Struggling Newbie

Feel free to talk about anything and everything re Let’s Do Lunch™.
tlynn

Struggling Newbie

Post by tlynn »

Hi Everyone,

First, I must say a HUGE THANK YOU to Roger Troy for sharing his experience, wisdom, and success for all of us. That said, I ordered the book 4 weeks ago, and started LDL immediately. I love everything about LDL. But, I am still struggling with a couple of issues. I hope this isn't TMI, but from reading the boards, everyone is so encouraging and helpful. Dieting isn't easy (as we all know) but especially difficult for someone who had never had to diet or lose weight. I was very very thin during my younger years (I'm 46 now) and ate whatever I wanted with little consequence. After having had a hysterectomy 10 years ago, my weight has ballooned. My problem is this.... no matter what diet I've tried (tried them all!!) I can not lose weight. It just will not come off, so I get discouraged and give up. I'm beginning to believe this may be due to hormonal imbalances. (or maybe it's just wishful thinking).
But on LDL, I have lost a small amount (3 lbs) after 2 weeks!! I thought, finally, it's a miracle!! Nothing, but nothing has worked for me. But alas, in the last 2 weeks no results. However, I did fall off the wagon so to speak, while camping out of town. But not drastically so. (Taco Bell - 2 taco's with chips & cheese dip, 2 Andes chocolate/mint candies).  I know one of my problem's is weighing daily, I just can't help it! I will flucuate 2-3 lbs daily. I know this is due to irregularity ( if you know what I mean, sorry again if this is TMI). I don't have a great deal to lose (30 lbs). Honestly, the only way I have lost any weight is if I get the flu for a couple of weeks. I love the idea of eating healthy foods and the resulting health benefits. I have cholesterol thru the roof and can't take statins, so I'm hoping this will help. I'm the only one in my family who is doing LDL. My husband ate a whole plate of tater-tots sitting right next to me on the sofa. Of course, he smacked my hand when I tried to grab one! lol  I am beginning to miss potatoe's, and bread. I really don't want to give up, truely!!! But I'm a carb addict and a sweetaholic!!! Thank goodness all the fresh sweet fruit helps with sugar cravings, but the carbs, oh my!!
I'm sorry to gab on, but really just needed to vent a little (pitty party). Thanks for listening. 
Tlynn, CA
electricj1316
Master Member

Re: Struggling Newbie

Post by electricj1316 »

Tlynn, I am so sorry that you are struggling so badly! I would like to know what it is that you are eating everyday and I am curious to see if you are eating enough of the ldl approved foods. You have to remember that this is not a diet but a healthy way of eating so make sure that you are not portion controlling. Do you think if you explained to your husband that it is hard for you to get over your cravings with the bad food in the house that he would be willing to try LDL with you? I didn't give my family a choice.  *evil* I am the one who does the shopping and cooking so I just got rid of all the bad stuff in the house and replaced it with the ldl stuff. I started cooking the ldl way and everyone had to eat it or go hungry. That may sound harsh but my family now loves ldl! They are not complaining now! If you stick to the plan the cravings for the bad carbs will eventually go away! PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE, PUT YOUR SCALE AWAY! I am going to put in a quote from our fellow ldl'er LP she says:

"Scale Hopping -  We don't do this here.  We don't have to.  I know many people are still struggling with this. Quite honestly, I am telling you that this is another addiction.  WHY do you want to place so much value on a number that a machine gives you?  When another machine can and will give you a completely different number?  You are NOT a number.  You are one of God's children, and hopping on and off a scale every day or even several times a day is not going to give you FREEDOM. He loves you and wants you to love yourself.  FOLLOW THE PLAN AS WRITTEN. As one of our funny guys on the boards once said "Scales are for fish!"  Please do yourself a favor and break your addiction to the scale before it breaks your spirit."

I think this was great of her to say for all the people who struggle with this! Thanks LP! I hope all of this helps and please don't give up! Everyone loses at different rates and if you stick to the plan you will eventually start seeing results. Just try to remember that you did not put this weight on overnight or in one month so it is not going to come off that fast.
God bless and I wish you happy ldl eating!

Tina
Tina

Jason
Mattie
DEBBIEWEBE

Post by DEBBIEWEBE »

Thank goodness all the fresh sweet fruit helps with sugar cravings, but the carbs, oh my!!

Sounds like you have the sweet carbs covered but you need to bulk up on the beans, corn, popcorn, lentils, and all the starchy carbs to combat your potato/bread cravings.  Eat corn thin sandwiches and snack on popcorn when your hubby is eating tator tots.  Dont let yourself get hungry or you will start craving old favorites until you eliminate your cravings totally with LDL.
needwife

Post by needwife »

DEAR TLYNN, PLEASE DO YOUR SELF A FAVOR AND THROW THE SCALES AWAY. THEY WILL DRIVE YOU CRAZY,

JUST FOLLOW THE PROGAM AND DO A FOOD JOURNAL SO THE FOOD POLICE CAN CHECK YOU OUT FOR NO-NOS AND YOU WILL LOSE THAT WEIGHT, I PROMISE YOU THAT.

