Missing meat

The place to go if you have a question that needs answered!
Gammamel
New, but learning

Missing meat

Post by Gammamel »

So far (into my second week) I'm doing great.  However, since I now have my main meal at lunch, I'm finding that I really miss meat in the evening.  For lunch I usually have a large salad with some grilled chicken either on it or on the side.

For dinner I've been having a smoothie and then some soup.  Then, If I'm still hungry, I have popcorn. However, I'm finding that lunch is way more satisfying and I miss having some kind of meat for dinner.  Tonight I'm going to try sauteeing a large portabella mushroom cap in just a touch of olive oil and have a salad on the side.  But that's just one possible solution -- won't want that too often.  Any other suggestions?
niki

Re: Missing meat

Post by niki »

hi mel...i would say you need to eat more protein at lunchtime...remember,you're not on a diet...make sure you eat until you're full...you could eat soybeans at dinner sometimes to really satisfy you for the need for protein...or you could make bean soup or cold bean salad with a variety of beans......i just made tomato salad with artichoke hearts and used soybeans...it came out great..................niki   
Gammamel
New, but learning

Post by Gammamel »

I've been eating lots of beans for dinner in my soup.  This weekend I made Mary's Tomato Soup but added a package of frozen Italian style vegetables plus a can of corn.  It's very good and filling, but I still want some chicken or a burger or something.
rhernan216

Post by rhernan216 »

i had the same dilemma being a good ole boy from the south and needed my "stick to my ribs" meal at dinner too. On the days i swap LDL i eat only soup and veggies with no fruit at lunch...and for supper i have my burger patties or steak with veggies. again this is only a couple of nights a week and i have been able to steadily lose weight. the key is eating until i am full at lunch on those days and if at all possible eat before 6:30 pm on the nights i eat meat. this way i don't feel like i am denying myself anything and eat until I am full. I have found i can only tolerate fruit in the mornings or at lunch but not any in the evenings. Does not sit too well in my digestive tract if i eat it at night.

rh
Richard Hernandez
niki

Post by niki »

hi mel...in the beginning,roger tells everyone that they can eat all they want of all the allowable foods until the cravings are gone....so you really can eat ANY allowable food whenever you want(including protein at dinner,if that's what you want to do)but he also then tells people that they will lose slower....so eat protein at dinnertime if that's what you want to do,but i still recommend that you eat more protein at lunchtime and eat completely until full while you wait for this craving to cease......niki
Queenie
Administrator

Post by Queenie »

Mel,

I'm more of a newcomer than you, but maybe if you added some soup with that lunch it would take care of that.  Every single recipe that I've tried from this board has been wonderful, and I think that there really IS something to about a warm bowl of soup keeping one fuller.

Hey, do you know that we have the same birthdate??    ;D

Carolyn
My Weight Loss ProgressImage

John's Weight Loss ProgressImage

[b][i]"The journey of a thousand miles begins with the first step."
rhernan216

Post by rhernan216 »

i just had a huge bowl of tomato soup w/pureed pinto beans, mixed veggies and strips of steak in it..I am so full and surprisingly that will hold me over until dinner. My biggest accomplishment thus far has been going from lunch to dinner with no snacks as Roger suggested in the book. When i eat this way and eat until I am full at lunch going without mid day/afternoon snacks is a snap. before LDL i was always good for a King Size Snickers Bar and a 20 oz. Bottle of Coke Classic w/ Lime. Those days are gone and the little deli in the basement of my office building even quit stocking the Coke w/ Lime because he said I was the only one that bought it. I drank no less than 2 per day.

rh
Richard Hernandez
Gammamel
New, but learning

Post by Gammamel »

Thanks, everyone.  And Queenie -- it's cool that we have the same b-day.

I'm going to try your suggestions but I think one of the problems is that I'm getting tired of soup.  I've been eating it until it's coming out my ears.  It's delicious, but I'm not used to having soup every single day and it's getting old.

Tonight I'll fix the portabello mushroom.  Tomorrow I'll try adding a little more protein to my lunch.  If this craving continues, I'll just add a little lean chicken to my dinner until I get rid of the craving.  Or maybe try switching lunch and dinner every second or third day for a while.

Thanks,
Mel
niki

Post by niki »

mel,have you tried any of the cold bean salads?...if you're tired of soup,they might be a nice change.....as i said,i made tomato salad with artichoke hearts and since i had all those soybeans in my fridge,i added them instead of opening a couple of cans of beans.....AND,do you eat soynuts?....that's another great way of getting those beans in and a great source of protein(which will also satisfy the protein craving)...........
  if none of that stuff works,just keep eating the ldl allowable foods that you like until you want that other stuff again....noone wants to stay on ANY program where they have to eat stuff they don't like....................niki
Gammamel
New, but learning

Post by Gammamel »

For lunch today I had Roger's de-lettuced salad with some rotisserie chicken.  I love three-bean salad, beets, etc..  And I have a container of roasted soy nuts w some raisins on my desk, which I munch on all day.  But I haven't tried the tomatoes and artichokes.  I love artichokes, and tomatoes are really good right now.  I'll try that, too, with some beans added.  Thanks.
Gammamel
New, but learning

Post by Gammamel »

Update:  Last night I had baked beans, corn and tomatoes for dinner.  Nice change from the soup.  I think next time I make the beans I might try adding a little liquid smoke.  Also, what about bacos bacon bits?  Are those okay? 

I like the soup, but I think I have to be careful not to burn myself out on it.

The large portabello cap sauteed in a little olive oil w garlic also was yummy.  Almost like having meat.

Mel
nyKath

Post by nyKath »

Hi Mel. Don't have Bacos here but I'm sure they're a totally manufactured product and have all kinds of sugars, additives, etc. in them. If you really insist on bacon flavor in something, you can get the jars of  Hormel 100% real bacon pieces with no added sugars (I'm assuming). Or just cook up a pack of bacon, drain well on paper towels, and chop them into little pieces and bag them up for the freezer. Then you can just take out a spoonful when you need them. Pork products really are to be avoided, though, and bacon just might have some sugars in the curing process, too, so read the labels carefully. High fructose corn syrup is everywhere! ...nyKath
niki

Post by niki »

if i were to eat bacon now,i would probably dream that i was on a low carb diet again instead of the dreams i have on let's do lunch where i dream i'm dishing out my favorite junk foods to other people.........
  there are so many spices...so many beans.....experiment.....i wouldn't eat any of those bacon products.....i eat lean boneless pork occasionally to give my palate a change,that's it..................niki
grammylaurie
New, but learning

Post by grammylaurie »

Hi Mel,
One thing that I have been doing to help me is to make a big veggie stir fry for my dinner.  I am with you I love soup and always have but.... you know I started about the same time you did and I need something to sink my teeth into. The stir Fry really help.  I did lay there one night and kept thinking about something to chew. I got up and ate a handful of frozen grapes. You know at first you get the idea that you are eating malted milk balls when you are eating frozen red grapes. Now one of my grandsons think they are great. Also when I make my smoothie for breakfast I make a little extra and put it in the fridge and as soon as I get home I drink that. My husband has been real good about eating stuff that I choose not to eat during his lunch when I am not with him. And this morning he told me how proud of me he was and that he is going to try to eat a little better. Praise God. It will be so much easier to have him with me on this.
Laurie