Chick Pea Pops

Wonderful fruit dishes as well as other LDL approved treats!
Sarah
New, but learning

Chick Pea Pops

Post by Sarah »

I just cooked up a 97 cent bag of chickpeas....  I am staring at the pot thinking, "what am I going to do with all these chickpeas??!"  I discovered a delightful popcorn change of pace....  pop these bad boys in your mouth for a snack and you'll be full for HOURS!

Chick Pea Poppers

Chickpeas, canned and rinsed (or homemade)
Seasoned salt

Spread desired amount of rinsed chickpeas on a broiler pan.  Sprinkle with seasoned salt.   Broil close to the broiler, tossing occasionally, for about 15 minutes~ until they turn brown and crispy on the outside.

Remove from oven and enjoy!   ;D 

(If you make more than you will eat at once, they will need to be stored in the fridge.)

I haven't tried this with the canned ones~  these were my homemade boiled chickpeas.  The homemade ones might be a little "drier" and easier to make into a crispy pop.  They were GOOD!   :D

Sarah
niki

Re: Chick Pea Pops

Post by niki »

excuse me sarah....but i am the token greek around here who has been eating roasted chick peas ALL her life(which is a VERY long time)
  i'm glad you discovered them and very glad that you like them....if you check the boards,you'll see a LONG posting for them on the recipe boards...people were not having success with making them and rhea in england who makes her own soy nuts successfully made roasted chick peas using the same method she uses to make soynuts.........
  i think they're great and they're a great addition to the soynuts and popcorn(those are the 3 things i snack on)...i don't make them because i live in ny where they sell them almost on every street corner(maybe not in my neighborhood but in queens where i grew up and where my father and brother still  live)........
  i love chick peas...cold with salad...in homemade soups...AND a roasted snack........my son's friend told me i'm going to turn into a chick pea.............
  keep enjoying them...AND the way greeks traditionally eat them is with golden raisins........God bless you...niki
Sarah
New, but learning

Post by Sarah »

My humble apologies, Niki!  I haven't seen that post...  I am new, and have been trying to learn all the great recipes available.  I love to cook (and unfortunately then I "wear" it!) and plan to try all these yummy recipes.  I did not see anything about the chickpeas yet.  Guess I'd better slow down!

With golden raisins?  Wow, that sounds awesome! 

Thanks for setting me straight!  ;) ;D

Sarah
niki

Post by niki »

you're so nice sarah....i was teasing you(it's hard to tease someone online with no voice inflections)
  but,i think it's GREAT that you looked into this without  having that interest piqued by the boards............now,look for those posts...and i just checked and realized that the heading of the post is "garbanzo nuts".....also look for rhea's posting on homemade soynuts for exactly how she made them so you can compare what you did..........and keep everyone posted.....once it cools off,i told myself i was going to try making the chick peas myself just to see how they compare with the ones i buy........
  waldbaums by me has organic golden raisins without sulfites which i am a little allergic to because i have a sulfa allergy...so once i lose all the weight i want to lose,i'll start buying them and adding them to my chick peas............sincerely,niki
Sarah
New, but learning

Post by Sarah »

Thanks for all the tips....  I will keep searching the recipes!

It is hard to tease in email sometimes, isn't it?!   :o  But I gotcha! 

Now, do tell (maybe it's somewhere else and you can point me there if you want...) What is the "Queen for a Day" you have on your posts?  Looks interesting!  ??

