Are figs legal?

The place to go if you have a question that needs answered!
yoyodieter
New, but learning

Are figs legal?

Post by yoyodieter »

I have sen many posts on the fig issue. Dried figs are very sweet and I can see those being a problem. I had some fresh figs recently and they were delicious. Surely they have to be legal- less sweet than a pineapple and loaded with fibre!
LINDA RN
Master Member

Re: Are figs legal?

Post by LINDA RN »

As close to goal as you are, I would say go for it....the fresh ones. Most of us can only get the dried kind, so that should be avoided. Try it and see how they do you. Report any effects on appetite or weight.
Linda
"And ye shall eat in plenty, and be satisfied, and praise the name of the LORD your God, that hath dealt wondrously with you: and my people shall never be ashamed. Joel 2:26

Taste and see that the Lord is good...
Charlotte C.

Post by Charlotte C. »

I would think that figs would be ok, but not 100% sure.
                                                  Charlotte
LINDA RN
Master Member

Post by LINDA RN »

The only figs I have ever eaten were in Fig Newtons.....definitely not legal. Would be interested in tasting fresh figs though.
Linda
"And ye shall eat in plenty, and be satisfied, and praise the name of the LORD your God, that hath dealt wondrously with you: and my people shall never be ashamed. Joel 2:26

Charlotte C.

Post by Charlotte C. »

LOL!  Linda I use to eat a lot of Fig Newtons...... the" FAT FREE" kind. I use to think fat free meant eat all you want. Boy was I wrong. But now I have seen the light thur LDL. I do like fresh figs. Have not had any in years.
                                                                                      Charlotte
niki
Administrator

Post by niki »

fresh figs are SO delicious.....and, buying them from the store is not good enough.........your own fig tree is the way to go...i TRIED this but i didn't wrap burlap around the tree in the winter and it died.....we went to someone's house after my son's football game and it was a house they'd just bought and it had a huge fig tree in the back yard.....i took some, but she didn't even care for them and told me to take as many as i wanted.....SO sorry i only took a few......for any of you that live in warm climates, buy a fig tree...
life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...it's about learning to dance in the rain..
LINDA RN
Master Member

Post by LINDA RN »

Good to see you, Niki,
We were growing a fig tree in a pot for several years and getting ready to plant it.
DH just told me the other day that it did not survive the winter this year.
Will have to tell him about the burlap.
Linda

niki
Administrator

Post by niki »

actually, my friend, who has a green thumb, bought one at the same time i did, but she kept it in a pot and put it in her garage when it got cold.....i might buy one and do the same thing......i really can't be bothered covering it, although it DOES sound easy enough....it's just that when the time comes to cover it, i have other things on my mind...
life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...it's about learning to dance in the rain..
witheraway1
Master Member

Post by witheraway1 »

FIG Trees do GREAT in California....Fresh Figs are the best! I love them, but haven't had any for a while. I really don't care for dried fruit most are too sweet to me.
LINDA RN
Master Member

Post by LINDA RN »

Ours in a pot set out all winter, just as it had other winters, but this year did not come back.
Linda

witheraway1
Master Member

Post by witheraway1 »

Linda, are the tornado's near you? My husbands family is in Okla. Spend a lot of time in the storm cellars. 15 blocks from my husbands sister it wiped out 3 whole blocks.
niki
Administrator

Post by niki »

LINDA RN wrote:Ours in a pot set out all winter, just as it had other winters, but this year did not come back.

you mean you kept it in a pot inside and you put it outside in the spring and it didn't come back at all?...i was just outside and i see a growth from my fig tree with some leaves growing out of it..so actually, my fig tree that's been in the ground for a number of years isn't dead exactly, but just a little sprout in the ground...   
LINDA RN
Master Member

Post by LINDA RN »

Niki,
we kept it in a pot outside year round. Now that you mention it, i think we brought it inside the first winter. Then we may have left it out the next, but covered it with plastic. It survived the next last couple without being covered, but this past winter was too much.

Whither,
those storms started forming just over our heads and then moved odd. All we got was a little sprinkle. Problem was daughter left around 3:30 headed for OKC and just cleared the city ahead of the storms. Then son was on his way home driving straight into the path of the storms. He pulled in under an overpass to let it go over him. There was circulation in it just 20 miles ahead, but thank God  it moved north, there was a break in the cells, and he was able to punch on through safely. Really tore up towns 60-100 miles north. Those who died tried to ride it out in their homes instead of a shelter.
Last edited by LINDA RN on May 26th, 2011, 6:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Linda

witheraway1
Master Member

Post by witheraway1 »

Well, I am glad you and family are ok,,,It was BAD
crickadoodle
Master Member

Post by crickadoodle »

Thanks, Wither, for asking Linda that question.  I was wondering about her myself.  

Linda, am so glad you are fine and all your dear family too.  

We really need rain here, but if a tornado has to come with it, I'd rather wait a little longer.  I'm thinking the lack of rain might save some in our area from the flood waters, though, so that is a good thing.  I think our lake camp is still OK, but we haven't been out there

Oh, and to keep on topic -- I think fresh figs would be fine to eat.  They grow in our area and are delicious.  I haven't had them in years, though.  My husband told me the other day that there is a tree behind his shop that still produces.  I didn't realize that, so I need to check it out for free figs!!  I am surprised I never noticed it.
Last edited by crickadoodle on May 26th, 2011, 2:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LINDA RN
Master Member

Post by LINDA RN »

At nearly 9.00/lb for dates, I can't really afford to eat until full of them, so they remain an occasional treat.
They really are a more delicious treat than brownies!
I feel as if I have been treated and feel indulged without the guit of having the grains in the sweets I used to indulge in.
And fruit just never leaves me craving more. I just never liked raisins as well as I like dates!
Today I enjoyed frozen fruit smoothie. Yummers!
Linda

JerrieH

Post by JerrieH »

I read a diet book years ago that had a recipe for "pecan pie", wherein it only consisted of a pecan and a date.  While pecans and dates are not LDL approved, eating a pecan and a date together is certainly much lower in calories than pecan pie, and every bit as sweet (with natural fruit sugar), and the sweet pecan flavor is kinda similar to pecan pie.  Jerrie :)
LINDA RN
Master Member

Post by LINDA RN »

Oh, Jerrie, what a great alternative to pecan pie!
I think I will remove pit from date andpush in a pecan half. One or two as desert with coffee after a holiday meal. Know that is alot healthier anyway. Pecan pie too sweet for me. Apple or pumpkin my holiday faves.Glad there is an LDL alternative. DH likes pecan pie. I think he will really go for this idea.
Linda

witheraway1
Master Member

Post by witheraway1 »

Dates are GREAT. They grow a lot of them in plam springs not too far from me. I have a great recipe for date nut cake which we can't eat. Have not made it in years. But so moist. Oh well,