I ALSO FOUND MYSELF AT A TACO-BELL ONE DAY AND I ORDERED A PINTO BEAN AND CHEESE BOWL , IT WAS THE BEST OF THE WORST THAT THEY HAD .

WE WILL ALL SLIP, BECAUSE WE ARE HUMAN, JUST DO YOUR BEST TO FOLLOW THE PROGRAM AND WE WILL SEE YOU IN SKINNYTOWN. GOOD LUCK TTYL NEEDWIFE  :thumbsup:
url=http://www.TickerFactory.%20%20(NEEDWIFE%20).com/weight-loss/wqTc32y/]Image[/url]
patsyfay
Master Member

Post by patsyfay »

Tlynn,

If you haven't checked with a doctor about LDL, maybe you should give that some thought. Also, there are other folks on the boards who had the same results you are having right off the bat.  Niki is one who tells about a very slow metabolism and Mary talks about a friend of hers who just couldn't get those first pounds off, but when she did, they just kept falling off. Please stay with it!  Even if you only lose one pound a week, which you seem to be close to, you will still lose 30 pounds in 30 weeks!!!  Pretty good, if you ask me!

Pat
We are not human beings having a spiritual experience; we are spiritual beings having a human experience.

t-rock
Master Member

Post by t-rock »

Hi Tlynn:

Don't give up!!!  The advice to throw away the scale is the best advice you can possibly get, and it has taken me a few weeks for it to sink in, not because I have been weighing, but because mine has been looking at me every morning, saying in a very seductive way "come on, get on, don't you want to know, I know you do".   I moved it to another room and whenever I walk by the guest room it speaks to me again (not literally, I don't want you guys to think I have lost it and am hearing voices, it's my metaphor).  I actually put it back in my room but still haven't gotten on it.  So yesterday, I did something else, inspired by RB Kayaking and her closet shopping comment.  I went in to my closet and took out four sizes of jeans that don't fit me (10,12,14,16), and they are hanging in my bathroom.  They are my new scale.  I am actually going to put the evil little metal digital troll in a cabinet in the guest bathroom or in the garage in a christmas decoration bin, since I actually am thinking that is the next time I might weigh myself.  Forget June 30th, why not December 30th.  I know what the right things are to eat on this program, and I will continue to come here for support.  I actually think it is a cool idea not to have to think about the scale at all, for once in my life.    You can do this Tlynn, just stay with it.  If you check out my journal, you can see that my husband has been in the past 24 hours playing sabateur, enabler, and derailer, and I am getting through it.   YOU CAN DO IT !!!!!!!!!

Tiss
Last edited by Anonymous on June 18th, 2009, 5:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tlynn

Post by tlynn »

Thank you all so much for your wonderful words of wisdom. My typical day starts with a fresh fruit smoothie, then lunch consists of El Pollo Loco charbroiled chicken (skin removed), pinto beans, cole slaw, and small side salad, then dinner is a fruit salad (ldl receipe)  and if still hungry tomato soup or popcorn. I love all beans, cabbage & soups. One of my problems is variety. My husband & I own a business and eat out lunch most everyday. I'm trying to find the time to make LDL meals to take with us. I have a feeling I may not be eating enough. What do you guys think?

The quote on "scale hopping" brought tears to my eyes. My husband, sitting beside me, looked at me and said "what's wrong", so I told him about posting.... he said (typical guy) I've been telling you for months to stop getting on the scale, why didn't you listen to me"? I replied, we've been married 18 years.. I stopped listening to you years ago!! Ha! That got me a look!! *evil* Thanks again, I feel renewed!!! :D
Jazmyn
Master Member

Post by Jazmyn »

tlynn wrote: (typical guy) I've been telling you for months to stop getting on the scale, why didn't you listen to me"? I replied, we've been married 18 years.. I stopped listening to you years ago!! Ha! That got me a look!! *evil*

LOLOL loved this!
Alright I am going to go hide mine right now too...c'mon let's do it!

Hang in there girl, it is all going to be really good!

~Jaz  *love*
Start Date 5/18/09
6/18/09 ~ 13lbs gone
7/18/09 ~ 5lbs gone
8/18/09 ~ 7lbs gone
9/18/09 ~ 6lbs gone
10/18/09 ~ 4lbs gone
11/18/09 ~ 2lbs gone
niki
Administrator

Post by niki »

tlynn wrote: I have a feeling I may not be eating enough. What do you guys think?

he said (typical guy) I've been telling you for months to stop getting on the scale, why didn't you listen to me"?

hi...........#1...you're really the only one to know wether you're eating enough food......as long as you feel you're eating until really full, you're fine....
              #2...THIS was the time for you to turn your volume back on and listen to your husband.....
wishing you success..............sincerely,niki
life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...it's about learning to dance in the rain..