frustration

Feel free to talk about anything and everything re Let’s Do Lunch™.
CathyK817
New, but learning

frustration

Post by CathyK817 »

ok, I should not complain after having had a great start.  And...Niki...you did warn me about a plateau.  This is not a plateau.  I have gained back 4 pounds and I'm very frustrated.  The weight gain has been worse since I tried eating more soups and beans.  I also feel miserable.  I know this is not how it or I should feel.  I think I'm going back to my former meal plan with basic meat and vegetables for my protein meal of the day and just fruit at night.  If I continue like this I will stop completely which I see on the horizon.  Not sure what is going on but this is definitely not ok.  I was feeling fine before.  I know I'm not sick.  I also have had comprehensive physicals and I know my thyroid is fine.  The only change is what I was eating.    Clearly, the bean thing is not for me. 
tcasola
Administrator

Re: frustration

Post by tcasola »

I must admit I don’t know how long you have been doing LDL, but can I suggest giving it a little longer (maybe 2 more weeks) and see what happens.

I too am new to the LDL. I can’t tell you how many times I’ve read the book (at least 10 times). I too swore I was doing everything correctly. I recently did a post (see Dieter’s Guilt posting) and posted what I was doing. Roger, Niki and Little Mary were loving enough to give continued encouragement, but also pointed out what I was doing incorrectly. Again, I swore I was doing everything correctly, but now I know differently.

Another suggestion (if not already done) for the next week, write down everything you eat. Then post it. There may be something that needs to be corrected.

Finally, and please I don’t want to get personal, but maybe the weight gain is a temporary womanly thingy. Not being a gal, I would not know about this type of stuff.

I’m in your corner, and rooting for you.
Tom

Philippians 4:13 - I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me

Matthew 22:36-40

“Nothing I will ever eat will give me the feeling I get when I lose weight”
nyKath

Post by nyKath »

Hi, Cathy. Do you feel like you might be taking in more sodium and salt than you're used to? I think I might be having a problem with that. I salt almost nothing except for eggs (and I only eat those rarely) and now with eating the popcorn, Corn Thins, and soy nuts for snacks, I sometimes feel like I'm going to explode. :) Beans are no problem for me, never have been. Take a look at how you normally eat and see if too much salt might be the culprit and try adjusting your intake accordingly. We're all works in progress here and one size doesn't fit all, but with some tweaking, we'll get there! Good luck to ya....nyKath
niki

Post by niki »

hi cathy...tom is absolutely right....let's go over the things you're eating and make sure there isn't something that you're eating that you shouldn't be....
   one thing you did that you shouldn't have,is weigh yourself.....by waiting until my clothes are a little looser and weighing myself then,i figured out at what time of the month i see that loss....because it seems that i see that 5 pound loss at the same time of the month...
   if i weighed myself more often than i do,i would be as discouraged as you are......body weight fluctuates...it just does......and this is a lifestyle change and NOT a diet...
   i guarantee you that this is NOT because you're eating more beans and more bean soups..........when someone doesn't lose easily i recommend that they eat the way i do....no dried fruit or fruit juices...soynuts instead of soynut butter and cornthins..no wasa crisps..etc
  so let's go over what you're eating and we'll resolve this.....niki
Last edited by niki on July 26th, 2006, 9:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
CathyK817
New, but learning

Post by CathyK817 »

Thanks everyone.  I'll hang in there.
As a behaviorist, the frequent measure thing is a given.  I'm not likely to change that.  Thanks for the suggestions. 
CathyK817
New, but learning

Post by CathyK817 »

nyKath,

Thanks so much for your post.  It was so helpful.  I started taking a look at my intake and I had a VERY salty week!!  So, I've been watching the salt and minimized the beans which I was not feeling so good on, and voila!  Back to the weight before I started gaining.  And, I'm feeling thinner again so I'm hopeful we're on the right track.  Thanks for the input! 
niki

Post by niki »

hi cathy..that's good that you cut down on salt and lost the few pounds of fluid you gained...but,please don't think the beans had anything to do with it....assuming you like beans and can eat them,they're an integral part of this program....don't deprive yourself of this because you think they made you retain fluid because that is absolutely not true.........niki
nyKath

Post by nyKath »

Hi and your'e welcome, Cathy! Agree with Niki on this. Beans aren't naturally salty and certainly won't be if you rinse and drain them (if they were canned) before using. The added fiber and bulk of them, and possibly the added gas in your colon, though, may be contributing to you feeling not right. Maybe you could just add some frozen cooked edamame (expensive but worth it to me for the convenience) to your shakes for now or even some to your salads, or experiment in other ways with just one type of bean at a time, maybe over the course of a week, to see if there's a "culprit" bean that your body just doesn't like. As to the salt and bloating/retention, you could cut back on the Corn Thins and/or only eat unsalted popcorn. If you pop it yourself and spray with the olive oil, it should still have enough flavor to be tasty. And even UNsalted soy nuts are quite palatable. (I like them better than the salted ones!) It tastes almost like you have a mouthful of peanut butter if you have a good enough handful to chew on! :) Remember that the soy cheeses will be salty, too, so consider those in moderation if you've been melting them on your Corn Thins or on top of your soups or tossing them into the salads. I don't salt anything at all in my cooking except for the occasional egg, so when I'm feeling bloated, I cut way back or eliminate these few salty snacks for a few days and that seems to do the trick. With some detective work and determination, everyone can tweak the plan so that it's the perfect fit for them. :) nyK
niki

