Getting discouraged!

The place to go if you have a question that needs answered!
Bailey

Getting discouraged!

Post by Bailey »

Hello!  I've been on LDL for 5 weeks and have only lost 3 lbs.  I even am on a treadmill for 1 hr. a day.  For breakfast I have a banana and grapes.  For lunch it is usually beans with corn or chili with some cauliflower and for dinner I have fruit and about 3 or 4 nights a week I have popcorn.  What am I doing wrong.  I'm 57 and do take medication which my Dr. told me slows down my metabolism.  What do I need to be doing different?  Thanks for your help!
patsyfay
Master Member

Re: Getting discouraged!

Post by patsyfay »

Bailey,

It may be taking your body a while to catch up with LDL. I was 66 when I started LDL and was also taking lots of meds (Still do).  I've lost 55+ pounds and am working on losing a few more.  I averaged 1 pound per week.  It took me a year to lose 52 pounds, but it came off!!  You may step on the scale Monday and find you've lost 4 more pounds. 

Your menu looks perfectly fine...and I eat popcorn almost every day!!  When I began, I was determind to give this program 3 months of my life to see what might happen.  I haven't looked back since then.  Please give it some more time.  You won't be sorry!!

Pat
We are not human beings having a spiritual experience; we are spiritual beings having a human experience.

heretotheend

Post by heretotheend »

Bailey, I'm new to this WOE also,I'm in my third week.  Looks to me like you may not be eating enough. How much heavy protein  are you getting at lunch?  Are you eating until  full or even stuffed to carry you over til dinner?  I also take several medications  and I eat corn thins and popcorn everyday.

I'm no expert but this is what is working for me.

Martha
Jerzygrl09

Post by Jerzygrl09 »

Bailey - when are you on the treadmill? I have a slow metabolism as well and have been told by more than one personal trainer that it's best to do the exercises late afternoon, if possible. I know a lot of people exercise in the a.m. to get it out of the way, but honestly, I found that if I do the treadmill or stationary bike around 4 each day, that's when I see results. I haven't been doing much lately due to a recent surgery, but I'll be back in the groove soon. That afternoon exercise helps burn off the morning and noon meals and helps you get through dinner burning calories.

I am losing 1lb per week - which is slow and somewhat frustrating, but I too am giving it 3 months - I start week 9 on Monday. I wish you the best with this.
RB Kayaking
Master Member

Post by RB Kayaking »

Hey Bailey,

I'm 55 and have been on LDL almost a month and I seldom lost weight while exercising.  By eating the LDL way ,I've steadily lost inches--I refuse to get on the scale--I doubt that the dust bunnies under my bed would give it back to me anyway.

I have no cravings but I was a fruit and veggie, plus bread and pasta type of person.  Losing the bread and pasta has not been hard for me (surprise  :shock:).

Stick with it, if you are ever hungry be sure to eat more fruit or veggies--try out all the different bean recipes.  I'm totally in love with hummus.  I make it with chick peas, garlic flavored grapeseed oil, spices and lemon juice.  Put it on a corn thin and its to die for.

RB Kayaking
julie409
Master Member

Post by julie409 »

HI Bailey,

I am not an expert but I have some suggestions.

Check the sodium content of the things you are eating. Sometimes a lot of this can really derail us.
Drink more water. This will help push out the water if you are retaining and it also pushes out the fat that your body is burning.(Speeds metabolism)
Vary your exercise - try 20 or 30 minutes a day and see what happens. Also adding or switching to weight training will build muscle/speed metabolism/ improve your bone density, flexibility and posture. Heavy weights not necessary. Try to get your exercise from more activities rather than on the threadmill.
EAT MORE PROTEIN. You could be jeopardizing the muscle you have if you are not eating enough which will slow your met. more.
Keep a food journal and vary your foods to see if certain foods may be impeding your progress (like popcorn or Bananas or whatever). Ever one's body is different.

