Whats everyone reading now?

Feel free to talk about anything and everything re Let’s Do Lunch™.
snowbirdie
Master Member

Whats everyone reading now?

Post by snowbirdie »

Hi All,
     Whats everyone Reading? Got some recommendations for a good read? I have been reading some Amish stories. I read a two book series about a group of Amish back at the turn of the century who got together and moved from Ohio to pleasant valley in Mexico I believe the author is Dale cramer. If you are interested in reading about the Amish and want the names of the books I will get them for you. I read so much I often cant remember the names of books and have to look them up.       Judie

although these are fiction they come from the truth as there is still a large group of Amish in Mexico.
LINDA RN
Master Member

Re: Whats everyone reading now?

Post by LINDA RN »

Didn't know there were Amish in Mexico. I grew up in Ohio just north of Amish country and my Aunt and Uncle had a farm near Howe Indiana that had alot of Amish as neighbors.
Linda
"And ye shall eat in plenty, and be satisfied, and praise the name of the LORD your God, that hath dealt wondrously with you: and my people shall never be ashamed. Joel 2:26

Taste and see that the Lord is good...
snowbirdie
Master Member

Post by snowbirdie »

hi  I didnt know either. When I read these books I then went to the puter and looked up the facts which I found very interesting.    Well Linda what are you reading?
jopaul

Post by jopaul »

I'm reading "The Rope" by Nevada Barr. Here's the synopsis for those of you who like suspense/thrillers:
Fans of Nevada Barr's long-running series of novels about park ranger Anna Pigeon are in for a slight but enjoyable detour with "The Rope." Instead of advancing the series in time, it takes us back to the beginning, when Anna, in 1995, first gets involved in ranger work as a seasonal employee on the shores of Lake Powell. The novel opens with Pigeon's co-workers wondering why she's disappeared, and some thinking she skedaddled back to New York after finding the work too difficult.

The truth is far different. Anna is lying naked, her head aching from a blow and one arm dislocated, at the bottom of a "jar" -- a smooth-sided canyon that can only be accessed or escaped by a ladder that Anna doesn't have. As the sun beats down, she finds what appears to be a miracle -- a canteen containing water. Anna drinks it and sleeps -- the water was drugged. When she wakes, she finds the word "whore" carved into the flesh of her thigh.

How Anna escapes her prison and unravels the clues to find the identity of her assailant form the basis for a mystery that keeps the reader's interest, whether a first-timer to the series or a fan who's read all of the Pigeon books. Going back to the beginning, The Rope establishes Anna's self-reliant personality and the ways it is tested by her ordeal in the desert and her dealings with others. Supporting characters are also well-defined, as well as details about the not-so-glamorous life of a park ranger. It's a good read.
Tina
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wRim6Wz/]

"People are so worried about what they eat between Christmas and the New Year, but they really should be worried about what they eat between the New Year and Christmas. "
~Author Unknown
MsHeirloom
Master Member

Post by MsHeirloom »

I enjoy reading fiction and non-fiction about the Amish as my grandfather was born  to Amish turned Mennonite parents. Vacationing in Florida right now and knitting. Pam
Last edited by MsHeirloom on March 7th, 2012, 9:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
snowbirdie
Master Member

Post by snowbirdie »

Mary I read all the Amish books out there. I too like Beverly lewis.  I think Braunstetder is another good author. But let me tell you those Dale Cramer books are excellant.  I have never read nicholas sparks. Maybe i should try one. Pam I too had an Amish Grandfather. Alas he left the group when his brothers threw a snake around his neck. He hired onto railroad and became engineer.
      Tina I never read any books by Nevada Barr. Well I have some good Ideas now. TY.
                    judie
Sharolyn

Post by Sharolyn »

I wish I had time to read! I used to be an avid reader. I even owned a small book store in our little town. I sold mostly used books; but, it was fun, just not very profitable.  :sad: When I was a girl, I loved to read biographies. We had a bookmobile that came to our town every 2 weeks. We were allowed to check out 6 books each. So, my sister got 6, my mother got 2 & then, I got my 6 plus, the other 4 using mother's card! lol This was during the summer and I had plenty of time to read. My mother read what she called gothic novels & when I was a teen I read those. These were basically romance novels set in other countries. Some had a mystery or spooky genre to them. Now, I like mostly fiction. I need to have my mini "get a ways" when I read.  :tongue:

