WOW

Feel free to talk about anything and everything re Let’s Do Lunch™.
CJ

WOW

Post by CJ »

The purpose of WOW is a little structure on a specific day of the week, to attend a meeting with myself (and others), so I will better be able to keep myself accountable on my transition to living a healthier life, the LDL way! Phew...

I have habits I need to break and self discipline that needs to be exercised. If anyone has been reading my postings about Hump Day, you will understand where I am coming from and why I have started this WOW topic. As suggested, I was going to post this on the Let's Get Started section, but I was blocked from starting a new topic in that area.   

Here Goes:
Welcome to our first WOW meeting. WOW stands for Welcome on Wednesday. Once a week I 'welcome' everyone who is interested in joining me for a little self-evaluation meeting. It is recommended that we weigh in only once a month, verses every week like I initially wanted. Regardless of the weight part, the important part of WOW is to make an extra effort once a week to check the boards and hopefully have some of you join me for a few ideas, suggestions, successes, challenges or extra Hip-Hooray communication. I realize the message board is set up for exactly that, but I personally need that extra structured one day a week to make it a point to share with you. I hope you will join me on Wednesdays as well.   

I'm obsessed by the scale, meaning I step on it at least twice a day and know I need to work on breaking that habit. I may ultimately need to seek professional counseling to break that pattern!  :)  However, since today is our first WOW gathering, I officially get to weigh myself and document it. I've lost 2 1/2 pounds since I started back on the LDL. How are you all doing?

TIP FOR THE WEEK: Always have fresh fruit and vegetables washed and ready to eat.   

Have a safe and happy July 4th celebration.
Last edited by CJ on September 3rd, 2007, 11:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
patsyfay
Master Member

Re: WOW

Post by patsyfay »

Carla,

If anyone embraces the LDL way of life, THEY WILL LOSE WEIGHT.  It is a physical absolute. Once your body is given what it needs to thrive, you can go on automatic pilot and just let your body do it's thing. I was like you and weighed in all the time.  I don't know why, because it was always bad news.  Who would want to reinforce bad news 2 or 3 times a day?  On LDL, weighing just once a month, the news is always good.  And throughout the month, you get to enjoy all the anticipation of the GOOD news.

Look into one of those Bullet Blenders.  They aren't too costly and, I hear, work great.

I'm always surprised at how accomodating restaurants are regarding what we can and cannot eat.  Everywhere I've asked, they are always happy to serve me meat, chicken or fish prepared any way I ask and to serve it with veggies and/or salad.  It's so much easier to eat on LDL than any other way.  I think we were so indoctrinated on our other "Diets" about what we could and couldn't eat in restaurants, that we just think that the LDL way will present the same problems.  But that is definately not the case.  Just ask and you can be enjoying bona fide LDL food.

We are traveling this week to spend time with family and I am taking a cooler full of fresh fruit and a few cans of spicy refried beans.  I will fall back on these if there is nothing else to eat, but I'm sure I'll be fine.  You can do anything if you plan ahead.  God bless you.

Pat
We are not human beings having a spiritual experience; we are spiritual beings having a human experience.

margo
Master Member

Post by margo »

Hi Carla!

Honest is the best policy.  If she's going to be your daughter in law, then you should be able to speak honestly with her.  Just cook up a few turkey/beef burgers and put them in a plastic baggie and take them along with you.  Take a couple of cans of whatever beans you prefer.  You can cut up your turkey/beef combo into your beans and all you'll need is a burner on the stove to warm things up.  THen eat greens and fruit and beverages! 

It's probably a great idea to give your future daughter in law a copy of LDL 'cause i can't remember seeing any thin chef (except that DeLaurentis [i think it's DeLaurentis] gal on tv)...

The other thing you've really made me think about is the weighing.  I'm really battling getting on the scale.  Who knew that this was a separate addiction apart from food....or maybe it is related to food but it reminds me so much more of the youngsters with the eating disorders....I really think it's best for us if we forget about the scale except once a month.  Anything that is an obsession is probably bad for us...

What i'd like to see here perhaps is a discussion of what we are eating.  For instance i would love to have Little Mary's (and anyone else's) opinion about my daily food intake...

