Frozen grapes question

The place to go if you have a question that needs answered!
tarcyr
New, but learning

Frozen grapes question

Post by tarcyr »

So everyone talks about frozen grapes -- I have tried freezing green grapes, because those are my favorite before freezing... I just can't seem to get used to them ---  I have very sensitive teeth -- and my kids don't like them at all... What type of grapes should I be using?  Green, Red or Black?  Are any better than the others?

thanks!
tprouty
Master Member

Re: Frozen grapes question

Post by tprouty »

Hi tarcyr.

Welcome!

I have sensitive teeth, too, and have a hard time with foods that are frozen solid. We accidentally half froze some green grapes a week or so ago while traveling. The hotel fridge was set low, and the grapes I put in there for breakfast had ice crystals in them in the morning, but they weren't frozen solid. They were fantastic! Not too cold and solid for sensitive teeth, but still kind of like a popsicle. Maybe you could try freezing them for a short time -- like half an hour or so before you plan to eat them.

Another favorite way we use frozen grapes is to make "ice cream." Black grapes seem to have the most sweetness, so they pack a big flavor punch, but red or green grapes work, too. I just put however much I plan to eat in the food processor bowl with the metal blade attachment. Turn the food processor on, and add a little unsweetened juice to keep things moving (but not enough to make it too thin). Ruby grapefruit juice is my favorite juice to use, but any unsweetened juice would work, I'm sure.

My hubby, who is not into "diet" foods, loves this grape "ice cream." And best of all, it's so easy!... I take that back. Best of all, it tastes decadently delicious!  ;)

But if you'd rather have the grapes fresh (they're great that way, too!), by all means, do what works best for you. Just because some people adore them, doesn't mean everybody has to do the same. Let's Do Lunch is all about finding what works for you and keeps you happily on the train to finding great health and your best weight!

God bless,
Terri
Clown Lady
Master Member

Post by Clown Lady »

I find that the grapes have to be sweet to begin with.  It is a taste you have to get used to.  I also Freeze oranges.  Take them out and nuk them for 20-25 sec.  cut into 6 sections and eat with a spoon.  Just like orange sorbet
Donna
http://boards.letsdolunch.com/boards/ga ... _33_10.jpg
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wS4gwd3/]
tprouty
Master Member

Post by tprouty »

Oooh, Donna Faye!

Nice idea with the oranges. I love orange sherbet or sorbet. Have been planning to figure out how to do an orange cream smoothie without dairy -- that still tastes like the real thing! I'll try your frozen oranges!

Terri
tarcyr
New, but learning

Post by tarcyr »

Oh I love the grape ice cream and frozen orange ideas. 

thanks!
greenheron

Post by greenheron »

When I first tried frozen grapes, straight from the freezer, I thought "No way...too hard."  I tried them again later, after letting them sit out for just a few minutes, and they're great!  They are just like little fruity sherbet orbs.  I like red grapes the best, but I've had some wonderful black grapes, too.  I didn't care for the black ones in my smoothie as much, since they seem to have thicker skins that didn't grind up enough..got a mouthful of skins pieces.  (No Vitamix at my house, alas.)

Now if I bring a bowl of frozen grapes within reach of my husband, I have to share.
grambonnie5

Post by grambonnie5 »

My teeth are a little sensitive also but I also take them out for a few minutes before eating and they are perfect. I was craving something (didn't know what) this morning and remembered the grapes I had in the freezer and got them out and they took care of the craving.
Be pretty if you are; be witty if you can; but be cheerful if it kills you!