DR. OZ BOOK NOTHING NEW

Post here about how your health has been improved since eating the LDL way!
imkay

Re: DR. OZ BOOK NOTHING NEW

Post by imkay »

thank you roger for posting this.  now i don't have to waste my time reading it!

i can just whip up another batch of little mary's spinach and artichoke dip.  yum!
it's nice to be important but it's more important to be nice
nyKath

Re: DR. OZ BOOK

Post by nyKath »

Hi all! I'll agree, nothing new in Oz's book, and unfortunately, it was written in a very condescending "cutesy" manner. This did NOT appeal!! It was totally different from other writings of his/theirs. The plan is the basic low carb, no sugar, no junk, but they do like people to have grains and some nuts, etc. in their daily diets. The number one component to success, they feel, is 30 mins. of exercise a day, every day. They're cardiologists - I guess they HAVE to say it's what you need! :) (The cardiac group I type for want all of their patients to do exercise at least 4 times a week, too, even if it's just walking.) So... you can pass on this one except to maybe give it a glance if you happen to be in the book store. ....Something I WILL recommend, though, is Mindless Eating by Brian Wansink, also just out this month. He delves into the sociology and psychology of our eating patterns, cues, etc. What makes us eat to start with, and what makes us eat without realizing it? All kinds of cues around us - patterns, aromas, colors, types of gatherings, music, advertising, etc. Things we are NOT aware of that makes us reach for whatever is being offered, even if we had no intention of eating. The few sentences I read make this a Very intriguing book, and he offers ways to break our mindless eating in the later chapters. I'll be ordering this one! ...One note I gleaned from it was in polling people that Don't use their scales regularly, how do those people KNOW for sure they've lost weight? Answers:  They can now fit comfortably into a pair of jeans that were tight. They need to wear a belt. They need to tighten up their belt a notch. They can go up 2 flights of stairs without losing their breath. They can carry something heavy up 2 flights of stairs without losing their breath. They notice that they don't have trouble picking something up when bending over or when putting on shoes or socks. People say to them "Are you losing weight? It shows!" ....Something to take with us as we ponder how much those little numbers on the scale can make or break a day or a week or a month for us. Don't climb on the scale until you feel FOR SURE that you're going to like what you see. You don't even HAVE to weigh weekly, monthly, bimonthly, or at all, really. Just weighing in at your docs can be enough. We want to see happy faces around here, so don't let those numbers bring you down! Use the fit of your clothes to mark your weight loss and you'll feel much more successful as the weeks go by...Off my soapbox and off to order my book. Bye now! ...NYKath
Tori

Post by Tori »

I'm actually curious to read the book myself. I like the way Dr. Oz breaks down the biology of our bodies and why they work they way they do. He puts it in a simple form, (laymens terms!), and I think that's great. I'll let you know my opinion after I read it. (:
DEBBIEWEBE

Post by DEBBIEWEBE »

Dear Roger,
I totally agree,  nothing new in that book.  Nothing that I havent found aleady here on Lets Do Lunch.  I wasnt all that shocked with their weightloss of  17 lbs in 12 weeks either.  Ive lost that already in 8 weeks on Lets Do Lunch and in all seriousness I havent exactly been 100% faithful to the plan either and am still losing bunches.  I just try and be sure I dont cheat often and if I do eat any non allowed foods I follow them up with soup and fruit flush for the next two days.  I have never had any backslide so far it has been a steady decline.  I also have not eaten any pasta, potatoes, or bread whatsoever which I think has helped me to lose. I was also curious after watching Dr Oz show tonight on Discovery to measure my own stomach.  I measured it before I started LDL and it was 40 inches.  Much to my surprise after only 8 weeks on LDL my stomach measured 32 1/2 inches.  At 179 lbs I am only 1/2 inch  off the recommended waist size for good health for women that Dr Oz talked about.  That is amazing in my opinion  especially when I havent added any exercise other than the tennis I was already playing 3 x's per week prior to LDL.  The only thing I have changed is the food I eat and I am having tremendous results.  I'm sure after the cameras go away and Dr Oz is no longer checking up on them they will be right back where they started because they were never educated on how to eat delicious food that they crave and love.  Only on how to restrict calories and exercise which we have all tried and failed before.  Tori is right though, you cant deny it is facsinating to see the body parts from the autopsies of unhealthy hearts, livers,digestive systems etc.  I saw a commercial today for lap band surgery and it made me SO INCREDIBLY SAD to think someone is going to watch this and believe that  that is the answer to their prayers when I KNOW BEYOND ANY SHADOW OF DOUBT that Lets Do Lunch IS ANYONES ANSWER IF ONLY THEY'D GIVE IT HALF A CHANCE THEY'D SEE.  And no I wont be purchasing this book.  I REFUSE to buy any other diet books.  If Im going to spend money on diet books it will be more copies of Lets Do Lunch to introduce others to this wonderful life plan.  Now Im not saying that I wont get a copy to read from the Library outta curiousity but I will say that Diet Books are no longer an addiction for me and I possess all the intelligent information I need for a healthy body and healthy diet in my Lets Do Lunch book.  I dont need to know what triggers mindless eating cause I dont do it anylonger. AMEN!!!!!
God Bless
Debbie 
Last edited by DEBBIEWEBE on November 4th, 2006, 1:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
rollingpat
New, but learning

Post by rollingpat »