For instance, today (like most days) i had:

between 6am - 12noon
12 ounces of fruit smoothie
8 lychees
1 mango

between 12noon and 4pm
about 5 -6 ounces of salmon (i'm not weighing stuff but it's 1/2 of a normal portion from before LDL)
bowl of beans
green salad
ear of corn - nothing on it - just love it plain!!

between 4-5pm
slice of water melon - each day it is less and less
pop corn (biiiig bowl - i guess about 5 cups) - air popped with a spritz of olive oil and salt

around 7:30
another bowl of beans and left over salad from lunch

still tonight before i retire i may have a frozen fruit treat or a bowl of beans or an ear of corn.

That's what my days look like...

what do you think?  Is this ideal?  I know i could cut down on the olive oil on my popcorn.  I've never had it before LDL but i love the flavor of the olive oil on the popped corn!  Yummy...

goodnight and God bless!
margo
EnJae
Master Member

Post by EnJae »

I stayed up too late last night reading a novel; SOOO this morning I overslept and had just enough time to get up, dressed, and scoot the dogs out the door ahead of me as I ran. I was at work before I realized I had forgotten to grab any fruit. So no breakfast. DEFINITELY a mistake for me.

Because it was a holiday the son of my home health client asked me to work just 1 hr with his mother but he'll pay me for 2 hrs. SWEET!
I had to run some errands after work so I stopped by a "Chik-Fil-A" for lunch. I WANTED 12 chicken nuggets with Polynesian Sauce but I know there is a lot of sugar in the sauce. So I ate the nuggets with mustard instead. And they made me a side salad with no cheese and no dressing. (I like it that way.) And I drank tea sweetened with Stevia. That was lunch.

Now is where everyone is going to find out my "dirty little secret". The reason I do not lose weight as fast as others do is: I LOVE MEAT!!! I eat meat with 2 meals nearly every day. Supper was watermelon, a LOT of home-cooked beans, a vegetable medley, smoked chicken & a little bit of the leanest pieces of smoked beef brisket. I easily bypassed the baked beans (sugar), cakes, pies, cobblers, grape Kool-aid and lemonade.

Oh, and I weigh 215#.
Thank you for starting WOW, Carla.
NJ
Last edited by EnJae on July 4th, 2007, 9:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
patsyfay
Master Member

Post by patsyfay »

Carla,

I agree with Margo. Honesty will serve you well. And we know what great dishes female chefs can come up with
( Yea!!!...Mary!).  Do give her the book and show her some of the recipes you find on this site.  I'll bet she will want to create some superb meals for you based on LDL approved foods.

I've seen the Bullet Blender at Wal-Mart, K-Mart, Target and other places.

I know this is Thursday, but we were out most of yesterday.  See you next WOW.

Pat
We are not human beings having a spiritual experience; we are spiritual beings having a human experience.

robnveronica
Master Member

Post by robnveronica »

I too am a day late/dollar short when it comes to responding to messages! BUT I am here to support everyone. I too have meat at more than one meal a couple times a week, but if that is what it takes for me to feel full and satisfied, I do it. I like smoothies for breakfast (42 oz frequently to keep satisfied from 6 am til noon!) and have HUGE salad w/ corn and beans on top w/ some fat free Italian dressing (about 1 -2 TBSP).  Some times I put FF cottage cheese (Stater Bros. brand as they don't seem to add sugars to it like the name brand Knudsen!). Dinner may be some sort of meat, veggie maybe some popcorn, or more fruit. Sometimes I put meat on the salad, sometimes not. IF I get hungry for a snack it's usually popcorn w/ splenda/cinnamon mix in my stir crazy w/ little olive oil.
I don't weigh very often anymore. I was weighing once every couple days but over past 5 months have now gotten to where I only weigh 1x every month or 2.
See you next week!!
Forever Young
Master Member

Post by Forever Young »

WOW!  I'm two days late...but here I am.  I have lost four more pounds since...I don't know when.  That makes me a total of 36 pounds now.  I did okay on the holiday.  No tempting baked goods so that made it easier.

