Boca burgers

The place to go if you have a question that needs answered!
loves2smile

Boca burgers

Post by loves2smile »

Hello All-

Are Boca burgers allowed on the LDL program?  For those of you who are not familiar with Boca burgers, they are essentially "veggie burgers".

Thanks-
Barbara :) :)
:):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):)
niki

Re: Boca burgers

Post by niki »

hi barbara...i don't suggest you eat these at all....i'm sure if i looked through the ingredients,i would find at least a couple of ingredients that would be let's do lunch unacceptable...i remember from my vegetarian days when i used to buy them that i was surprised at the ingredients i saw in them..it's just not worth it..it's not worth losing that state of being completely craving free...i haven't eaten chocolate for months.....i went off of the program when i went away with a group when i was on the program for a month....other than that,i haven't eaten chocolate for 6 months...i used to have a major chocolate addiction(hardly went a day without it)
   let me share something that i did....someone gave me a small bottle of pumpkin seed oil....i didn't want to waste it...we eat sunflower seed oil.safflower oil...i put a small amount of flaxseed oil on my popcorn.....roger had told us that we could have oil from seeds...when i opened the bottle,i saw that it was brown..when i put it on my popcorn i noticed it looked a little green...the colors of pumpkin seeds....still,i used it....after the first day,i was hungry at night(i haven't been hungry at night for 6 months)...the second day,i was hungry again an hour after i ate my big meal....still,i thought it was my imagination......day 3 and i started feeling the way i felt before being on let's do lunch...all i can say was i felt like someone had thrown me back in the goldfish bowl after i had been successfully swimming in the big tank.....day 4..i threw it in the garbage....that was 3 days ago...i am still hungrier than i used to be..THIS WAS NOT WORTH IT...........i would say that the pumpkin seed oil had too much of the essence of the pumpkin seed to make it acceptable for us   i will say it again...if you do not cut ALL sugar/grains/nuts/seeds from your diet,you will not get rid of the cravings...and that's the whole point of this program..to stabilize your blood sugars and GET RID of the cravings........that's what it's all about...that's what saved roger's life and that's what will help us be our ideal size and save some of our lives also........sincerely,niki.
Last edited by niki on July 31st, 2006, 6:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TEAFORTWO

Post by TEAFORTWO »

Mary,
Thanks so much for the info. Does that mean the (Gardenburger) Soy burger is out too? I can't find anything bad in ingredients, but there is some sesame oil, I doubt much.  ???
robnveronica
Master Member

Post by robnveronica »

I looked up ingredients of these "Vegan" soy burgers...if you look at their list it contains: Rice, or grains, oats, corn syrup etc that are completely against LDL!!!

You may of course do as you wish, but if your weight loss doesn't happen as easily as it should or if you don't become craving free it won't be because LDL isn't working as it should it could be because of the ingredients in these "HEALTHY" alternatives. I'm sorry...I just wouldn't take the chance...after all, We came to LDL because we couldn't lose weight any other way and we've found the healthiest way to live!!!
Good luck to you in your quest for health!
Veronica
Queenie
Administrator

Post by Queenie »

Hi, Teafortwo - I went online and found the ingredients for Gardenburgers.  I knew before I even looked that they were filled with non-LDL friendly things, but here is the list:

INGREDIENTS:
Tomatoes, Soy Protein Concentrate-Hydrated, Cooked Penne Pasta (Water, Enriched Semolina [Niacin, Ferrous Sulfate {Iron}, Thiamine Mononitrate, Riboflavin, Folic Acid], Wheat Starch, Powdered Wheat Protein, Wheat Protein Isolate). Contains less than 2% of the following: Bread Crumbs (Wheat Flour, Sugar, Salt, Soybean Oil, Yeast), Parmesan Cheese (Pasteurized Part Skim Milk, Cheese Cultures, Salt, Enzymes), Canola and/or Soybean Oil, Vegetable Gum, Salt, Autolyzed Yeast Extract - don't know what this is, but it may not be LDL friendly, Spices, Garlic, Sauteed Vegetables (Carrot, Onion, Celery), Dried Garlic, Sugar, Natural Flavor, Citric Acid, Dried Tomato, Dried Onion, Caramel Color- not sure about this, Butter.
Last edited by Queenie on December 6th, 2006, 10:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My Weight Loss ProgressImage

John's Weight Loss ProgressImage

[b][i]"The journey of a thousand miles begins with the first step."
niki

Post by niki »

isn't it something,guys,how something that seems so harmless is bad for ldlers?.....luckily,we don't need to rely on that stuff..there are SO MANY things we can eat....and if you plan it right,you don't need to cook all that much to come up with some great meals....with a 6 quart crockpot,you can make LOADS of soup in one shot.....one reason i like to put a lot of vegetables in my soup is that once you're on let's do lunch for a while,you really can't eat that much....so,a lot of times,i'll eat a big bowl of soup and a piece of grilled chicken....and i'm FULL.....so by putting a lot of vegetables in my soup,i kill 2 birds with one stone(that's an expression)......niki      
TEAFORTWO

Post by TEAFORTWO »

Hi Veronica,
No disrespect intended, but I think we are talking about 2 different products. It doesn't contain rice or oats, grains. This is another product called Gardenburger soy burgers. I don;t think there is anything bad in them. Maybe yeast extract?
???
TEAFORTWO

Post by TEAFORTWO »

Hi Queenie,
Can you give me the website you got that from? It doesn't match what the box says at all. I am confused!  ???
niki

