Special Chili

Great filling main dish recipes!
abundantlyblessed

Special Chili

Post by abundantlyblessed »

I tried this recipe tonight minus the macaroni plus some ground chicken.  It was really good.  I added some spaghetti squash to my serving; I had some in the freezer from before it went out of season.  (I was able to get some spaghetti squash this week at the grocery store. WhooHoo!)

Anyway, here's the recipe and website I copied it from:
http://www.westbrae.com/recipes/021.php

Special Chili

Serves 8-10

1-1½ pounds ground chicken
1/2-1 cup Westbrae Natural® UnChicken Broth (or Chicken Broth)
1 large onion, chopped
½-1 green pepper, chopped
½-1 red pepper, chopped
2-3 cloves of garlic
1 teaspoon chili powder
1/3 teaspoon each of cumin and salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1 can tomatoes, undrained and chopped
1 can (15 oz) Westbrae Natural Kidney Beans, drained and rinsed
1 can Westbrae Natural Golden Corn, drained
1 (8 oz) can tomato sauce
1 (6 oz) can tomato paste

In large skillet bring broth to boil and add onion, green and red peppers and garlic.

Gently simmer covered for 10 minutes. Check occasionally to prevent burning; add more broth if necessary.

Add remaining ingredients. Stir to mix and simmer to blend flavors.

If necessary add additional broth to keep the mixture moist. Add pre-cooked spaghetti squash, if desired, and mix well.

Serve immediately [glow=red,2,300]or[/glow] refrigerate and bake when needed at 350°F for 40 minutes or until bubbling and well heated.

Hope you like it as much as we did!
Michele
Last edited by abundantlyblessed on August 16th, 2006, 6:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deloris

Re: Special Chili

Post by Deloris »

I like this recipe but I don't know what is spaghetti squash

Deloris ???
niki

Post by niki »

hi deloris...i've never eaten it either..i'm just waiting for pumpkin season to see them...then i'm going to try them.....coming up now in the fall.......it's a squash and when you cook it and cut it open,the inside is like strands of spaghetti.....niki 
Deloris

Post by Deloris »

Hi Ldl Gang,

I'm trying the Special Chili today and it make enough for me to eat off of it for a month!!! Thank you
Let me introduce myself to the gang, I saw the author on TV last week and order the book. I can't  waiting for it to come to get start. I'm about 50 lbs over weight, but will be happy to lose 30 Lbs
I went to the Doctor today for a checkup and she order blood work so that I can know what my cholesterol is and if I have diabetes. I saw on the board where some people cholesterol have come down! The Doctor  said that if I lose enough weight I can come off of the high blood pressure medicine. Now that will be a blessing!!

Deloris 8)
Last edited by Deloris on August 23rd, 2006, 3:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
joecaracappa
Master Member

Post by joecaracappa »

Deloris:

From what I read on these postings, it seems that someone like yourself (all of us actually) that needs to lose 50 and sets a goal of 30 ends up losing 60 or more! I do believe that because this is a change of lifestyle that once you reach your goal, there will really be no reason to change what you are doing and you will continue to lose weight.

Made a double batch of this chili last night too. Good stuff!

Joe
CHI MANGIA BENE, VIVE BENE.
Who eats well, lives well.
abundantlyblessed

Post by abundantlyblessed »

joecaracappa wrote:
Made a double batch of this chili last night too. Good stuff!

Joe

Glad you liked it Joe!  I'm so glad that I could contribute something useful to all these wonderful recipes here.  I'm slowly creating a new menu base.  I just have to have a few more like the Shepherds Pie and Tamalie Pie to round out my month.  :)

Michele