Yes, you will like the bullet blender.  I even have a generic one that hubby got at Aldi's...and it makes quick work of the mashed BEtatoes!  Don't make smoothies as I eat my fruit whole. 

Last week was quite good for me.  Not sure what will come up next, but I rejoice in each VICTORY!

Jeanne
Keep on...keeping on...on LDL..eating all the carbs and calories you want until full...and still lose weight.  Stay on board the train headed for...SKINNYTOWN!!!   Let's Do Lunch really works!!!
EnJae
Master Member

Post by EnJae »

I'm glad you started this early because I have such a busy day planned tomorrow that I don't know when I'll get to check in...

Hi I'm EnJae and I am a compulsive eater...

Carla, one thought about changing just a bit at a time. That's the example we have to follow. At first Roger Troy simply added frozen grapes to his evenings. Then he changed his meat choices. One step at a time...you can do this! I think we all read the book and then try to do everything at once. BUT that's not what RT did. Cut yourself some slack; allow God to make the changes in your mind and heart.

Well, I have stayed the same weight for awhile. and today (yesterday?) I determined that it was time to give up my morning bowl of grits. I was experimenting. The processed grits did not cause me to GAIN any weight but neither did I LOSE any. I have other changes to make that might be hindering my weight-loss. But this is the one I am starting with.

[RT, I hope this won't offend or worry you... but ---] I have decided to weigh once a week for now instead of once a month. But I plan to do it on Wednesday mornings and not Tuesday evenings so I'll post my weight when I have time tomorrow.
NJ
margo
Master Member

Post by margo »

Morning Everyone!

My name is Margo and i'm a compulsive eater also!    :-\

I thought that today was my monthly weighing day but actually it falls on the 16th of the month, so i'd prefer to wait a week and will weigh again next Wednesday.  I am really trying to break the weighing in addiction....just another obsessive compulsive activity that i want to discard.

Congratulations to everyone who is weighing in today!  Even if you didn't lose any weight over the week....don't give up!!  When i was weighing myself everyday or a couple of times a day, i found that my even eating LDL foods, my weight could fluctuate like 2 or 3 pounds over a couple of days and then BAM....i'd find myself the next morning down 4 or 5 where i'd hold for a few days before going up 2 o3 3 and then fluctuating again until i'd go down another 4 or so.....so i'd drive myself crazy (more crazy?? ;D) if i weighed every day. 

My focus now is not so much on losing weight as fast as i can.  Sure, i would love to wake up tomorrow at 130 pounds, but that ain't gonna happen.  So i feel good about how my blood sugars must look (i'm not diabetic but i carry my weight around my waist and i understand that's the worst) and i hope that my next blood test will show better cholesterol levels.

What i'm working on this next week is to transition to leaner cuts of protein.  I love the thigh and leg of chicken and do all i can to remove all traces of the fat on the meat, but this week i'll switch to breast meat.  Also, i've done well cutting out my afternoon caffeine free diet pepsis..now i have to work on the two diet pepsis i have in the morning for the caffeine.  I think i'm addicted to them too!

Have a wonderful week and God bless!
margo
margo
Master Member

Post by margo »

Yes...LDL certainly works.  I feel frustrated for Roger Troy (and Little Mary too) because i see how much he wants us to understand that it's not the weight we have to fight, the weight will come off naturally and automatically if we only just eat LDL foods as much as we want.  We're so ingrained with getting to the "goal" of a certain number of pounds as a measurement of our success.  But, to me success is being able to watch a cooking show about something luscious like Lidia prepares on her shows without it triggering a need to eat those things.  WIth LDL i experience the chance to have some will power without it being a MAJOR war each time. Anyway the cravings for those foods have disappeared.  When i watch a cooking show like Lidia's i can remember what the perfectly aldente linguini felt and tasted like in my mouth and the wonderful slippery white clam sauce loaded with garlic, olive oil and parsley on top tasted like.  I can conjure that sensation in my mind..and you know what?  It's enough for me and it's quite enjoyable to remember it....and remembering it doesn't make me get fat!!  Wonderful.

Anyway, Roger Troy...i HEAR you and more and more i am just concentrating on being healthy and staying away from the food addiction triggers.

