Why I believe in Lets Do Lunch June 8, 2017

Feel free to talk about anything and everything re Let’s Do Lunch™.
LisaJ
New, but learning

Why I believe in Lets Do Lunch June 8, 2017

Post by LisaJ »

Hello all,

First, I would like to introduce myself. My name is Lisa, I am 52, divorced, and the mother of 4 grown children. One of my 3 sons lives in Germany and he has three children who live with their mother in Texas. Another son lives in Japan with his wife and three children. My youngest son lives in the Denver area and my daughter (my oldest child) is my roommate. We live near Little Rock, Ar. I have been a nurse for 20 years and I am in school to become a family nurse practitioner. I have 11 weeks to go!

Here is why I believe in the Let's Do Lunch way of eating. Several years ago I was diagnosed with high cholesterol and my doctor recommended that I try a vegetarian diet for a year instead of taking medication. I followed the diet for a year but I had some problems with it. I didn't like all of the raw vegetables he wanted me to eat and I thought fruit would make me gain weight so I avoided it. Plus, I never stopped eating bread, chips and cheese dip- lots of things that I liked better than fresh vegetables but were still considered "vegetarian. At the end of the year, my cholesterol level was even higher. So I ended up taking the medication. I also did not lose any weight- I may have gained, but I don't remember.

Over the years, my weight keeps going up and up despite my efforts to avoid foods I consider to be fattening- cakes, cookies, doughnuts, and soft drinks, etc. are foods that I rarely eat (but when I do eat them, boy do I get my money's worth!). I tried many different diets. I tried a liquid diet consisting of fruit and vegetable smoothies, low carb/no carb, calorie counting, meetings, you name it, with no long term success. As a nurse and nursing student, I know how important good nutrition is and how VERY important it is to maintain a healthy weight. I began to wonder how effective a vegetarian diet would be, if I did it right, for losing weight. So I did a modified literature review. I collected 10 recent, randomized controlled trial research papers from peer reviewed journals related to my subject- are vegetarian diets more effective than traditional (meat containing) diets for losing weight. I reviewed each study and compared the data the researchers presented and I found out that research shows, without a doubt, following a proper vegetarian diet not only leads to greater weight loss, but it also leads to lower blood pressure, lower cholesterol, and lower blood glucose (better A1c for diabetics). All of those things add up to a decreased risk for heart disease, stroke, and diabetes. I also found that the closer a diet comes to "vegan" (absolutely no animal products) the better. I am a meat eater. I like eggs, cheese, and I love milk. I'm not about to give up animal products completely. I can, however, limit meat to one meal a day and eat only fruits and vegetables the rest of the time. I know LDL will work for me, I read the scientific studies (10, not just one, and not from someone's online blog). I did this literature review as an assignment. You can view my presentation here:
https://maryville.voicethread.com/share/6757033/ It is about 10 minutes long and includes references.
TTYL,
Lisa J
"Optimist: Someone who figured out that taking a step backward after taking a step forward isn't a disaster, it's more like a cha-cha."
omalani
Master Member

Re: Why I believe in Lets Do Lunch June 8, 2017

Post by omalani »

6/8/2017
Thank you Lisa!! I too am a registered nurse since 1963. I retired at age 70 and I am still registered in Okla. I moved to Des Moines Iowa on April 2 to be near my oldest daughter Jen and her 3 grown daughters. I have been caring for my great granddaughter for the past weeks and we are buddies. She is quiet and so well behaved. We like to paint, swim and go to the zoo. I have been on LDL since 2012 and lost 50 lbs.in the first year. I have stalled and gained back 15 lbs slowly and fluctuated within those 15 lbs. That is because I eat a large amount of food and eat bread and sweets too frequently. When I began I was very strict and even though I ate a lot of fruit, my blood sugar was never too high and I lost weight. I ate fruit when I wanted sweets and beans when I wanted bread or salty foods. Corn and beans seem to fill me the most and now that I live in Iowa, corn is plentiful. Check out the recipes they are great. I eat primarily vegetarian food and only meat at family meals.My family love veggies and salads so I can go without meat. I am busy now so I don't eat between meals as much. I am considering limiting my portions. (portion control is difficult for me) I do emotional eating and I really like to cook for my family and eat. I am divorced and living alone is difficult at times, but I go to the YMCA to exercise, and my church family is a comfort to me. Now that I am near Jen and her family I rarely have time alone!! Life is good.
Aloha,
Leilani