Sorry, I didn't have a book to share.
Shari

crickadoodle
Master Member

Post by crickadoodle »

I'm reading Bonhoeffer: Pastor, Martyr, Prophet, Spy by Eric Metaxas.  It is about Dietrich Bonhoeffer's life and how he was part of the resistance in Germany during WWII and is very interesting.  The war is about to break out, actually, but it is interesting how the church responded to Hitler and didn't stand against so much injustice.  The ones who did, like Bonhoeffer, were few in number and looked upon by many as troublemakers. 

Lots of people have been reading a book called The Harbinger.  My husband just ordered it the other night, so I'm planning to read it too, after him.  My pastor's sermons have been based on it, from what I understand, but it is a novel --  but his messages are out of Isaiah-- not novelish at all, so I guess I'll understand better when I read it. 

Bonhoeffer is taking me a while as I read a little before I go to sleep each night and it is over 600 pages, I think.  I got it for my birthday in Sept. -- but I read a book or two in between and many magazines too!!  :)  I think I tend to not read just one thing at a time. I am more than 1/2 way through -- finally!!  Sometimes it makes me feel I'm in WWII Germany, which is a strange, eerie feeling.  I do enjoy stories about people, so biographies are always interesting to me.  I love getting a better view of history too.

Oh, Pam, I am crocheting!!  Now that I care for Mom in our home, I actually have time to read and to have a hobby!!  When I was teaching I used to say, "What on earth is a hobby??"  There was no room for such a thing in my life.  :)  I am making a jacket I found on Pinterest.  I am loving Pinterest.  Anyone else likes it too?  I know Linda has been on it.
Last edited by crickadoodle on March 7th, 2012, 12:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
LINDA RN
Master Member

Post by LINDA RN »

I like the idea of Pinterest but am having a bit of difficulty navigating it.
Guess I don't understand it very well.
Linda
"And ye shall eat in plenty, and be satisfied, and praise the name of the LORD your God, that hath dealt wondrously with you: and my people shall never be ashamed. Joel 2:26

Taste and see that the Lord is good...
LittlePrincess
Master Member

Post by LittlePrincess »

I am reading Positive Imaging right now and I'm getting ready to start The Seat of the Soul.  It's been kind of amazing to me how my interest in reading has been renewed over the last few years.  There is something very calming and delightful in getting lost in a good book for me.

Blessed and Loved,
LP
All you will ever be is you.  Learn to love it.

Post by MsHeirloom »

I have a great deal of difficulty understanding how Pinterest works, also. Are there actually links to patterns?  That would be great. Crick, needle arts are a great, creative hobby. They keep my hands too busy to eat!!!
snowbirdie
Master Member

Post by snowbirdie »

HI folks,
      Help folks please tell me what pinterest is? You know Kris and I live in the frontier and don't often get new ideas.  ha ha ha  Thanks for helping us.
Sharolyn

Post by Sharolyn »

I belong to pinterest; but, I don't know what to do with it either. Anybody want to give a tutorial?  :tongue:

I need to tell you that I don't read much because I, too, do a lot of crocheting! But, right now, I'm embroidering family names & birth dates on the quilt top that my mother & sister have made for my oldest granddaughter. I don't quilt; but, my mother has taught my sister how and they are making some beautiful quilts!
Shari

joecaracappa
Master Member

Post by joecaracappa »

I'm re-reading a bio on Lou Costello "Lou's on First" written by his daughter Chris(It was Lou's birthday yesterday, would have been 106). Bud Abbott jr. was a pal of mine before his death. He told me the best stories, I really miss him!
CHI MANGIA BENE, VIVE BENE.
Who eats well, lives well.
barrypaxton
Master Member

Post by barrypaxton »

I recently enjoyed reading "Heaven is for Real." I'm now reading "Close encounters of a God Kind." Both are very good uplifting books.

Ollie
LDL since 10/13/2009.....Reached Goal Weight 2/14/2011.....88 lbs lost

Make everyday an LDL day!!!        