Sarah
niki

Post by niki »

hi sarah....i don't know...tori gave it to me...maybe it's because i come from queens.............flushing,queens that is  ..niki
niki

Post by niki »

just take a look, mary, for rhea's recipe for homemade soynuts...i went back and forth with her on the boards about wether she could use the same recipe for chickpeas and she did...the only thing is that she DID bake them....she didn't broil them and they came out good....i'm going to try making them when it cools off a little up here just to compare how the homemade ones taste compare to the ones you buy.........
  it still surprises me that noone in my family ever made them homemade...we used to make so many other things homemade....homebaked easter bread, homemade pita(i mean the pies like spanakopita and i mean without buying that papery stuff that they sell)
  so i'm going to try making them to see how they come out.....but NOW i don't know which recipe to follow................niki
Sarah
New, but learning

Post by Sarah »

Mary, I think it's probably a taste "you either like or you don't."  I like things like that you can just pop in your mouth.  I like soy nuts, but they are so small you end up eating "bunches" at a time, and that's not a good thing for people like me who will eat too many anyway!  Something like a chick pea slows me down!  LOL!

Oh, Niki, the smells coming from your house growing up must have been wonderful!  Not to mention the tastes.  Homemade pita!  How delightful! 

Is there any type of corn-something-or-other that anyone has found works for a wrap?  I'm enjoying using lettuce for now, but winter's coming! 

Mary, I made your pizza soup yesterday~  YUMM!  My hubby said it was delicious too!

Sarah
niki

Post by niki »

hi sarah..no,none of those wraps work with let's do lunch..
  actually,the smells emanating from my own kitchen used to be pretty good..i used to bake my own bread,my own  pizza,all the greek specialty cookies and pastries ..WELL,now my kitchen emanates the aroma of ldl allowable foods like homemade bean soups which smell great to me...
  when i visited my mother's family in peru,i asked my aunt to show me how to make homemade pita....i write pita but that's the way you say it in greek...what i'm really talking about is homemade philo dough......the only time i used to buy the ready made philo dough was when i made galactobureko...for years i have been making spanakopita making the philo dough myself...it has almost become a lost art...gee,i wonder if i could make it with chickpea flour.....you know,i might try that in the winter...there's no leavening in philo dough and THAT would make a GREAT wrap....................niki
Last edited by niki on August 3rd, 2006, 7:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bobbi

Post by Bobbi »

HI,

I am not trying to be funny, but I do not know what a Chick Pea is?
Where can I find these in the grocery store? Frozen? In Cans?
They sound like something I would like.

I did buy Soynuts for the first time in my life & liked them alot, however
I noticed that they were Honey Roasted after having a hand full. Second ingredient is Vegetable Oil. These were the only Soynuts I found, they were right in the vegetable area. Does anyone have a Brand Name for the Soynuts they eat?

Welcome to LDL Sarah! You sound like a fun person.  :)
nyKath

Post by nyKath »

Hi, Bobbi. A chick pea is a garbanzo bean or a ceci bean in Italian (I think!). They come dry in bags or in bulk like split peas do or you find them in with the other canned beans - kidney, black, lima, small white, black-eyed peas, lentils, etc. They're easiest to use when right from the cans, just rinse and drain them first to get the salty solution off, but if you're inclined, you can use your slow cooker or soak them overnight if you buy the dry ones. (check the posts for others that have done it this way. I always take the easy way out!) And I just like them best tossed onto a salad maybe cooked up with a little fresh garlic or cooked up into the many bean soup recipes that are posted here. Finding roasted chick peas as snacks seems to be very tough for most of us unless you have a large ethnic population nearby. I did manage to find some at a local market, but the taste was off, so I'm in search of those again, too.

There are lots of brands of soy nuts and some have no brand at all and are also just purchased in bulk or in plastic containers. There was one brand, Homa, that had seasoned ones and when I looked on the label after purchasing - duh! - I saw that they had corn flour in the seasoning! They also tasted nasty, too, so I won't buy those again. I'm finding that I even like just the dry roasted ones w/o salt the best, but then again I rarely use salt in cooking and never was one for the salty snacks. Give 'em a try! If you can't find any in the vegetable area, try the bulk area of the store or the International Foods area or where the nuts for baking are sold. And/or look around for a gourmet or specialty foods store (middle eastern or Indian) or health food store. You may have luck there, too. Good luck! nyKath
Queenie
Administrator

Post by Queenie »

OK - I bought a bag of chick peas last night.  I think I'll try to make these over the weekend....