Post by niki »

t42,look at the ingredients that carolyn posted for gardenburger soy burgers...i also went on their web site(i put gardenburger soy burger in my search engine) and saw the ingredients....mary was the one who found cornthins and soynut butter.....believe me when i say that if there WAS a soy burger that was ldl friendly,mary would have found it.....it's just that these are meant as a meat alternative,so they don't think anything of adding all those grains for flavor.....honestly though,if i was a vegetarian,the use of corn syrup and sugar would offend me.....................niki    
robnveronica
Master Member

Post by robnveronica »

t42 no offense taken. i just went to yahoo search engine and entered "gardenburger"
When got to their site, I didn't see one that specifically said "soy" but did look up ones w/ * by the name that said they were "vegan", each one I clicked on had the non LDL friendly ingredients. You just have to look up info yourself and decide if ingredients are ok or not...otherwise post all the ingredients here and we'll tell you if they are LDL friendly or not! sorry If I upset or offended you!

Keep looking you'll find something!
TEAFORTWO

Post by TEAFORTWO »

Hi guys,
This is what is on the label on the box:
Gardenburger "Flame Grilled Burgers" Soy Burgers:

Soy Protein Concentrate-hydrated, Canola oil, Soy protein Isolate, Ground flax seed, Salt, Dried Onion, Vegetable Gum, Yeast Extract, Autolyzed yeast extract, Sesame Oil, Natural Flavor, Caramel Color, Spices, Calcium Lactate, Safflower Oil

No offense taken! We're just all here on the same journey, and here to support each other along the way!
;D
EnJae
Master Member

Post by EnJae »

"Soy Protein Concentrate-hydrated, Canola oil, Soy protein Isolate, Ground flax seed [seed], Salt, Dried Onion, Vegetable Gum, Yeast Extract, Autolyzed yeast extract, Sesame Oil, Natural Flavor (this can have hidden sugars), Caramel Color, Spices, Calcium Lactate (milk product), Safflower Oil (from a seed)"

I'd still leave this alone if you can. Is there a reason you don't want to eat a mixture of lean ground beef and lean ground turkey breast? [Not being critical; just asking.]
Last edited by EnJae on December 7th, 2006, 3:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Queenie
Administrator

Post by Queenie »

My apologies, TFT - The ingredients I gave you were for the Gardenburger Meatballs...  I did go back and looked under the Original Gardenburger ingredients, but I didn't get the same thing that you got...

Soy Protein Concentrate-Hydrated, Onions, Cooked Brown Rice, Mushrooms, Rolled Oats, Mozzarella Cheese [Pasteurized Milk, Cultures, Salt, Enzymes], Nonfat Milk, Corn Starch (to use only in moderation), Natural Flavors, Annatto [Vegetable Color]), Isolated Soy Protein. Contains less than 2% of: Feta Cheese (Cultured Pasteurized Part -Skim Milk, Salt, Enzymes), Salt, Olive and/or Canola Oil, Sorrel, Parmesan Cheese (Partially Skim Milk, Culture, Enzymes, Salt), Garlic, Vegetable Gum, Bulgur Wheat-Hydrated, Spinach, Autolyzed Yeast Extract, Dried Garlic, Wheat Fiber, Spices, Malted Barley, Citric Acid, Natural Butter Flavor, Annatto (Vegetable Color), Natural Flavor, Dried Onion, Dried Mushrooms.

This product contains corn, milk, oats, soy and wheat.

I went to this site and you can click on each gardenburger product:
http://www.dietfacts.com/list.asp?type=brand&brand=Gardenburger

Carolyn
My Weight Loss ProgressImage

John's Weight Loss ProgressImage

[b][i]"The journey of a thousand miles begins with the first step."
TEAFORTWO

Post by TEAFORTWO »

Hi Carolyn,
Thanks for the site info. The flame grilled soy burger is the one I have. However, the ingredients listed on the box are slightly different than the ingredients they post on that site. The box says no gluten, but does have ground flaxseed. Interesting. Anyway, in response to NJ, I am away from home for several weeks and they don't have my favorite turkey patties here, so I picked these up since they seemed ok.

Carolyn-
What I posted earlier is straight from the box, but the website you gave me had this:

INGREDIENTS:
Soy Protein Concentrate-Hydrated, Canola Oil, Vegetable Gum, Wheat Gluten, Salt, Natural Flavors, Autolyzed Yeast Extract, Sesame Oil, Caramel Color, Soy Sauce (Water, Wheat, Soybeans, Salt), Dried Onion, Natural Grill Flavor (from Vegetable Oil), Dried Yeast, Ascorbic Acid.

This product contains corn, sesame, soy, sunflower and wheat.
This product is Vegan.
100% Natural.

I just didn't want to have to throw these out. I will be sticking to more "natural" stuff in the future.
TEAFORTWO

Post by TEAFORTWO »

Thanks Roger! I agree with Niki, it does seem there's lots of "harmless" ingredients in things that we don't know about, and they are marketed as "healthy" foods. I will be paying more attention to ingredients, instead of just sugar and fat grams! 8)
Corky
New, but learning

Post by Corky »

Little Mary could you come up with a version of Boco Burgers? Maybe call them Bean Burgers?, before LDL I use to love Boco Burgers and Garden Burgers. Used to grill them on the George Forman.  I had a recipe once that was similar, using pinto & black beans, onion, celery leaves, shredded carrot etc.  I think I am now addicted to beans!  Corky
Corky