Leftover Baked Potatoes

The place to go if you have a question that needs answered!
mgoben

Leftover Baked Potatoes

Post by mgoben »

Ok, I know Roger has said that leftover baked potatoes should be kept room temperature.  Is that in a storage bag, paper sack, or au naturale?  I'm just concerned about bacteria formation.

Also, what is the preferred method of re-heating?  Oven, microwave, breathe heavily as close as possible to said potato?

Please advise...

Thanks.
yw82bthin

Re: Leftover Baked Potatoes

Post by yw82bthin »

This post made me recall reading an article years ago about a man who was sickened by a left over baked potato that had been stored in the foil it was baked in.  The botulism that formed on that potato landed him in the hospital near death's door for months!  I just googled "baked potato bacteria" and one link led to a food safety site that stated the following:

Because pototoes are grown in the ground, the spores that cause botulism can survive on them. The spores can grow potatoes that are wrapped in foil, baked, and left in the foil for periods after baking. The foil creates an oxygen-reduced environment. This, coupled with warm room temperatures and moisture, create a prime environment for the bacteria to grow. Potatoes baked in foil and not immediately consumed should be removed from the foil and stored in the refrigerator.

Please keep this in mind if you have left over baked potatoes!
mgoben

Post by mgoben »

THAT is what I am afraid of.  SO, help me out, Roger!  How do I store the leftover baked potato if I cannot put it in the fridge?
CodingQueen
Master Member

Post by CodingQueen »

RT,

That's why it's best to refrigerate any leftover potatoes and make a cold dish later. I found the following link for some leftover red potatoes. I'm sure baking potatoes would work as well. I also added some fresh garlic and salt and pepper to the recipe.

http://allrecipes.com//Recipe/balsamic- ... etail.aspx

CQ
Last edited by CodingQueen on May 3rd, 2011, 7:21 am, edited 1 time in total.