Niki - what a great idea with making a "wrap".......  Would you boil them first, or just try to grind them into flour???  Being a cook, I'm most intrigued!!!

Carolyn
My Weight Loss ProgressImage

John's Weight Loss ProgressImage

[b][i]"The journey of a thousand miles begins with the first step."
Bobbi

Post by Bobbi »

Thank You Nykath for all of that info.

I also was wondering about split peas as well & you mentioned them.
I will look around for these (in the can  :) )

I will also look for the soynuts! I do not like salty foods to much either.
Mark F.

Post by Mark F. »

Sarah,

Thanks for the idea. I broiled some tonight but I put some garlic hot sauce in the bottom of the pan and rolled the chick peas in the sauce. They were great. Thanks to your post I found a new snack.

Mark
niki

Post by niki »

hi carolyn..i just noticed these posts about the chick peas...i buy the roasted chick peas from a greek specialty store...i like those unsalted better...i pay like $2.50/lb....those i now mix with raisins...i'm allergic to sulfa so i buy organic raisins without sulfites........you can also buy roasted chick peas in some supermarkets in ny...they taste a little dry with a nice flavor.......i put these roasted chickpeas in the blender and make a flour..i use it as the filler for my meatballs..i dredge my chicken in it....richard used soynuts in the same way to make catfish and so i altered the recipes to state either chick pea or soynut flour.......if you want to make these from scratch,you can check sarah's recipe or you can look for a recipe of rhea's for soynuts and can adapt the recipe to chickpeas.....
  i had told myself that i would try making them when the weather got colder to see how they compare to the ones i buy....then i would use the dried beans....i only use canned beans for a fast meal...otherwise i use dried beans....they're healthier and more nutritional(especially when soaked overnight)...
  i buy soynuts from fairway market near me....they're $1.49/lb..i've gotten the salted and unsalted of these and prefer the salted ones............niki
Queenie
Administrator

Post by Queenie »

Niki - You're lucky to have a grocery store like Fairway where you live.  That is the one and only thing I miss about living in the DC area - the grocery stores and (huge) health food stores.  And since there were so many of them, the prices were good - very competitive.

Now, here in Virginia Beach, it's another matter...  I believe we have only one really good health food store (unfortunately not right around the corner) and it is pretty expensive.  The others tend to be "mom & pop" type stores and are very small and VERY expensive.

I forgot to mention that I made the chick-pea pops.  I used Rhea's recipe.  They were good, but very hard.  I may broil the next ones.  The flavor, however, was awesome, but not salty at all.  I think they would've been a little bit better with a bit of salt.  John suggested that I salt the water that I cook the beans in, and I think I'll do that next time.  You would think with all the cooking that I've done over the years that I would think of that - it's just that I totally forget to salt any water - got out of the habit years ago.

Anyway, thanks for bringing this to the top again...

Carolyn
My Weight Loss ProgressImage

John's Weight Loss ProgressImage

[b][i]"The journey of a thousand miles begins with the first step."
niki

Post by niki »

hi carolyn....i probably wouldn't have salted that water either...that was a good idea.....but you can salt them after you broil them while they're still warm..the truth is i like the soynuts salted but not the chick peas...but,this could just be that we ate the unsalted ones when we were kids and the unsalted ones are more familiar....
  when i went online to look for someone online who sells these, i couldn't believe i couldn't find anyone...i still don't understand why i can't find anyone.......
  well,luckily they can be made...and luckily for everyone that the things most important to this program...fruits..vegetables...beans..are plentiful everywhere...............niki       
smackeythefrog
New, but learning

Post by smackeythefrog »

You don't have to use cooked chickpeas to make stragalia. All you have to do is soak the chickpeas overnight and then roast them. I've heard but people say that chickpeas make crackling and popping noises when being soaked but I've never witnessed this phenomenon.
I am a warrior for peace who chases the mayfly known as love.