Tried Truvia today

Get innovations here.
cindybydesign

Tried Truvia today

Post by cindybydesign »

Tried Truvia today. My first taste of stevia. I'm not a fan of the taste of artificial sweeteners and avoid them. I put one packet in my iced tea. One packet is equivalent to 2 tsp. sugar. I usually drink my coffee and tea unsweetened but I've found this is a good way to test artificial sweeteners. The initial taste is pleasantly sweet. Maybe a little like powdered sugar. The aftertaste isn't too bad, but is noticeable. It's better than NutraSweet and much better than Splenda :sick:. I wouldn't put Truvia in coffee or tea, it's not that good, but I will go ahead and try a little in recipes that need a little sweetness. It might be good in fruit smoothies for instance. Cindy
electricj1316
Master Member

Re: Tried Truvia today

Post by electricj1316 »

I was wondering if it was good but I was too scared to buy it and not like it. It is good to know that it is good.

Thanks for the info,
Tina
Tina

Jason
Mattie
tprouty
Master Member

Post by tprouty »

Hi Tina.

I tried the Truvia last night. Actually, I had bought it quite a long time ago, but never opened it. I don't use much sugar in my cooking -- I always preferred to buy it in ready-made junk food!  :wrong:  So I spent a good half hour trying to find where I had stashed it in a convenient place so I could try it some time.

Anyway, I used just a slight sprinkle on sliced fresh strawberries for dessert (instead of the Cool Whip I served my hubby). It was pretty good. Sweet, a slight aftertaste, but not an unpleasant one. I'll definitely use it again. I didn't get any of the licorice aftertaste that some have, but then, I like licorice.

Ideally -- try some before buying it, since some like it, some hate it. Beg, borrow, or............

It's expensive, but a nice, not-processed, low calorie alternative to the unending forms of sugar.

Hope you get a chance to check it out.

Terri
electricj1316
Master Member

Post by electricj1316 »

Thanks Terry!
Yea I haven't tried it yet because it is so expensive. I will surely give it a try. I like splenda so it sounds like I will like Truvia also.

Tina
Tina

Jason
Mattie
mom
Master Member

Post by mom »

I have never seen Truvia, but am able to get stevia and stevia plus(stevia with a fiber added) from our local wal mart sometimes and the health food store.  I like it on grapefruit, have yet to broil it but hear that is good to
mom
electricj1316
Master Member

Post by electricj1316 »

I've never heard of Stevia. Maybe it's not available where I live. Is it new?
I don't think I will try the broiled grapefruit, I'm funny I guess because I don't like my grapefruit sweet, I'm bad and put sea salt on mine! It's the only fruit I put salt on but that is just the way I have always ate my grapefruit since I was a kid. I think it's a southern thing because my mom also taught me to put salt on my watermelon and cantaloupe but I don't like them that way.

Tina 
Tina

Jason
Mattie
sweetiepie
New, but learning

Post by sweetiepie »

I agree on the southern thing...I live in South GA and we've always put salt on our fruit! I like most fruit plain, but watermelon and canteloupe almost always have salt! i usually prefer to have sugar on grapefruit, but since starting LDL I've been putting sea salt and it's not half bad!! Good luck to you!!
**Nikki**
electricj1316
Master Member

Post by electricj1316 »

Hey Sweetiepie!!
I live in Georgia too!! Small world!! I live in Lizella, about 20-30 mins away from Macon, where do you live?

Tina
Tina

Jason
Mattie
grambonnie5

Post by grambonnie5 »

I don't trust some of the artificial sweeteners out there. I do think Stevia is ok and can be found in health food stores and now in most grocery stores also. I know that Stevia comes from a plant in Paraguay or someplace but some of the others I worry that they may come out later and say they cause cancer or something. I think if we are trying to get processed food out of our bodies we should be careful with artificial sweeteners as well. Maybe I am wrong - don't know - but I don't want to take a chance. :thumbsup:
Be pretty if you are; be witty if you can; but be cheerful if it kills you!
isthis4me

Post by isthis4me »

ok so for those that have tried stevia, how does truvia compare? I am a die hard stevia girl, I even grow it :cool: and yah its a southern thing, I also live in GA ( 30mins outside of Macon in the Ville) :tongue:
electricj1316
Master Member

Post by electricj1316 »

Isthis4me,
Wow you live so close to me!! That's pretty cool! You are talking about Milledgeville right? I can be a little slow sometimes!! :laughing:
Tina
Tina

Jason
Mattie
isthis4me

Post by isthis4me »

yezzum Milledgeville *hug*
electricj1316
Master Member

Post by electricj1316 »

I was just in Milledgeville yesterday for a graduation!!
I was really close to you!!  :D
Tina
Tina

Jason
Mattie
EnJae
Master Member

Post by EnJae »

I use the KAL brand of Stevia. It has no added fillers. A tiny scoop of it equals a couple of tsp of sugar for sweetness.
When I heard about Truvia I assumed I'd love it since it is made from Stevia. I bought a box of it and tried. Couldn't stand it.
isthis4me

Post by isthis4me »

EnJae wrote:I use the KAL brand of Stevia. It has no added fillers. A tiny scoop of it equals a couple of tsp of sugar for sweetness.
When I heard about Truvia I assumed I'd love it since it is made from Stevia. I bought a box of it and tried. Couldn't stand it.

good ta know NJ I wont be buyin it then :sick:
EnJae
Master Member

Post by EnJae »

Yes, that doesn't surprise me. I didn't like Sweetleaf either. There was some other brand I tried too, don't remember the name. KAL is the first brand I tried that didn't have fillers and/or an after-taste.

I'll watch for the "In the Raw" brand.
NJ
electricj1316
Master Member

Post by electricj1316 »

Mary,
Can truvia be used for diabetics just like splenda? Or does it act just like real sugar? My mom is diabetic so I was just curious because I don't know anything about it. I would hate for her to buy it and it cause her sugar to sky rocket.

Tina
Tina

Jason
Mattie
EnJae
Master Member

Post by EnJae »

Stevia, which is what Truvia is made from, does not cause my blood sugar to fluctuate at all.
I think it'd be a safe choice for a diabetic.