Being a retired librarian...I still have to get my book fixes by prowling our local libraries...They have all the newest and supposedly "best diet books" available to browse and of course they're FREE!  Even Roger's books are available for check-out.  Our local library will order just about any book anyone requests, so how can you beat that deal?  I go on-line to see what they have and request the books I want to see and they are waiting for me when I get there.
Don't want to sound like a commercial but check out (no pun intended) your local libraries and save some serious money on these books! Who knows you may even see something else that tickles your fancy..
Happy reading
rollingpat
DEBBIEWEBE

Post by DEBBIEWEBE »

Mary its just another case of OLD HABITS DIE HARD.  Initially when I saw the show I was like OH COOL I LOVE DR OZ...but then my rational brain kicked in and said.....What the heck can he tell me about what to eat that I dont already know.  This is why I love LDL.  For the first time in my life I am educated about food and I now know the how and why I have to keep certain foods in my body and what time of day to eat them.  My body is now full of healthy nutrious God made food full of vitamins and minerals.  My skin is gorgous, my hair and nails are growing like crazy.  What a glorious OH GOD moment for me.  Again like I posted earlier when I saw that commercial with that woman praising her results on the lap band surgery it just made me so incredibly sad.  I feel so blessed not to be swayed by the next gimmick to come down the rail. 
Thank GOd those days are over for me.
GOd Bless
Debbie
Tori

Post by Tori »

marysimmons wrote:Amen, and "right on," Debbie!  Why on earth do any of us need to buy a "diet book?"  We have Let's Do Lunch instead, and it really works!

For me, I like to learn. I don't look at this as a diet book, but how to achieve overall health. I like to know what my body is doing, how it works, (both good and bad!), and what I can do to help it along in the right way. Total health. Not just losing weight, but learning about the actual biology of our bodies is what I find facinating.
AzRuth
New, but learning

Post by AzRuth »

Thanks, Roger for weighing in on Dr. Oz's new book.  I, too, saw the show and was curious.  Those of us on LDL are truly blessed to be eating lots of healthy foods and losing weight along the way.
Thank you Jesus for blessing us with this wonderful way to eat!!!
Ruth
mrsj
Master Member

Post by mrsj »

"without having to count calories, carbs, points or anything else."

I am VERY happy not to count ANYTHING!
mrsj
Master Member

Post by mrsj »

Rollingpat I am with you on taking advantage of the free library system.  I love how I can go online and "shop" from their inventory.  I request what I want, wait for them to notify me that it's in and go pick it up.  It's free and does not add clutter!
There's times where I'm glad I didn't buy the book, CD or DVD,
and times like with LDL, that I know it's a book I want to own as well as give as gifts.

I relate to your excitement!
mrs j

jerio

Post by jerio »

Im brand new here, but wanted to say that I had also considered how great something like the lap band surgery would be..but after thinking much about it I really came to the conclusion that unless I could find a way to eat that would improve my health that I would just be getting on another "fad diet" so to speak.
I would be scared that if nothing changed in the way I was eating that surgery would just be another disappointment in the long run. I came here because I believe that this way of eating does make the most sense of anything I've come across..I think that all of you should be commended for using a sane and sensible approach to overweight because all the fads and the quick fixes are not working for people in general, IMO...
robert42

Post by robert42 »

Did anyone see Randy on american Idol?  Looks like he's gained it all back.  Also I think Al on the today show looks like he's gained a bit back.

Surgery won't work if you can't control the cravings before the surgery, you won't control them (eventually) after the surgery.
jerio

Post by jerio »

I had wondered about whether they had gained it back..especially when I saw Idol the other night...Im sure sorry if they have because I can imagine how I would feel to go thru that and then gain it back..hey..looks like God gave me more sense about myself than I thought I had...God is good. My thoughts about myself just kept coming back to...If I won't change the way that I eat, nothing is ever going to help me.
Queenie
Administrator

Post by Queenie »

Both of you are absolutely right!!  I had thought about the lap band for a long time.  When I called to chat with one of the nurses, I found out that I didn't qualify.. even though I was 70 pounds overweight...

I'm SO glad now that I didn't do it (if I could've found someone to do it).  There are SUCH risks - and like you said, Robert, if you don't get rid of your cravings - or at the VERY least - change your eating habits, it's gonna come back...

(and welcome to LDL, jerio!!)

Carolyn
My Weight Loss ProgressImage

John's Weight Loss ProgressImage

[b][i]"The journey of a thousand miles begins with the first step."
robnveronica
Master Member

Post by robnveronica »

see isn't it great that God gave us a plan like Roger's to get rid of the cravings and teach us to have a healthy relationship  with food again?!! Welcome to the family Jerio!
niki

Post by niki »

jerio wrote:I came here because I believe that this way of eating does make the most sense of anything I've come across....

this is really the truth,annie......NOTHING works like let's do lunch to take it off AND keep it off...for your health and for your well being....with the surgery,you have so many risks...WHY do that when you can do LET'S DO LUNCH?...niki
jerio

Post by jerio »

Oh, I really do thank God for finding this place and LDL..somehow it seems like I knew deep inside that for me the surgery wasn't the answer..even if I could have found a way to get it...I haven't always made very good choices in my llife, but this way of eating is one of the good ones that Im making and staying with.......honestly, my poor  body has never had so much good nutrition and vitamins....Im going to take it one day at a time ...a friend of mine says that it takes about 21 days to form a new habit...this is going to be a habit I hope.
                                                    Annie