God Bless you Always! 
margo
EnJae
Master Member

Post by EnJae »

Just as I suspected: I'm still 215#.

And joining the talk about cravings...
When I began LDL I chose to continue eating a bar of dark chocolate whenever I wanted one. At first I ate one on the first of every month. Right now I can't remember the last time I tasted chocolate. AND even more significantly, the last 2 times I bought groceries, I scanned the candy bars next to the check-out and passed them up because nothing appealed to me.

God is good.
NJ
straniero5

Post by straniero5 »

OK, I am in.  Good idea to keep me on the boards.  Thanks, Kathy
robnveronica
Master Member

Post by robnveronica »

Well, here I am joining in..several days late due to multiple issues here at home. BUT I AM HERE! I've eaten better again lately. Enjoying smoothies in mornings (thanks to new fridge!!!), eating salads at lunch and if hungry dinner of light meat, veggies.  last night was starving for dinner. Had a carne asada salad w/ beans on top and could only finish 1/2 at first attempt, then when got hungry later (was eating dinner at 4 instead of usual 630/7) finished it! I even only used 1/2 of the usual amount of dressing just cuz didn't want anymore!
I understand Carla about 1 day at a time. And the cravings and everything will get better in time.
mildred

Post by mildred »

Veronica I love those word you put in on the bottom , it said ( I'm getting smaller) I love it.
Diane
I have lost 85 pound now I start in Jan and now in July
85 pound Praise the lord our father god...
seg

Post by seg »

Hey, Carla!  Oh my gosh I thought I was the only one obsessed with the scale!!  I weigh myself ( and I know I should not and need to break it) like once a day!  I guess it is the antcipation of seeing results.  I think God is working on patience with me in that issue and in my knee issue.  It is rather like captivity isn't it?  Gee where have I read that before, let me see Israelites-how many times, by Babylon, Assyria...etc. 

Maybe we can set a date for weigh in like you say on a Wednesday and I will stick to that.
Let me know the date.  I can tell ya all one thing, since I have started the plan my acid reflux is just about gone.  I tend to switch my protein meal for the evening, but still have not had any issues with reflux.  what amazes me too for the fruit breakfast in the morning, I am not hungry.  when I would eat cereal I would be ravenous 1 hour later, and youi feel satiated, not stuffed.  I have my husband doing the fruit thing also, although he does not need to lose weight at all.  I have really limited the starches and have had no problems doing that. Eating out has not been that big of a deal, we had a ladies retreat yesterday and although the lunch consisted of a croissant, chicken salad, pasta salad and some fruite a cheese.  I could not eat the chicken salad because it had walnuts in it (I am very allergic to tree nuts), I did not feel that I even wanted to eat the pasta salad or croissant.  So I just eat the fruit and a few cheese cubes and eat some cold chicken when I got home.  Fortunately too the dessert they served had nuts in it too, but you know I really did not even want it, really even if it did not have nuts in it. 

I do want to make some whole wheat, golden flaxseed meal chocolate chip cookies today, how many like per week would I be allowed to eat? 2?  since they still have butter in them they are high in fat, but at least there is some nutrient value being whole wheat (which I grind myself, so it has the whole bran in it) and with the flaxseed (good for my joints), I also use sucanat (which is non-bleached sugar with molasses added) which is better than white sugar health wise.  but I know it is still calories. 

Hey what is the consensus on Buffalo meat?  I noticed the ground Buffalo I get from my coop is low in fat, but the sausage has like 14 grams of fat per serving?!  yike.  (I will find out my choesteral on Tuesday as a matter of fact).

oh, ps if anyone wants a recipe for a salmon salad, let me know.  just created one last night, was very good.

Sue Ellen
itsmimi

Post by itsmimi »

marysimmons wrote:
seg wrote:  You'll NEVER manage to conquer your sugar cravings if you eat even one of these a week.  It doesn't matter if it's organic or not organic, leave out the (even non-bleached sugar,) chocolate & molasses.  A taste of them will leave you longing for more. 

Ain't that the truth!  Every time I've caved in and had just a taste of a chocolate chip cookie or piece of cheesecake, it has caused me problems for a few days afterwards. 

Mimi