Cabbage Chipotle Turkey Soup (Modified from sausage!!!)

All our yummy soup recipes!
Leeannc

Cabbage Chipotle Turkey Soup (Modified from sausage!!!)

Post by Leeannc »

Just tried this for our family tonight and loved it!

1/2 head cabbage, sliced thin like slaw
2 onions, chopped
garlic to taste
1/2 c shredded carrots
1/2 c corn
Bush's Cannellini Beans, 1 can (white beans)
1 can diced tomatoes
8 c chicken broth
1 lb browned lean turkey meat
1 chipotle pepper or I use chipotle boullion cube
Oregano
Bay Leaves

Brown turkey meat and season w/salt and pepper.

Sauteed the onions and garlic in a little olive oil until wilted -- added the cabbage.  Stirred and let cook until wilted.  Added the carrots and let cook another couple of minutes.  Then added chicken broth, beans, tomatoes and corn. Add browned turkey.  Added salt, pepper, oregano and 2 bay leaves ---

Let come to a boil and then simmered for an hour or so. 
Last edited by Leeannc on May 16th, 2009, 10:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
LeeannC

Jeremiah 29:11
Gwennaford
Master Member

Re: Cabbage Chipotle Sausage Soup

Post by Gwennaford »

Hi again, Leeann.  Please post the ingredients in your turkey sausage.  We have never found one that is LDL acceptable.  I would be very surprised if Roger Troy give his official okey dokey to this one.  Here is what Chief of Food Police has to say about storebought turkey sausage:

Anyhow, back to the question, the turkey sausages in the stores are NOT acceptable on Let's Do Lunch, because you'd be amazed how much fat is in them.  They're very different to eating some lean skinless turkey breast.  Most also contain wheat or cereal fillers, sugars, etc.  Haneyclan, do a search on the recipes boards.  There are some good sausage recipes in the breakfast portion and in the main course section.  Chorizo, Italian Sausage, breakfast sausages.....we've got recipes for all of them!  For just a bit of effort in the kitchen, you can get the taste you love without all of the fattening ingredients.  Enjoy!

Mary

The problem is that with processed foods like this, there are usually additives & ingredients that we don't want to be eating.  You are much better off to search the recipe boards & find LDL Chicken Sausage and others made with your own freshly ground skinless boneless chicken and turkey breast.  Some of the recipes even have beans in them, but you would never know it. 

I like the spicy Turkey "Andouille" Sausage recipe I use in my gumbo.

Please go to the message board Home page, "Let's Do Lunch Community" type the word "sausage" into the search window.  You will come up with dozens of ideas for making your own delicious sausage recipes for breakfast & lunch main dishes, appetizers, soups, stuffings, etc.  Roger's favorite, Sinful Sausage, is the one that started it all.  If you can't find Morton's Meatloaf & Sausage Seasoning, look for a recipe that contains the herbs & seasonings you can substitute for it.

Happy eating!

Gwen
• Join me in the Let’s Do Lunch message boards!
ImageImage
Leeannc

Re: Cabbage Chipotle Turkey Soup (Modified from sausage!!!)

Post by Leeannc »

Thank you Gwen for the heads-up on the Turkey link sausage --- I HAD NO IDEA --- what a dummy -- it said turkey and I thought "great"!!  --- I should know better to read labels!!  I'm modifying to use lean ground turkey and just add some chipotle seasoning!!  Thank you!!
LeeannC

Jeremiah 29:11
Gwennaford
Master Member

Post by Gwennaford »

You are the greatest Leeann.  Now if you would just do one more tiny modification, it would send our Head Turkey into happyland.  He advocates ONLY boneless skinless chicken and turkey breast meat.  (He also insists that you grind it at home so you will always know exactly what's in it.... easy for him to say since Anita does all his meal prep.  LOL! 

Seriously, I ask at the meat counter for white meat ground turkey and it says 99% fat free on the package tag.  I don't think you can get any leaner than that.  But it is pricey - about $4.99/lb.  As much as I love turkey, I tend to lean toward chicken breast and/or tenders because they are more readily available & I can grind them in my little food processor if I need to.

Wow, I DO run on ...  Can't wait to try your recipe, Leeann.  Thanks for sharing!

Gwen
• Join me in the Let’s Do Lunch message boards!
ImageImage
Eljayne
Master Member

Post by Eljayne »

The cabbage is ready at our neighbors produce farm so I'm going to make this recipe with the 99% fat free ground turkey breast I found at our grocery store. You're right, it's pricey but it's the 20oz package rather than 1# pkg - quite the bargain!!!  Looking forward to this on Wednesday as today I'm doing the MONDAY Fruit and Soup Flush. Not sure if I'm going to do the Asian egg drop soup or Easy brown rice and vegetable soup. I have wild rice cooked as I'm making the stuffed peppers up for the freezer - and for hubby's supper. This WOE is so absolutely wonderful - so many recipes using ingredients that are accessible and affordable with easy prep/cooking instructions.  Life just couldn't get much better than life with LDL! :thumbsup: *hug* :kiss: :rose: :laughing: Lynda