Does anyone have a good LDL curry recipe?

Great filling main dish recipes!
SweetRose
Master Member

Does anyone have a good LDL curry recipe?

Post by SweetRose »

I've looked but can't find one.

TIA!

SweetRose :rose:
SweetRose
abbys mom

Re: Does anyone have a good LDL curry recipe?

Post by abbys mom »

My family eats Chicken Curry over rice, and I put mine over Bill's Mashed Potatoes.  Very filling.

I cook mine in a crockpot with the cubed raw chicken, onions, oil & curry powder (& also a little water but you get the juice from the onions).  I put it on before I leave for work and it's done when I get home.  Like Mary said, VERY easy & good.

Kathy
SweetRose
Master Member

Post by SweetRose »

Thanks so much! I love chicken curry so I'm going to try Little Mary's recipe! Kathy, I almost forgot about the crockpot for this. Wow, to come home and have a wonderful curry dish waiting for me -yum!

I'll remember to go to the home page to do a search. Thx Roger!

SweetRose :rose:
SweetRose
donnanet
New, but learning

Post by donnanet »

I LOVE curried chicken!!  Thanks for the info! :thumbsup:
JerrieH

Post by JerrieH »

Abby's Mom - Do you have a specific recipe you use for your crockpot curry chicken ?  I love curry and I have never made curry chicken before.  I thought it would be nice to try it in the crockpot, but wondered how much you put into the crockpot of each item.  Thanks Jerrie
abbys mom

Post by abbys mom »

Thanks for asking.

1.  I add a little olive oil in the bottom of the crockpot
2.  Then just take lots of chicken breasts (like about 4 large breasts) and cube them.  Most of the time they are frozen but cut-able. Put that on top of the oil. 
3.  I dice up a couple of onions, depending on how much you like onion and put that on top of the chopped chix breasts. 
4.  Use about 1/2 a jar of curry powder and just a little bit of water but the onions give off their own juice. 

I just use those ingredients but after cooking 8 hours, the chicken is more shredded than anything.  My husband puts his over rice with some chutney or a tad of apricot or peach jam to mix the spicy and sweet.  I put mine over mashed butter beans.  Lastly, of course I salt & pepper each individual serving to each's liking.

Hope you enjoy and please let me know how you liked it.

Kathy (Abby's Mom)
JerrieH

Post by JerrieH »

Thanks Kathy for posting your recipe for the curry chicken.  I was really surprised it takes 1/2 jar of curry.  I don't think I have ever put more than a teaspoon of curry in any recipe I've every made with it.  I guess by a little water, you mean a cup or two.  I hope to try it within the next few days.  Thanks again for posting it.  Jerrie :)
LINDA RN
Master Member

Post by LINDA RN »

Chicken Curry
Adam Macchia
Prep Time:30 mins
Total Time:1 hr 35 mins
Provided By: Marcus Samuelsson

Ingredients:
  • 1 star anise 
    1 bay leaf
    2 cloves 
    1 tablespoon curry powder   
    3 pounds boneless, skinless chicken (white and dark meat), diced   
    2 tablespoons olive oil   
    1 red onion, chopped 
    1 2-inch piece of ginger, chopped 
    2 garlic cloves 
    3 tomatoes, cut into pieces   
    1 cup coconut milk  Not LDL Approved
    5 cups water 
    2 carrots, cut into 1/2-inch pieces 
    1 Asian pear, peeled and diced fine (or any other very firm pear) 
    juice of 2 limes   
    jalapeno peppers, chopped

Directions
Season chicken with salt and pepper

Heat olive oil in a large pot. Add chicken.
Add in onion, ginger, garlic and carrots. Sauté until the onions are translucent, about 5 minutes. Combine spices and add to the pot. Stir over medium heat till spice is fragrant. Add minced jalapeños.
Pour in coconut milk and water. Simmer for 20 minutes, and then add the tomatoes and pears. Finish with lime juice.

Read more: http://www.kitchendaily.com/recipe/chic ... z1EyFrqFOq
Linda
"And ye shall eat in plenty, and be satisfied, and praise the name of the LORD your God, that hath dealt wondrously with you: and my people shall never be ashamed. Joel 2:26

Taste and see that the Lord is good...
abbys mom

Post by abbys mom »

Start out with 1/4 jar of curry, you can taste it and see if it needs more and it wouldn't take long to blend in if you added more later but we like it spicy.  About the water, really only maybe 1/2 cup because the onions leave a lot of juice and keeps the moisture in there with it covered for the day.  It's easier to add more water if needed at the end but you don't want to end up as soup.  Sorry I just eyeball it.  I will have to write down exact measurements next time I make it.  I think I end up with almost 1/2 chicken, 1/2 onions (maybe slightly more chicken for my proportions)

Kathy
JerrieH

Post by JerrieH »

LindaRN - thanks for posting the curry chicken recipe with the nice photo.  It looks very good.  I will have to try it.

Abbysmom - thanks for the info on your recipe.  I made your recipe today, before I seen you last posting, explaining about the water etc.  I added two cups of water because I wasn't sure about the amount.  Wow, the onions really do release a lot of water.  I was concerned that by putting in too little water, that it would dry up in the slow cooker, but that wasn't the case at all.  I did put in half a jar of curry.  The rececipe was very good.  In order to make it a little thicker (since I had too much liquid in mine) I added a can of mashed beans.  We had company over tonight and I served it to them, and everyone liked it.  It was really easy to make.  I did put in a tiny bit of sweetner.  Thanks again.

Jerrie :)
CodingQueen
Master Member

Post by CodingQueen »

This is one of my favorites...CQ

Ingredients:

3 tablespoons coconut oil
1 1/2 pound butternut squash, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
1 large onion, chopped
1 carrot, chopped
1 celery rib, chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 tablespoons minced peeled ginger
1 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons curry paste
1 tablespoon curry powder
1 teaspoon ground turmeric
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon chili powder
1/4 teaspoon Stevia
1 can tomato puree
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1 cup red lentils, picked over and rinsed
2 quarts water (may use stock or half and half)
1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice, or to taste
salt and pepper to taste

Directions:

Heat oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add squash, onion, carrot, celery, garlic, ginger, and 1 teaspoon salt, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are softened and beginning to brown, about 15 to 20 minutes.

Stir in curry paste, curry powder, turmeric, cumin, chili powder, Steiva, tomato puree and 1/4 teaspoon pepper and cook, stirring frequently, another 5 minutes.

Add lentils and water and simmer, covered, until lentils are tender, 25 to 40 minutes.

Stir in lemon juice and season with salt and pepper to taste.
abbys mom

Post by abbys mom »

Jerrie, glad to hear you liked it.  It's a very simple one but we love it.  Sorry I hadn't gotten your message until it was too late :<  Hope w/ the mashed beans it worked out a little better for your guests.

All, didn't know there were so many good variations.

Kathy
JerrieH

Post by JerrieH »

Kathy - No problem, it was still very good.  We really liked it.  Thanks  Jerrie :)