LDL QUILTERS

Feel free to talk about anything and everything re Let’s Do Lunch™.
margo
Master Member

LDL QUILTERS

Post by margo »

Hi All...

i think that i have identified at least four LDL quilters here.....There's snowbirdie, Carla, Queenie and me!  Are there others?  What kind of quilts do you make?

i do big free style abstract art quilts ...

margo
patsyfay
Master Member

Re: LDL QUILTERS

Post by patsyfay »

Hi,
I've been a quilter for a lot of years, but my eyes are no longer as good and they once were, so now I stick to crochet. I've made quilts for all four of my children, my two grandsons, specialty quilts for friends who ask me to make them out of their kids clothes, etc. I've made wall hangings and paper-piecing quilts and miniature quilts.  I wish I could still see to do it, but while I was able, I had a lot of fun!!

Pat
We are not human beings having a spiritual experience; we are spiritual beings having a human experience.

Forever Young
Master Member

Post by Forever Young »

I am a WANNNA-BE quilter.  My aunt has told me she will teach me.  Now all I have to do is find the time to learn.  I can stitch the top pieces together without any problem, but the quilting part is what I don't know how to do. 

Jeanne
Keep on...keeping on...on LDL..eating all the carbs and calories you want until full...and still lose weight.  Stay on board the train headed for...SKINNYTOWN!!!   Let's Do Lunch really works!!!
niki
Administrator

Post by niki »

i think that is SO cool to be able to quilt......i wish for the simpler life where women got together once a week to work on a quilt together....there are no artistic genes in the genetic pool made available to me........only musicians........niki
life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...it's about learning to dance in the rain..
CJ

Post by CJ »

I am the quilter that puts shame to the 'real' quilters. I can't do any of that fancy stuff that I see at craft sales and on display. I am self taught at sewing and quilting and if all else fails, I read instructions. That being said, my first attempt was (about 30 years ago) with left over material from years of other sewing projects. It was like a memory quilt that taught me which fabrics held up and which kinds didn't. It had every type of fabric and hundreds of colors in it. Very ugly, but very warm. 

I remember my oldest daughter (about 4) spilling something on her new quilt shortly after I finished it. In the meantime I also made her baby a matching one. When Brianna and I went to get her blanket out of the dryer, I had replaced her blanket with the babies and told her that "this is what happens when you spill on quilts." I didn't find out until about 5 years ago that she still thought it had shrunk that much and that I made her a new one. (yes, she's blond!!)

Once the girls were in school I never had time to make any and started again about 8 years ago. When I do make one they have mostly been rag quilts or whatever they are called, with the fringes. They are so easy. ANYONE can do it. People love them.

When I grow up I want to join a quilting club too! I've been invited but haven't been brave enough to take that first step yet. They have capabilities way over my head!
niki
Administrator

Post by niki »

Carla wrote:When I grow up I want to join a quilting club too! I've been invited but haven't been brave enough to take that first step yet. They have capabilities way over my head!

i think it's SO admirable that you accomplished so much all by yourself....go for it, carla....that's how you learn.......and DON'T wait until you grow up.....haha....................niki
life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...it's about learning to dance in the rain..
patsyfay
Master Member

Post by patsyfay »

Carla,
Any quilter will tell you that ANY QUILT is precious.  There is no such thing as one being better than another.  If your hands made it and love and affection are stitched into it, it is a great quilt.  Don't ever think that anything you have created is not as good as those at craft show displays. Your children and grandchildren will always remember those as coming from your heart...sort of like the love we put into making our LDL meals for our families.  Keep up the good work...quilting and cooking.

Pat
We are not human beings having a spiritual experience; we are spiritual beings having a human experience.

Queenie
Administrator

Post by Queenie »

Pat,

I totally agree with you about every quilt being precious, but I'll never forget - when I first started quilting (in my late 20's) I made my (now ex) mother-in-law a quilt.  We only saw her three or four times a year, and I was so tickled that I had made this for her.  When I presented it to her, she said, "What's this for?  I have plenty of blankets."  I was crushed.  So you know what?  I never made her another one!!  LOL!!

I don't quilt like the professional quilters - mine are just homemade - but I love every one that I do.  And they are all made with love!! 

Carolyn
My Weight Loss ProgressImage

John's Weight Loss ProgressImage

[b][i]"The journey of a thousand miles begins with the first step."
margo
Master Member

Post by margo »

Carla....i agree with Patsyfay....i am also self taught.  I caught the bug one day at the Senior Art class at the local art museum when i went to hang out there with my dad...now i have a stash that will gag a horse!  my quilts are crazy looking and they are not all squared and made with perfectly cut pieces of fabric.  I don't have the patience for that.  I love the unusual quilts....Adore the quilts of Gee's Bend....anyone know those?  They were made by poor ladies with whatever piece of fabric they could get their hands on...husband's overalls, etc.  They are works of art but they're not perfectly stitched like the traditional American style quilts..... I like the imperfect things....

I love the Amish quilts -- the colors are wonderful...

i love to lose myself in the quilting process....i love to touch the fabrics and experiment with them...

margo..
itsmimi

Post by itsmimi »

I am with Jeanne.  I wish I could quilt but I never learned.  My grandmother taught me how to knit but it's been years since I even did that.  It probably coincided with when I moved to Florida.  Cardigans and scarves aren't necessary any more.  It would be intriguing if all of you crafters could find a way to post your masterpieces on the picture section for the less gifted ladies like me to admire.

Mimi
snowbirdie
Master Member

Post by snowbirdie »

Hi All, Margo sent me pictures of her quilts. They are gorgeous! So colorful!  The disigns are beautiful. I have always admired her type of quilts but could never figure out how to do them. We just did the conventional ones. Good job well done Margo.
          judie
Cappy
New, but learning

Post by Cappy »

Hi!!!

I too am a crochet person.  I am not that good but it sure is fun.  It takes my mind off the every day STUFF!

Cappy
Queenie
Administrator

Post by Queenie »

Margo - I'd LOVE to see some of those pictures... if you can't post them, could you send them to my email?

Carolyn

margo
Master Member

Post by margo »

gosh....Snowbirdie, you're making me blush.... :-[

i don't know whether it's proper to put the link up here....but if it proper and the Administrator allows this to be posted, then if you you want to see them you can look at the website i'm working on at ModernArtQuilts.com.  Of course my intention is not to soliticit business -- just sharing what i do in order to keep myself sane (well...almost sane!  ;)) and to balance out the stress of the law practice....

Thanks and God bless
margo
Queenie
Administrator

Post by Queenie »

WOW! Margo---

Those quilts are gorgeous - and WAY out of MY league!!  (Mary, I think that they're ALL hers.)  Like I said, mine are just "old homemade quilts"........  I'm very impressed!!!

Carolyn

margo
Master Member

Post by margo »

Hi little Mary..

I made all of the quilts ...it's my web site (if i ever get a chance to finish it)...and have about 20 more quilts to put up...I am sure i wont get a chance to work more on the site until Hubby travels end of next month!

Thanks and God bless..
margo
CJ

Post by CJ »

My goodness woman! I've never seen quilts so full of art and creativity as yours are, Margo. Thank you for sharing. I look forward to seeing your new ones once you get them added to your site.
BradyBunchMom

Post by BradyBunchMom »

Me and my girls have done a little quilting...mostly easy rag quilts.  We are making denim ones (out of old blue-jeans) for my two youngest boys for Christmas (they have a "Cowboy" room.  I have enjoyed this thread and enjoyed seeing those quilts Margo!

Lovin LDL,
Julie