I know what I'm doing, says the Lord.
I have it all planned out - plans to take care of you, not abandon you, plans to give you the future you hope for.
Jeremiah 29:11

LisaJ
New, but learning

Post by LisaJ »

Well my hat is off to you Omalani! I give excellent care to all of my patients, but when I find out my patient is a retired nurse I raise the bar. I hope you enjoy every day of your well earned retirement. Stay healthy and strong!
"Optimist: Someone who figured out that taking a step backward after taking a step forward isn't a disaster, it's more like a cha-cha."
omalani
Master Member

Post by omalani »

6/9/17
Well today I am going to be an optimist and dance through the day. Yesterday turned into a binge, but I can see it is because I brought things into my house that are not LDL. I have no excuse! Today I start with a brand new slate and recommit to my program. God's mercies are new every morning. I am awakened to new possibilities. Life is very good.
Aloha,
Leilani

I have it all planned out - plans to take care of you, not abandon you, plans to give you the future you hope for.

LINDA RN
Master Member

Post by LINDA RN »

6/11/17

Hello Lisa.... again. I posted briefly on your other post. I started LDL in 2009 when hubby saw Roger on the 700 Club. A diet full of beans was a diet sent from heaven for him! He was a huge bread and saltine cracker eater. Could not have any meal wthout bread or biscuits. But he was willing to give it up for more beans. He was hypertensive, eating antiacidsand PPI's constatanly, freqent headaches, sinusitis, joint pains, even skin tags. That all left him a few months after starting LDL. He lost weight fairly quickly. On the other hand, not so fast for me. I was faithfully on plan for 5 months with no significant weight change. Then it seemed I dropped over 30 lbs overnight. Unlike other diets (and believe me I have tried them all) the first thing I noticed was the weight falling off my abdomen and thighs first! I did read something about eating according to your blood type. Hubby was raised in Oklahoma on a diet of mostly beans and very little meat. He is A+. Me on the other hand am O+ and I cannot go without meat. So I was following the plan and eating biggest meal at lunch including meat......it was mostly chicken but I had to bring beef back in when I got a little anemic. My cholesterol has been around 210 for years. The only time it gets below 200 is when I cut out the sweets. I heard a doctor on television the other day talking about total cholesterol. He said evaluating health based on total cholesterol would be like evaluating your finances by adding all your assests and debts together. He is a cardiologist and said fats are necessary but the good fats (Omega 3s). Lately I have found that taking chelated Magnesium has greatly reduced craving and is keeping me much more "regular." I have noticed that when my GI tract is full, I seem to want to eat even when not hungry. I think that being full (meaning too much retained stool), I felt sleepy andthen want to snack to stay awake. So some things are coming together for me and I am looking forward to looser-fitting uniforms.

Looking forward to hearing about your progress.
Linda
"And ye shall eat in plenty, and be satisfied, and praise the name of the LORD your God, that hath dealt wondrously with you: and my people shall never be ashamed. Joel 2:26

Taste and see that the Lord is good...
LisaJ
New, but learning

Post by LisaJ »

Omalani,

Dancing is great exercise- even if you meant dancing in your attitude. I don't like to go to the gym because of the time commitment. The drive takes as much or more time as the workout does. I plan to start with yoga and some resistance training at home though. I would dance or workout with aerobic videos at home but I live on the third floor of an apartment complex- the neighbors below would not like me very much I'm afraid. I will be out of school and I hope to have a more manageable schedule. I know that exercise is not required in LDL, but I always feel better when I do.

LisaJ
LisaJ
New, but learning

Post by LisaJ »

Hi Linda,

Yes- I saw your post, thank you for the welcome.

