Curried Chickpea and Cilantro Soup

All our yummy soup recipes!
JerrieH

Re: Curried Chickpea and Cilantro Soup

Post by JerrieH »

This soup is sooooo good.  I've made it several times in the last couple of weeks and have been eating it for days.  I love recipes with curry in it and I love garbanzo beans, so it makes a great combination.  I do add a tiny bit of stevia or splenda, to give it just a touch of sweetness.  I guess I like curry flavor to have just a touch of sweetness, because I have made a very good dip over the years (from Taste of Home) called Slam Dunk Dip (not making it now as it is not LDL friendly), but it has curry and is slightly sweet.  Also, the last time I made this soup in threw in some spinach I had just before using my immersion blender and that was really good too.  Thanks, Mary, for the recipe.  Jerrie
jencita
Master Member

Post by jencita »

I wanted to try this today. I have never had curry powder so I have no idea what to expect.  I have very old curry powder in my spice cabinet - probably at least 10 years old or older - would that still be good or should I buy fresh?
jencita
Master Member

Post by jencita »

Thanks Mary,
I actually have a lot of spices in my cabinet that are very old.  I plan on becoming more adventurous. I bought new curry powder and am trying this soup tomorrow! Can't wait.
jencita
Master Member

Post by jencita »

I just tried this soup and I really liked it. I am the only one that liked it though - I won't even tell you what my daughter said it looked like.  I ate 2 bowls! Yum! Thanks for sharing.
crickadoodle
Master Member

Post by crickadoodle »

Decided I'm making this today!!  Just wanted to bring it up for newbies to see.  It is delicious!!
LovinLDL

Post by LovinLDL »

Thanks for the reminder Crick!  When we first started eating this and the curried chickpeas my three oldest kiddos were involved in debate and their resolution that year involved US Policy with India.  Funny, I think they were all about the curried chickpea dishes because of the link with India.  I think I made the two dishes so much we got a bit tired of them, especially when the year changed and there was a new resolution.  There is a cold front in TX.....I think I'll go soak my chickpeas and have this tonight. :thumbsup:  It is a very good soup!

Blessings,
Julie
crickadoodle
Master Member

Post by crickadoodle »

I really enjoyed it last week.  It is a yummy soup.  I'm going to make roasted garlic and butternut squash soup this week!!  Got 3 big butternut squashes at the Farmer's Market this Sat. and was so excited about them!!  Fries and soup!!    :drool:  :D
ebeth
New, but learning

Post by ebeth »

I just made this soup and it is absolutely fabulous! I might eat it every day! So glad that I tried it.
crickadoodle
Master Member

Post by crickadoodle »

Ummmmmm, just made a pot of this and my house smells delicious!
omalani
Master Member

Post by omalani »

8/14/17
I am going to make this. I have some tomatoes, pepper and onions to make the salsa. Best is that I pick up my Vita-mix blender on Wed. My granddaughter found it on craigs list and I am making smoothies and soups galore. Life is full of surprises.
Aloha,
Leilani

I know what I'm doing, says the Lord.
I have it all planned out - plans to take care of you, not abandon you, plans to give you the future you hope for.
Jeremiah 29:11

crickadoodle
Master Member

Post by crickadoodle »

Hey, Mary, love this soup and still appreciate all the effort you have put into coming up with such yummy, healthy recipes for all of us to freely use. I'm making this again as I type! I found a recipe online called Morrocan Lamb with Chickpeas? It is so good and LDL friendly. Well, I cook the beans instead of buying canned beans and I have so much left I make the soup too. It has golden raisins and cinnamon added to it and gives such an interesting mix of flavors: sweet and savory. Yum! I'll try to get it in the recipes for main dishes if something similar isn't already there. Love you!
crickadoodle
Master Member

Post by crickadoodle »

So cool! I wanted to make this soup and came to the board to find the recipe and it was at the very top! Yummmmmm! My house is smelling yummy from the curry powder. :)
omalani
Master Member

Post by omalani »

5/29/18
I am heading down to put some dried garbonzos in the pressure cooker and I am going to make this soup!! I am still in Alaska and my grand daughter is coming home today so I will be able to see her for a few days before I leave. I am finally over my cold after 3 weeks (good news) but I can now smell the dog! (bad news) I am still under 230 lbs and am ready to stick with some discipline! Life is good.
Aloha,
Leilani

I know what I'm doing, says the Lord.
I have it all planned out - plans to take care of you, not abandon you, plans to give you the future you hope for.
Jeremiah 29:11