Several Questions

The place to go if you have a question that needs answered!
snowflakejoy

Several Questions

Post by snowflakejoy »

Hi Roger,

I just finished reading your book and am very excited about it!  I do have several questions though...
1)  You say that you should eat 3 meals a day, I know alot of weight loss plans say that eating 6 small meals a day is better for your metabolism than 3 big ones.  Is that true?  Also, one reason I was asking is because, it seems that if I go more than a couple of hours between eating a little something, my blood sugar seems to go down.  Do you have any suggestions?

2)  Also, you said it would be better not to have too much dairy.  I like the idea of making fruit smoothies in the morning, but I usually use soy milk.  Anyway, is soy milk ok, is that considered dairy or considered a soy bean product? Also, when I use it, I use the vanilla light "60 calories per cup".  Is it ok to use this instead of juice with my frozen fruit in my smoothies?

3) Also, did you say it was ok to also have an egg or egg whites in the morning after your fruit?  If so, will you still lose weight as quickly.  It seems like I feel better if I have a little protein in the morning instead of just carbs (fruit).  Is that ok?

4) Last question, Do most people ususally lose weight at a quick rate on this eating plan?  Ok, that was the last one for now.  I really appreciate any help you can give me.  Thank you so much for your time.
niki

Re: Several Questions

Post by niki »

hi...so wonderful that you've found let's do lunch....i think i can help you with your questions....in the beginning,roger tells everyone that they CAN eat all of the allowable foods at any time while their body substitutes the cravings for unhealthy foods with healthy foods..he also states that you won't lose as quickly,but you will be setting yourself up for success...in my opinion,you should be setting yourself up to follow the program from the beginning....and what roger means is that in the beginning,if you have a craving for something that's on the program,go ahead and eat it..if you want eggs in the morning...if you feel you want protein at dinnertime..but,with time,you should fall into the program the way it's outlined in the book..and believe me,you'll want to once the cravings are gone..when i first started the program,i was still hungry after i ate my fruit..so i ate a big bowl of popcorn with "i can't believe it's not butter"spray on it...in fact, for the first few months,i ate popcorn twice a day...then i came to want that boost to my metabolism that i get with just fruit and i would eat more than one type of fruit and eat until full...for a while,i used to run an errand or get busy doing something at that time to distract my body so i would wait 2 hours to give my body a chance to metabolize the fruit....after 2 hours,i would eat popcorn or soynuts or roasted chick peas(i'm not sure if you can get these where you live..i live in ny..they're all over the place here)soynuts and chick peas you can eat with or without raisins.....with the absence of sugar/grains/nuts/seeds,your blood sugars stabilize....i can't stess the bean soups enough...they absolutely help stabilize your blood sugars and do great things for you...i posted some info on beans on the discussion board "beans..they're what's for lunch AND dinner"...and look for kay's post on healthy living "eat beans and be a string bean"....i had a little hypoglycemic thing going for me...but now i'm great...i'm an RN and i was teaching a pt's wife how to do an accucheck and had her stick my finger to show me she could do it....45 minutes after eating lunch,my blood sugar was 75...that's low for having eaten 45 minutes before........so that will resolve itself as you cut out all the unhealthy carbs.................   
   you can drink all the soymilk you want as long as you find soymilk without sugar(or rice syrup or cane syrup)..carbonite posted a brand of vanilla soymilk that  has no sugar in it ..it's west soy unsweetened vanilla soy milk..but it can be any brand as long as there is no sugar in it(chocolate is not a good idea)....this is not considered dairy...it is soy and therefore a bean product....you can get soynut butter(i.m. healthy brand without sugar in it)you can eat cornthins..there are loads of things you can eat in between when you're hungry.....as far as i'm concerned,i eat at least 6 meals a day by snacking on healthy allowable foods......
   everyone's weight losses vary.....if you read the boards,you'll see....it depends on how much weight you need to lose..your age...how you've lost in the past..i have an underactive thyroid and could not lose before this...i've lost 25 pounds in about 5 months.....i don't care how long it takes to lose this weight...............i'm losing weight and I'M NOT EVEN ON A DIET..........for me this is an awesome thing........make sure to eat until full...keep the more portable snacks handy....NEVER BE HUNGRY.......the switch in your hypothalamus gets turned off and you find you're ONLY eating when you're hungry.......NO CRAVINGS......it's great.......you're going to love this.....and as far as questions go,ask away..............niki
Last edited by niki on July 25th, 2006, 10:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
snowflakejoy

Post by snowflakejoy »

Hi Niki,

Thank you so much for helping me with my questions.  I really appreciate the hint about eating 6 times a day with allowable foods and waiting 2 hours before eating chick peas and also the info about beans.  I will probably have to start out like that until my blood sugar gets regulated.  I am usually not hungry after I eat the fruit but sometimes I just feel a little dizzy or light headed after a couple of hours so until I stable out I will try some of the hints you gave me.  I am looking forward to reading your posts about beans.  Beans are one of my favorite foods.  I really appreciate your hints about  allowable in between foods, I need any hints I can get on that.  Thanks so much for your time.......
Sincerely,   Snowflakejoy   
Mike

Post by Mike »

Hello and welcome to a new way of eating. A really great way! I just have a couple of comments. First, when I started out (four months ago) I was one that had to have eggs for breakfast. It didn't matter how, fried, poached, hard boiled, I had to have them... After a few months I could have cared less.  I still like eggs for breakfast, but I have found other ways to eat breakfast, (WASA bread with sugar free jelly, smoothies, fruit, etc.) and I enjoy it just as much.  As for loosing weight fast. I had a fear of loosing fast and then putting it back on. I had done that in the past and did not want to go through that again.  I am a true believer that if you follow the book, your body will loose weight on its own time schedule.  I only weigh every three weeks and I only use the scales at the Docs office. It is a good scale, it goes high enough for me, and I am not tempted to weigh more often becasue I have to commute to the office. It has worked. Not wanting to loose too fast, I still have lost 55 lbs in four months. If I really wanted I could loose faster with more exercise but I only ride bikes and walk now. Like on other diets, I used to worry "Did I gain or loose this time?"  On LDL you automatically loose every time, (If you follow the book) it is just a matter of how much.  Good luck, I know you will like this new way of eating.  Mike
niki

Post by niki »

it was my pleasure,snowflake....it's GREAT that you like fruit and love beans.....when someone doesn't,they can still do let's do lunch....but,it's a little more challenging to find foods that they can eat....once your blood sugars stabilize,you're going to love becoming almost a little anorexic which is a great feeling for ANYONE who has ever had issues with food....NO CRAVINGS....that's what it is..........keep asking questions.....i love questions.......niki
Last edited by niki on July 25th, 2006, 10:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
snowflakejoy

Post by snowflakejoy »

Thanks Everyone!

I really appreciate it!  Any hints anyone can give me are greatly appreciated!

Have a great day!

Snowflakejoy