I had already been cutting out bread, rice, and pasta before I started LDL. I also avoided beans because of the calorie content. Now, I am eating lots of beans and it truly has gotten easier to avoid bread! Also, my cravings for sweets have definitely started to disappear. That is really exciting for me.
Oh, shoot- I'm doing clinicals today and I see that my lunch break is over- gotta go...

TTYL,
LisaJ
omalani
Master Member

Post by omalani »

You are on the right track. I have started to do some stretching in bed before I get up and I find it helps me. Usually I am stiff in the morning. Leaving out the bread and sugar helps me immensely though. I am going to pack for my trip today!! I need to buy some new underwear and good walking shoes. I went to see Wonder woman last night with my daughter and granddaughter. I don't much care for violent movies and a lot of that. I suppose the theme of the movie was War doesn't end evil, true love does. Life is very good.
Aloha,
Leilani

MsHeirloom
Master Member

Post by MsHeirloom »

Lisa J- Welcome to LDL which I believe is the healthiest way to lose weight and improve our health. We are happy to have a newbie on board to share your successes as you move toward health. Best wishes.
Pam
LisaJ
New, but learning

Post by LisaJ »

June 18, 2017

Pam, hello and thank you for the warm welcome. I am looking forward to talking with all of you here- the support is great!

Omalani, did you find some good walking shoes? What kind did you get? I have always worn sports shoes to work the 12 hour shifts at the hospital but no that I am doing my clinical rotation in school, I have to wear dress clothes and sports shoes don't make the cut. The days are only 8 hours long but boy do my feet hurt! I found Clarks and they are comfortable all day but a little on the pricey side so I only have one pair. Is there another brand you recommend?
LINDA RN
Master Member

Post by LINDA RN »

I love the Anywear Shoes. This site has styles you could get by with:
http://www.anywears.com/shop/category.p ... tart_num=0

They feel like walking on pillows. Here it is the style I wear: http://kristenuniforms.com/anywhere-poi ... AnNI8P8HAQ

I wear white at work but have a pair in black for "street clothes".
Linda
"And ye shall eat in plenty, and be satisfied, and praise the name of the LORD your God, that hath dealt wondrously with you: and my people shall never be ashamed. Joel 2:26

Taste and see that the Lord is good...
crickadoodle
Master Member

Post by crickadoodle »

Yes, Lisa, Let's Do Lunch is what works for me too. Now, I have found that we are all unique beings and not everyone's body is the same. My nephew and his wife and now my husband have lost weight on the keto diet. My nephew's wife has struggled with her weight throughout her life and is in her mid 40s. She has lost just over 100 lbs. To support my husband, I tried the keto diet and gained 3 lbs!!! After a month of misery and no fruit, I'm now back to LDL.

I initially lost 50 lbs. and was at my teenager weight while doing LDL, I very slowly gained about half back over 7 years. I never have felt that out of control hunger since letting LDL do its wonderful work on my body. My ideal way of eating is LDL. I feel best and can stay slim. I'm at the upper end of healthy weight and I really don't need to be 125 lbs ever again. I would like to lose 10-15 lbs, since my step daughter's wedding is coming up at the end of September and it's more comfortable for me. My best way to lose is to eat a big lunch with a bowl of bean soup and then fruit for supper -- usually watermelon. I lose fastest this way. Eating popcorn doesn't work for me. I can eat it, but I won't lose weight. I'm not tempted by sweets very much at all. I know sugar is poison. If I eat sweets it's usually because someone else is wanting me too. (My husband has a sweet tooth.) Seriously. Then I get lax and let it in, if I'm not careful. Really, fruit is so much better tasting to me.

Even though my husband is losing on keto, he's really missing fruit most of all. After the wedding he's going to join me on LDL and maintain what he's lost. (And maybe lose a little more, who knows?) I grow pineapples in pots and had 2 this year (last year we had 7!) and I saved part of one in the freezer so he could eat it later, after the wedding. He's lost 19 lbs and hoping for 35 total. I'm thinking he might even lose 10-15 more when he's done.

Trust this plan, but also listen to your body. I find I can deceive myself and make allowances -- like telling myself popcorn is ok. But it's not ok for me if I want to lose weight.