Life without God is like an unsharpened pencil - it has no point.
jopaul

Post by jopaul »

Judie,
I'm glad that you have some new reading ideas. I'm an avid reader, so anytime that you need a suggestion, just let me know (I work in a library, so I live for books).

Pinterest is a new discovery for me too. I'm fumbling my way through it. I usually follow another poster if I like their post, type of posts or have neat comments. I type in the search engine (upper left corner a topic that I'm interested in and look for picture that touch my heart, make me laugh, or show something that I enjoy doing, seeing or just makes me happy. I put dog in the seach engine and I found a cute dog eyeing a cookie that was clearly out of his reach. The look on that pooch's face was priceless. I also found a picture of two dogs suspended on the top of a wooden fence in clear view of a ball laying in the grass. Both dogs were eyeing that ball (for that one I put in ball into the search engine). I love the quotes on it with a pretty sunset, amazing animal or expression. I've even starting logging my most favorite quotes in a book (like in A Walk to Remember - love that movie). I put pride into the search engine and found a neat picture of an eagle with a flag proudly painted across his head. I love my country and I enjoy looking a pictures of flags, a helpful soldier, etc. One of my favorite board (a collection of pics formed into a group) is "If Money Grew on Trees." In that board I have pictures of houses overlooking a magnificant view, pools that take your breath away - all the things I really can't afford, but if money grew on trees I would definitely have it. Another favorite board of mine is Amazing Animals and Dolphins. It's just fun to collect the pictures (or as we say pinning). I hope I've helped.

Tina
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wRim6Wz/]

"People are so worried about what they eat between Christmas and the New Year, but they really should be worried about what they eat between the New Year and Christmas. "
~Author Unknown
crickadoodle
Master Member

Post by crickadoodle »

Joe -- how interesting that you knew Bud Jr.  He must have had some stories.  Can you share a few??  I read a Christian fiction book to my class when I was a teacher that used in it the whole Who's on first? routine and my students loved it -- that's what I love about classic anything -- they never really go out of style.

Pinterest is sort of user friendly, I find.  I'm learning as I go, I guess, but have found it so useful.  You have boards that are different categories of interest.  You "pin" ideas to your boards that other pinners have already pinned to their boards.  It's like all these neat ideas floating around waiting to be discovered.  Like one of my boards is for crocheting, another is for grain free recipes, another is for ideas for our lake house, one for crafts, one just for neat ideas.  I find it very helpful because I can organize things on the internet that I find interesting and know where to go to easily find them.  I like to go to the original internet spot to pin my ideas, though, and not really pin them straight from another person.  You can get to what you really want the fastest that way.

Here is a link to the crochet pattern I'm working on right now.  I am afraid I will run out of yarn before I quite finish it, though, and I might have to make the sleeves two colors.  Like both starting the same color and then sort of trimmed in a complimentary color.  It'll still look nice.  I got cheap yarn from Big Lots, since I'm just starting to crochet again after a long time.  My stitches are very even though and it has been so easy to pick it up again.  I know I'm going to love doing it again.

http://www.garnstudio.com/lang/us/patte ... 15&lang=us
Last edited by crickadoodle on March 8th, 2012, 1:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
graceface66
Master Member

Post by graceface66 »

Ok I have tried pinterest...can't make it work yet...oh well

I am reading Elizabeth The Queen  by Sally Bedell Smith,  The last Jihad  by Joel Rosenberg and Sixty Acres and A Bride  by Regina Jennings  so far all are good. Have a stack of books waiting to be read, but have been quilting and playing on the puter too much. lol
  Also a little thing called work gets in my way lol..
                              happy reading
                                  kris
If thou shalt confess with your mouth the L-rd Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that G-d hath raised Him from the dead, thou shalt be saved.For with the heart man believeth unto righteousness; and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation. Roman's 10:9-10
mtngirl

Post by mtngirl »

Love Beverly Lewis and Wanda Brunstetter.

I like to listen to audiobooks while doing housework, cooking, decluttering, etc.  The Amish women are inspirations.

I also like thrillers that have a very witty main character and make you laugh out loud.

Alisa