Post by niki »

cathy..now i'm confused about what we're talking about.....fluid retention from sodium or bloating caused by beans?............if you feel bloated because of the beans,why don't you try lentil soup which is easier to digest to give your body a chance to get used to the beans?......or one of the pureed soups?....niki
CathyK817
New, but learning

Post by CathyK817 »

ok---I don't eat most of the things mentioned in the e-mails above.  I found that edamame does not work for me in any form.  I was eating pureed soups.  There are some beans that I can eat without a problem but it seems that increasing the types of beans and frequency with which I ate them was resulting in not only the gas problem and chronic stomach pains but also constipation and lethargy.  I have stopped them except in small doses and I feel wonderful again.  And...the losing has started all over again.  I started watching the salt intake as well and that is also helping.  I have never eaten soy butter.  I rarely do the corn thins and I have never once had a piece of soy cheese.  I don't like smoothies as I have never been one to like to "drink" my caloric intake.  So, they're not culprits or solutions at this point.  I'm choosing not to salt my foods and that seems to be doing the trick.  So, I guess in answer to your confusion niki, it appears to have been a multi-pronged problem which is much improved.  I'm also being very careful to get more than enough water after having read one of the posts on water intake.  Definitely better and still on track.  Past the hump of whatever it was---thank goodness! 
niki

Post by niki »

hi cathy..in that case,foodwise you 're doing everything you should be doing...do you eat lentil soup?..lentils are a lot easier to digest than beans...
  i retain a lot of fluid a lot of the time...so especially at this time of the year in this hot weather,i absolutely won't weigh myself until my clothes are loose...when it's hot in the summer,my body thinks it's in the desert and holds on to as much fluid as it can...and the older i get,the worse it gets..........niki     
CathyK817
New, but learning

Post by CathyK817 »

Niki, I've never had lentils so I will look into that. I never really had problems with beans in the past either but I was not eating them as often as I was trying to in recent weeks.  I may give the lentil soup a try once I'm sure that I'm settled again as I'm not really up for risking my newfound GI calm so soon again. Plus if I add something back in I want to have done everything very normally for a while, make one change and be able to see what happens and know what did it.  Thanks for the ideas.
CathyK817
New, but learning

Post by CathyK817 »

I tried but no luck.  Thanks anyway. 

I'm doing my little research study in a week or two to try to add things back in one thing at a time and see what it is that does not seem to agree with me.  I'm suspicious that it may be certain beans and I was doing a lot of different types of beans in different recipes all at once.  I have eaten them before with less problem so I'm going to give it a whirl.  Still, I'm enjoying feeling better again and will wait a while before changing the mix again. 

Thanks for the suggestion.
niki

Post by niki »

that's a very wise approach cathy...keep me posted about your conclusions..........niki
Queenie
Administrator

Post by Queenie »

Cathy - how many Beano tablets did you take?  (or drops?)  Maybe it would just take a little more.  I noticed on the drops that it says to take 5 per serving.  And then it says that the average meal consists of 3 servings - that's 15 DROPS with the first bite....

interesting...

Carolyn
My Weight Loss ProgressImage

John's Weight Loss ProgressImage

[b][i]"The journey of a thousand miles begins with the first step."
nyKath

Post by nyKath »

Hey, Queenie...how much is a bottle of Beano by you? I don't need to take these, thank goodness, but I was curious as to the price. Here in my area of NY that teeny, eye drop sized bottle was $10-11!! Yikes...Just didn't seem like you'd get enough doses out of it to justify the price, and I'm wondering how prices vary around the country. Thx! nyKath
Queenie
Administrator

Post by Queenie »

Kathy - I can't imagine I paid any more than about 6 bucks for it... that's a HUGE difference!!

You live in NYC, right?  I live in Virginia Beach.....

Carolyn
My Weight Loss ProgressImage

John's Weight Loss ProgressImage

[b][i]"The journey of a thousand miles begins with the first step."
nyKath

Post by nyKath »

Hi, Q. Wow, big difference in price! And it was that high in several types of stores here, too. Like I said, glad I can eat beans and broccoli w/o "distress!" And, no, I'm not exactly right down there in the big Apple. I'm 2 hrs north of it up here in President Roosevelt country, near Poughkeepsie, Vassar College and Hospital, and the CIA cooking school. It's just a small burg of a place, but we certainly have high prices in just about everything just like in the "big city." Be glad for your low prices! :) nyKath