Staying on LDL while Pregnant

Feel free to talk about anything and everything re Let’s Do Lunch™.
jswjanet

Staying on LDL while Pregnant

Post by jswjanet »

I have been do the LDL lifestyle makeover for a while and have been moderately successful. {I hate the term diet so I chose to look at it as a lifestyle makeover.} I am about 17 weeks pregnant and my question is: Is it safe to continue eating the LDL while pregnant? I did discuss it with my doctor, however they were of no help since they had never heard of the program and have little nutrition education. Being overweight to begin with makes pregnancy risky, I was told I really should only gain the 20 pounds associated with the baby to avoid getting gestational diabetes. Any suggestions would be appreciated. I am not using my pregnancy as a license to eat anything and everything. I wish to continue eating the LDL way because quite frankly I feel better and I eat more fruits and vegetables now then I ever did. Any ideas on how I can continue and not jeopardize my babies health?
niki

Re: Staying on LDL while Pregnant

Post by niki »

when i was pregnant the first time,i was at least 20 pounds overweight(if not more)...i only gained 14 pounds because i have a familial history of diabetes and i was afraid of developing gestational diabetes..i cut all sugars out...i still ate all the carbs...so you shouldn't have any fear of doing ldl while pregnant...because just as mary said,you're eating a very healthy,balanced diet....speaking of mercury,i remember reading an article online about mercury in salmon......what i would do if i were you is,i would go online and look into the things that are suspicious(like mercury)that people caution pregnant women about...in my opinion,you'll get more info that way than any doctor i've ever met will give you..i would be caffeine free and i wouldn't take any medication unless i absolutely had to..and i wouldn't use any artificial sweeteners either...quite honestly,i would even hesitate with stevia ...you might go online and they might reassure you that it is perfectly fine....but,if i were you,i still wouldn't.......you never know when something might prove to be bad for you or your baby down the road..why not play it safe?..what is wonderful for you with the ldl lifestyle is that you can eat that way most of the time,and if you have a craving you want to indulge,you can do so without guilt...it'll keep you from gaining too much weight and you'll be happier for it....try to keep your stress level down,be good to yourself and enjoy your pregnancy...........God bless ...niki 
jswjanet

Post by jswjanet »

Thank you Mary and Niki for the information. I had heard about the fish so I limit my intake now to just once a month and it usually is wild salmon. Niki I totally agree with you about the artificial sweeteners. I am currently studying to be a dietetican and I had learned that aspartame should not have even been approved for consumption by humans, however the key people involved with passing it were on the companies payroll. Needless to say since I learned that about 6months ago I stopped using all artificial sweeteners all together. Thank you both for the advice and I will continue as long as we both are healthy. I really see no reason not to. The food is really better on the LDL program then if I was to being eating out all the time. Plus  I have not had any cravings and limited morning sickness. Again thank you both for you help in this matter. 
Have a Blessed Day!
Janet
lmanueleroth

Post by lmanueleroth »

I found out that I am also pregnant and want to do this as well.  I see no changes that need to be made except my doctor did not recommend leaving out dairy.  She said that it is important for me while pregnant.  So that is the only alteration that needed to be made for me.  ( I drink only skim milk and cheeses though. She said that since I am pregnant and this diet allows you to eat regularly that I will gain weight that I am suppose to anyway.  That adding an additional 300 calories a day is sufficient but since you can eat till you are full anyway there should be no need unless I need a raisin type snack.  ;D  My suggestion would be to take a list of foods you would eat in a normal day on LDL and ask what recommendations they have.  So far I received the go ahead and feel like I will be more successful and healthy with this pregnancy (I gained 62lbs with my 1st one!) :o
margo
Master Member

Post by margo »

Congratulations to all our LDLers who are pregnant!  It's so wonderful.

Isn't is miraculous that a teeeeeny tiny microscopic egg can combine with a weeeee little tadpole like cell to make a brand new individual human being?  It's just a wonderful miracle.....knocks me out every time i think deeply about it!  God is certainly the BEST designer  and planner of ALL things!!

God bless!
margo