Ask your doctor for some assistance in determining how to combat the effects of the medication. Your age should not be much of an issue as a lot of us are in your marketing box.  :D

Julie :rose:
mom
Master Member

Post by mom »

Bailey: just a quick prayer for your success, a lot of us are over 50, and ldl works a little differently for each of us, but try posting your menus, not the amount you eat but what you eat, that way people (food police) will be able to help you see if you have any sticking points.  the other thing is to make sure you are eating enough and vary your diet, so your body gets a variety of nutrients, and doesn't get bored.  Eat until full everytime you are hungry, don't worry about how much at first, as your body realizes you are not starving it anymore, you will find it takes less and less to make you full, and keep you full for longer periods of time.
electricj1316
Master Member

Post by electricj1316 »

Bailey,

I didn't notice you mention any heavy protein for  your lunch. Make sure that you are eating plenty of lean protein at lunch until you are full. I always eat a good portion of meat at lunch before I eat anything else. That way you are not getting full on the veggies and beans and not eating enough meat. Also you have to remember that when you do the treadmill you are working your muscles and weighs more than fat. I'm curious to know if you are losing inches. Are your clothes getting bigger on you? Maybe you are gaining muscle and losing inches. I agree with what everyone else is saying, it sounds like you may not be eating enough.

Tina
Tina

Jason
Mattie
TXNavyMom72

Post by TXNavyMom72 »

I too am a newby and started approximately the same time as you.  I'm also a scale junkie!  This is the first "diet" I've actually stuck with.  I just wish the weight would fall off a little more consistently.  I think the biggest help is reading about all the successful stories and how easy it was for everyone.  For everyone out there, how do you get off the salt?  I love the stuff!  I have to have it on everything.  Is that why I'm not losing weight faster? 
electricj1316
Master Member

Post by electricj1316 »

TxNavyMom,
I have lost 20lbs in 7 wks and I love salt! Make sure that you use sea salt though. I cook with salt, I put salt on my grapefruits, and on my popcorn everyday and it hasn't stalled my weight loss. I think that everyone is different, some people may not lose as much while eating salt but I also drink plenty of water during the day to flush out any water weight. What is your usual daily intake like? I am curious to know if you are eating enough.

Tina
Tina

Jason
Mattie
TXNavyMom72

Post by TXNavyMom72 »

Thanks electric j for your reply..

My normal day is 1/4 seedless watermelon (with salt) and about a cup of grapes.  For lunch it's usually 8 oz of meat (ex lean hamburger, steak or chicken) frozen whole kernel corn and maybe peas...I eat the whole thing, no I don't share....love that corn!  :'(  For supper it's another 1/4 of watermelon and maybe some popcorn.  I might have 1 8oz cab of diet coke.  The rest of the day is water but not a lot.  Am I eating too much?  I really haven't seen a lot of change in my clothing.

Thanks for any input
turkkm
Master Member

Post by turkkm »

This is the way to eat, yippee!  I get to eat until full and don't have to measure a thing!  My weight loss has not been that speedy, but I am a happy eater. 

:tongue:  :D  :cool:  :drool:  :laughing:  *woot*

There are lots or reasons we lose at different rates.  I think each of our unique bodies lets go of extra weight in a different way.  I also think the rate at which you lose may depend somewhat on how much weight you have to lose.  How much water you drink or the type of exercise you do may have something to do with it also.  Just hang in there and committ to sticking with it for awhile. 

I will pray for those feeling a bit discouraged.  God bless!
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageFor we walk by faith, not by sight.
Clown Lady
Master Member

Post by Clown Lady »

Goodmorning
Please don't make your meal boring.  There is chicken done right, fish alot of ways, turkey and even steak once in a while.  Try a great big lean burger between two romane lettace leafs and all the trimmings.  WOW what a great experiance.  I don't even miss the bread.  It is what is inside the bread that is so good.  Make you meals fun and exciting.  My husband just looks at the plates I make and says that is why I can keep with LDL
Don't give up you can make.  The inches will fall off.    Watch the salt.  A killer
Donna
http://boards.letsdolunch.com/boards/ga ... _33_10.jpg
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wS4gwd3/]