively I believed it to be true.
Then in 2009 I suffered a pretty severe head injury which turned my world upside down in terms of brain chemistry.
What I happily ignored for so many years, I NOW found to be something that demanded my attention. It took me nearly a year to figure out that when I ate sugar on a continual basis; I also became depressed. But sugar was sneaky...I thought it was only the refined sugars that was having this effect on me. The minute I cut out candy, cookies and such...the depression lessened. I gave up sugar completely for a year, and noticed a dramatic change in my generalized mood.

What I didn't give up for the longest time, was refined starchy carbs; breads and such. When I did THAT, I began to loose weight, and it seemed that I could maintain a fairly even mood base. But I didnt make the link between refined starchy carbs to anything other than weight loss.

To this day, I still crave refined starchy carbs. Just before starting LDL, I had been on an on again/ off again carb binge, that was not only causing me to gain weight, but leaving me depressed as well. My wonderful friend Ms. Heirloom mentioned LDL again to me and just when I thought all hope might be lost, I checked out the website and here I am.

I was simply astounded at the creativity in the recipe boards; I was impressed with the fact that the site is open for use, and I am gratified that RT has shared his story and what he has learned, here , with us, in such a compassionate and enthusiastic way.

A lot of things are different for me since my traumatic brain injury. I have no sense of smell, and my sense of taste as been dramatically altered. While this sometimes vexes me; there is also great liberation in it: I don't wrinkle up my nose at the thought of beans in a smoothie; because I have no preconceived notions of how it will taste to me NOW, as opposed to how it might have tasted to me "then". This means I am open to everything.

And as I told Ms. Heirloom; if this way of eating manages to make lima beans something that becomes a regular part of my diet, then it truly will be a miracle!! I have hated them since I was a child -- but there are two cans of "butter beans" sitting on my shelf right now, and plans this weekend to make at least two different dishes with them !

Have a wonderful day; each and every one !

Stephanie :x
MsHeirloom
Master Member

Post by MsHeirloom »

Steph- You are well on your way to becoming a LDL success story. I am so happy for you and pleased with your decision to do LDL! You are making the emotional as well as physical changes that will serve you well. Thanks for sharing your experiences with others here on the boards. We look forward to many more posts and updates on your successes- yes plural successes because not all LDL positives are measured at the scale!
Is the book helping this all come together for you?
Friends- Pam
Joyful Friend
Master Member

Post by Joyful Friend »

Welcome to the boards. I'm looking forward to your good health journey. Pam is a great support active friend. She encourages an helps all of us. :ymhug: jf.
Bamboo
New, but learning

Post by Bamboo »

Thank you for the warm welcome, Joyful! I look forward to learning this way of eating, and dropping some preconceived notions about beans and weight loss!! lol....

Pam,
When I start a book; I start at the title page, lol.... I am in the middle of RT's story just now, and am finding it quite inspiring. I know that there are more "mechanics" ahead -- I expect that I will be through the book by the end of the weekend; and between the book and the good folks on the boards, I hope to have a better understanding of what I am doing. At it's heart, this seems to be pretty simple.

And Oma... this is my third day on LDL -- and I can tell you that my mood is generally positive. Now that may be "new program enthusiasm" talking; but I will take a positive outlook any way I can! it sure beats the alternative !

All:
Today at work ( just a little while ago) I stood in front of the Evil Vending Machine whilst making coffee for The Boss.
I have never eaten anything from the vending machine/ and while I was waiting for the coffee to brew, I looked at each and every item behind the glass, and said "Poison"

There were 21 kinds of poison in the vending machine. I walked away happy that they remained there, instead of coming with me.

Stephanie
LINDA RN
Master Member

Post by LINDA RN »

Welcome Stephanie,
You are on the right track.
Reading labels was the best way to pass up all the "good" food I used to enjoy.
So many unhealthy ingredients in that processed junk!
A lot easier now to just say no and grab something healthy.
Linda
"And ye shall eat in plenty, and be satisfied, and praise the name of the LORD your God, that hath dealt wondrously with you: and my people shall never be ashamed. Joel 2:26

Taste and see that the Lord is good...
cameron
Master Member

Post by cameron »

Welcome Bamboo, to the best way of eating ever!
I have eaten the LDL way for 3 years, and I have never felt better. Lucky for me, I did not have a lot of weight to lose, and it gradually came off.

Right now I have big pot of Schloop going. This morning I had Jencita's pancakes,and I am looking forward to a bowl of fruit salad later! In between all of that I am going to treat myself to a snack of roasted garbanzo's

I am looking forward to your progress reports!
Bamboo
New, but learning

Post by Bamboo »

Hi All,
Well, I continue to be amazed at the ease with which I have slipped into the LDL way of eating.
I have now read the "red" book cover to cover; surely do appreciate not only the getting started menu plan in the book, but also the shopping list.

I have a question for you folks about weigh ins. RT cautions not to weigh in for a month in the beginning! I found that impossible to stick to...and after being curious about how things were going, I did hop on the scale, and found myself down ...are you ready ?? 8 lbs !!!! That's a pretty impressive first week.

Now, I know that this rate of loss is likely water & some fat, and that it will likely NOT sustain. And I think that if I can break my addiction to some outdated notions about "dieting", then I can also break an addiction to hopping on the scale...but that having been said, I'd like to hear how other folks manage their weight tracking.

Care to share ??

Stephanie
MsHeirloom
Master Member

Post by MsHeirloom »

Steph- I am really most comfortable with the less frequent, monthly, weigh-ins. I need the keep the focus off the inevitable ups and downs due to salt, time of month, regularity :ymdevil: , etc. It just drives me crazy. I know from the fit of my clothes whether things are going in the right direction! Good luck in breaking the scale addiction. Others here have different approaches. Do what feels best for you. Congratulations on such a successful start. Good job :ymhug: :ymhug: :ymhug: !!!!
Pam