my mum needs convincing about corn thins/popcorn being permitted daily on ldl

The place to go if you have a question that needs answered!
chewy

my mum needs convincing about corn thins/popcorn being permitted daily on ldl

Post by chewy »

my mum wants to try LDL but she is nervous to include the corn thins and air popped popcorn for fear of gaining weight. i said i would get feedback from other longtime LDL followers for their experience. she is 74 5"5 and 130 pounds,very active.she wants to do LDL for the pure health of it-focussing on fruits,veg,beans.
LINDA RN
Master Member

Re: my mum needs convincing about corn thins/popcorn being permitted daily on ldl

Post by LINDA RN »

I am doing air-popped popcorn sprayed generously with EVOO or EVCO and am still loosing.
I ate corn thins in the beginning and lost also.
Pretty much depends on the quantity.
I gave up the cornthins when I found myself eating half a bag in one sitting and the other half later in the day as stress feeding.
She can still loose weight eating either as long as she doesn't go overboard.
I can loose eating a half cup of air-popped popcorn in one sitting as a meal substitue. Usially supper.
Linda
"And ye shall eat in plenty, and be satisfied, and praise the name of the LORD your God, that hath dealt wondrously with you: and my people shall never be ashamed. Joel 2:26

Taste and see that the Lord is good...
chewy

Re: my mum needs convincing about corn thins/popcorn being permitted daily on ldl

Post by chewy »

thanks linda. do you mean 1/2 cup of popped corn or 1/2 cup of unpopped kernels before popping?i will tell her. :D
Joyful Friend
Master Member

Post by Joyful Friend »

Chewy, your mom and I are close in age and stats.  I lost regularly eating corn thins, probably 4 a day, and  one big serving of popcorn in EVCO, probably 2 teaspoons in each batch.  Since I've been at goal, I  eat popcorn occasionally, and cornthins, most every day.  I like hummus and salsa on them when having a bowl of bean soup.  Scrambled eggs are great on them with the skinny cow cream cheese.  They are a staple for me. I don't gain; however it is different for each person.   :thumbsup:  JF
LINDA RN
Master Member

Post by LINDA RN »

chewy wrote:thanks linda. do you mean 1/2 cup of popped corn or 1/2 cup of unpopped kernels before popping?i will tell her. :D

Sorry for the confusion. I did mean a big bowl of 1/2 cup uppopped kernels, The max the air popper will take.
I could eat the whole bowl muself but I usually eat what hubby pops. He usually eats less than half the bowl so I polish off the rest. In that case I usually have some fruit and that is my supper.
Linda
"And ye shall eat in plenty, and be satisfied, and praise the name of the LORD your God, that hath dealt wondrously with you: and my people shall never be ashamed. Joel 2:26

chewy

Post by chewy »

thanks for your replies!:)
crickadoodle
Master Member

Post by crickadoodle »

And Chewy, there are the people like me who have found the opposite to be true.  I can't eat popcorn and lose.  So, I'd recommend that your mom do an experiment on herself like I did.  Eat the popcorn and weigh herself each morning for a week or so and see how it affects her.  I do eat popcorn occasionally, but it doesn't help me lose.  When I'm trying to lose, I stay away from it. 
chewy

Post by chewy »

yes, crickadoodle,i guess it really is individual how one tolerates corn/popcorn. so you don't touch grains/starchy veg at all if no corn?
crickadoodle
Master Member

Post by crickadoodle »

Basically, but I do eat beans and they really help me lose.  I don't quite understand that, except maybe the protein in the beans is what makes the difference for me.  I guess everyone is different in more areas than just fingerprints!  :D
chewy

Post by chewy »

well i love beans  and find them to be a great satisfying food! dr. joel furhman says they should be ones' "preferred carbohydrate" along with fruit and vegetables.
witheraway1
Master Member

Post by witheraway1 »

I am one that if I eat any corn products I will GAIN.....so I stay away.
patns

Post by patns »

LINDA RN wrote:I am doing air-popped popcorn sprayed generously with EVOO or EVCO and am still loosing.
I ate corn thins in the beginning and lost also.
Pretty much depends on the quantity.
I gave up the cornthins when I found myself eating half a bag in one sitting and the other half later in the day as stress feeding.
She can still loose weight eating either as long as she doesn't go overboard.
I can loose eating a half cup of air-popped popcorn in one sitting as a meal substitue. Usially supper.

Linda, I haven't checked in here for a long time. You look amazing!!!! Way to go!
MsHeirloom
Master Member

Post by MsHeirloom »

Patns- You should see Linda's FaceBook photo.  She's looking younger and younger!!!  Congratulations, Linda!
Pam
LINDA RN
Master Member

Post by LINDA RN »

Congratulations Pam on getting below goal!
You are not far from being at a normal BMI!

BTW the facebook picture I am using really does make me look young!!!
I think it was taken 25yrs ago!
Only festive picture I had besides a baby picture with Santa!
Last edited by LINDA RN on November 18th, 2012, 4:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Linda

MsHeirloom
Master Member

Post by MsHeirloom »

Thank you so much, Linda.  You are doing great yourself!!!!!